Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 10:19 AM

35,083 posts, read 31,331,023 times

Advertisements

College - I should have gone the University of Tennessee - Knoxville instead of East TN State University. This would put me at a much more reputable school where I wouldn't have become so bored. I would have majored either in computer science or MIS - I love economics and finance, but jobs do not exist in those fields, and I didn't even discover economics until I was in college for three or four years.

Moving - I should have moved out of TN ASAP after school. TN has a very poor economy, and at least in east TN, almost all jobs are in medical, education, or leisure/hospitality. TN has no substance to its economy and is not the place for a young person to build a career.

Career - I wish I had just stayed at my first job after college. Pay wasn't great and the drive was long, but they did reimburse on education/certifications. I should have taken advantage of those before relocating.

Other than personal stuff, not too much else
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2013, 10:35 AM

5,342 posts, read 6,170,171 times
Keep doing exactly what you are doing. You will get exactly where you want to be in life.

Old 01-30-2013, 10:52 AM

3,082 posts, read 5,440,441 times
Don't let people get you down. People can sometimes be ruthless and judgmental if they are insecure about themselves or afraid of what they don't understand. Ignore them, do not let them influence you or your ambitions in life. They will tell you that you can't do this or can't do that because they were never able to achieve it. Let them drown in their own sorrows, don't allow them to take you down with them. Rely on your close family and closest friends for support, they are likely the only ones to provide it to you on your journey.

Old 01-30-2013, 11:01 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,497,010 times
Apply to college during senior year of high school. If you wait too long, you miss deadlines.

Oh...and ditch the loser significant other that drags you down.

Old 01-30-2013, 12:28 PM

7,975 posts, read 7,356,074 times
"Get your butt into culinary school. You have a talent for it. Office work is NOT for you. Computers are looming and you will grow to hate them. You hate school now? An office job will require you to spend time in school until your twilight years, learning all the new computer programs..." I liked business school and I was really good at typing and short hand. I've always loved cooking and baking and I worked at a bakery through my teens and early twenties.

"You will NOT meet someone and marry well working in an office or marry a doctor just because you work for him". Ha ha. I married the owner of the baker where I worked.

Now, with the "Cake Boss" series, I wonder what I missed out on! I LOVE to bake cakes, experiment, and decorate.

Old 01-30-2013, 12:38 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,692,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Never take a job that pays less than $80,000 a year that "gives" you a cell phone.
So true...

Old 01-30-2013, 02:16 PM

1,039 posts, read 2,426,937 times
-Have more patience

-Treat others how you want to be treated

-Lastly,

And it might take you at least a decade to find the career or job that you actually want because as you age and go from job to job (plus going to school/trades), you may find something completely different you want to do at age 28 instead of age 18.

Old 01-30-2013, 04:38 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,304,342 times
Many Things

1. Don't be too humble. It's better to provide the impression of confidence at all times because people judge you based on your confidence. Unfortunately, showing humility doesn't pay off in the work place. You don't want to be arrogant but you definitely want to have a little swagger and show confidence at all times. A lot of people don't know any more than you do but provide the impression that they do and advance. Being humble is sometimes equated with being weak.
2. Put your ego aside and make the effort to get along with everyone.
3. Don't ever gossip at work and stay out of the gossip circles. If other people engage in it, stay away or change the subject.

Old 01-30-2013, 04:46 PM

273 posts, read 1,061,435 times
avoid american women.

Old 01-30-2013, 05:02 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,846,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guest4 View Post
avoid american women.
^^ THIS. All they care about is money and they expect to be pampered.

Most of the women I meet are shallow, materialistic, and bitchy. I'd say maybe 1 out of 20 are decent and not completely selfish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment