Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 06:58 PM

29,861 posts, read 24,994,629 times

Advertisements

Thought of another one. Spend more time with the grandparents. They won't be here forever, and they've been on this earth far longer. I learned a lot from them. Coulda learned a lot more
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2013, 11:29 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,781,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Thought of another one. Spend more time with the grandparents. They won't be here forever, and they've been on this earth far longer. I learned a lot from them. Coulda learned a lot more
So true... I was very close to my Grandparents and learned a lot from them...

All having lived through the Depression were very frugal and unlike parents... had the time to answer endless questions from an inquisative kid.

My Grandfather and I had always planned to take a trip the summer of my 13th birthday to the where he grew up... it was something we had talked about for years... my parents said I needed to be 13 before I could go...

My Grandfather died the week of my 13th birthday...

Old 08-28-2013, 07:56 PM

8 posts, read 9,810 times
Thumbs up Thumb up

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
College: You'll probably never have an opportunity like this again. Don't treat college like a vocational school...pursue an education that opens you up as a person, that challenges and excites you, that helps you learn not to be afraid to learn.

Employment: No job is forever, but eight hours a day is a big chunk of your life. And it's not all about the money.

I could not agree more.

Old 08-28-2013, 08:03 PM

2,349 posts, read 5,445,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
Knowing what you know now based on your own experiences..
About college, or employment choices? what would you tell your younger self
Stay away from bread and rice and empty carbohydrates.

Old 08-28-2013, 08:56 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,114,215 times
I would say this to my 23 year old self

You are not in high school anymore so before you start first professional job make sure you get along with everyone you work with because you never know where that may take you in career. Also always make you save money because you never when a layoff may happen so if it does you will have tons of money of bank.

Old 08-28-2013, 09:03 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,023,007 times
1- stay in CA
2- don't go for your masters
3- I would have pointed myself away from research and into another field a lot longer ago and probably been in a better position now.

Old 08-28-2013, 09:08 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,134,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
what would you tell your younger self
Money matters to women.

Career success and where you are in your 30s matters to people.

The BS and non-stop ladder climbing of the white collar world is something you want to circumvent at all costs (never have been able to) and making the right decisions and working hard in college and your early 20s makes it possible.

Old 08-28-2013, 09:09 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,114,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
Money matters to women.

Career success and where you are in your 30s matters to people.

The BS and non-stop ladder climbing of the white collar world is something you want to circumvent at all costs (never have been able to) and making the right decisions and working hard in college and your early 20s makes it possible.

is that why so many women ask me if i like my job? lol

Old 08-28-2013, 09:16 PM

300 posts, read 1,137,863 times
I would say take school seriously; don't be scare to take chances because it's your life and you must fight for it; get internships and get straight A's. Say No and walkout from any situation that you don't feel comfortable with; remember people do lie so don't take their word for it; just keep fighting for the life that you want because you do today will affect your future.

Old 08-28-2013, 09:26 PM

5,353 posts, read 5,803,672 times
This is such a good question.

1. Figure out what you love and do it.
2. Save as much money as you can because the economy will suck and you'll get caught in a bad situation
3. If you want to be married, you better learn how to communicate with women, including but not limited to expressing your feelings.
4. Never buy a brand new car.
5. Learn to meditate or become more spiritual, as you'll need a way to stay positive and calm when times get tough. Family will not be there.
6. Count on nobody but yourself and never trust anyone 100%.
7. Learn how to fake being an extrovert because they're the successful ones professionally and personally.
8. Disregard #3 because no matter how perfect you try to be, no woman will ever stick by you.

Last edited by Atlguy39; 08-28-2013 at 09:39 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment