Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 12:52 AM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,686,739 times

Advertisements

Knowing what you know now based on your own experiences..
About college, or employment choices? what would you tell your younger self
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2013, 01:36 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,186,065 times
College: You'll probably never have an opportunity like this again. Don't treat college like a vocational school...pursue an education that opens you up as a person, that challenges and excites you, that helps you learn not to be afraid to learn.

Employment: No job is forever, but eight hours a day is a big chunk of your life. And it's not all about the money.

Old 01-24-2013, 01:47 AM

414 posts, read 1,094,769 times
Exercise more and don't eat so much. You'll get fat and have a hell of a time working it off.

I have no regrets about my life so far, it's made me who I am today. However, if I had the opportunity to talk to my past self, I might say a few things.

1) Go to an "inexpensive" public university rather than the expensive private university. Yes, the classes for the degree are somewhat better than the public university, and you'll be given many more opportunities for hands-on experience at the private school, but you will save yourself tens of thousands of dollars that could be put to better use in the future.

2) Work your college job for a few more years so as to save up a larger amount of seed money before launching your business.

3) Learn to be more personable over the phone. Sure, written and in-person communication is great, but you've got to learn how to interact more easily over the phone, because many people will refuse to communicate any other way.

Also the fat thing.

Old 01-24-2013, 01:59 AM

6,326 posts, read 6,587,635 times
You have one life and dozens of realistic choices. None of those leads to the perpetual Nirvana. No matter what you'd choose, you will be wondering about "what if". In a college study what you like (because it's a waste to study something you don't like), don't pay attention to status anxiety and social pressure. If "women studies" and "basket weaving" excite you, go for it. If making the most money possible excite you more, go for it. Just follow voices inside of you, no matter how "low status" and "low income" those voices might be, if you do that, you'll be content sitting broke & homeless on the side of a road. If you don't follow those voices, no amount of "accomplishments" would make you content. Make friends and good acquaintances when you are young, cherish every semi-meaningful friendship/relationship you have when you are young, because that's the best you will ever get. That's these friends who would help you to live, that's them who would attend your funerals. The older you get, the more conditional relationships (of all kinds) become.

Old 01-24-2013, 02:06 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,266,175 times
Get a more "marketable" degree than social science!

Old 01-24-2013, 04:22 AM

8,051 posts, read 12,769,823 times
Never stop learning: Rather than waste time watching television or other pointless activities take an hour or two a day to learn new things.

Never settle in at a job you don't like. I stayed in a job for 20 years that paid decently but one I did not enjoy. It was surprising what a relief it was when they closed down.

Old 01-24-2013, 04:57 AM

1,761 posts, read 2,605,513 times
-Major in accounting, minor in English
- Get internships starting in freshmen year
- Marketable degree, marketable degree

Old 01-24-2013, 05:55 AM

126 posts, read 429,459 times
Stop trying to be a writer. It's pointless. Don't take out student loans. Work your way through school. Don't worry about how long it takes to finish. Take extra math classes. Don't let the fear of not understanding the subject stop you. Get a degree in coding or computers and get yourself in a tech company.

Old 01-24-2013, 06:56 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,298,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
Knowing what you know now based on your own experiences..
About college, or employment choices? what would you tell your younger self
To have left an locking employment situation, and explore the world.

Old 01-24-2013, 07:14 AM

8,963 posts, read 8,915,723 times
join the coast guard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment