Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 09:35 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,102,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
is that why so many women ask me if i like my job? lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
This is such a good question.

1. Figure out what you love and do it.
2. Save as much money as you can because the economy will suck and you'll get caught in a bad situation
3. If you want to be married, you better learn how to communicate with women, including but not limited to expressing your feelings.
4. Never buy a brand new car.
5. Learn to meditate or become more spiritual, as you'll need a way to stay positive and calm when times get tough. Family will not be there.
6. Count on nobody but yourself and never trust anyone 100%.
7. Learn how to fake being an extrovert because they're the successful ones professionally and personally.
Funny, I'd give myself almost the exact opposite advice.

1. Figure out what you love and do it on the side.
2. Put yourself in a position to make $ in the future by putting yourself into debt now.
3. If you want to get married, you better make $ AND know how to talk to women AND, etc, etc, etc...
4. Never buy a used car for more than $2000-3000.
5. Ok.
6. There are people you can trust and lean on. They just might not have the other qualities most people seek in friends ... looks, coolness, wealth, popularity, interesting stories, etc.
7. Ok.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2013, 09:42 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,037,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post

2. Put yourself in a position to make $ in the future by putting yourself into debt now.
3. If you want to get married, you better make $ AND know how to talk to women AND, etc, etc, etc...
5. Ok.
6. There are people you can trust and lean on. They just might not have the other qualities most people seek in friends ... looks, coolness, wealth, popularity, interesting stories, etc.
7. Ok.

When a lady online askes me......what do you do for a living and I tell her, she follows with "DO YOU LIKE IT?

Old 08-28-2013, 09:46 PM

5,353 posts, read 5,795,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post

5. Ok.
7. Ok.
Well, I don't know how old you are, but age and experience has given me this wisdom, and as many would say, made me bitter and cynical. But since this is more relating to work and employment/money, I don't see how you can argue with the money advice. Save, save, and save more. Live below your means, and no, never buy a brand new car. Never, ever, ever! I see your point on #1 only if what you love to do you can't make money doing. Start contributing to a 401k at 25 and never stop. Contribute at least up to what the company will match. The match is free money that will compound for 40+ years. Also, do a Roth IRA.

Old 08-28-2013, 10:10 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,102,386 times
Quote:
Well, I don't know how old you are, but age and experience has given me this wisdom, and as many would say, made me bitter and cynical. But since this is more relating to work and employment/money, I don't see how you can argue with the money advice. Save, save, and save more. Live below your means, and no, never buy a brand new car. Never, ever, ever! I see your point on #1 only if what you love to do you can't make money doing. Start contributing to a 401k at 25 and never stop. Contribute at least up to what the company will match. The match is free money that will compound for 40+ years. Also, do a Roth IRA.
Probably just as old and jaded as you.

401K is 'nice' and stuff, but it's small potatoes if you make a small salary. The goal for me would be to get a job that started at six figures, even if it didn't budge much from there. And if I were to do it again, it'd be completely possible by age 24 with no debt.

Old 08-29-2013, 09:32 AM

2,349 posts, read 5,437,818 times
Quote:
This is such a good question.

1. Figure out what you love and do it.
2. Save as much money as you can because the economy will suck and you'll get caught in a bad situation
3. If you want to be married, you better learn how to communicate with women, including but not limited to expressing your feelings.
4. Never buy a brand new car.
5. Learn to meditate or become more spiritual, as you'll need a way to stay positive and calm when times get tough. Family will not be there.
1. Figure out what you love and, if it isn't practical, do it on evenings and weekends.
2. Invest as much money as you can
3. Chemistry is more important than communication. If you have good chemistry, you'll figure out how to communicate.
4. Consider a new car if the safey features are significant.
5. Realize there probably is no such thing as spirits or a soul or ghosts or god. Think and use logic and knowledge to solve problems.

Old 08-29-2013, 10:45 AM

2,007 posts, read 6,833,452 times
Ha,ha. Buy silver at any chance. Run from that first wife, well after that weekend anyway. Go to college on the scholarship and work for the rest of the money needed. Don't call that friend after he calls about that problem with my advice. Don't pat that Deputy Sheriff (woman) on the butt and then tell her she's to pretty to hit anyone with that stick. Get off the gas pedal on that corner. Don't put the word OR on all the titles with my name and someone else's on it. Stay the hell out of Kalifornia and Illinois!

Old 08-29-2013, 12:37 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,551,593 times
Take care of your teeth. Being a programmer doesnt mean you have to have a caffein addiction. Being an engineering student in a punk band trying to be like Sid Vicious doesnt mean you should smoke too.

Old 08-29-2013, 12:52 PM

973 posts, read 1,453,636 times
Take the damn NATO Headquarters assignment before you end up in White Sands Missile Range.

Old 08-29-2013, 01:02 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,130,647 times
College is a waste of time.

Get certifications.

Old 08-29-2013, 02:16 PM

285 posts, read 427,238 times
College is not for you and will be a burden for you with no rewards. Go get a JOB, get a IT certification, gain some skills, save your money and move away from your family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment