Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2013, 05:44 PM

29,825 posts, read 24,908,096 times

Advertisements

So, I work for a rather small company. We deal in precision machined parts, tools, molds, etc. I have always worked on the floor during my career. I enjoy working on the floor and would like to stick with skilled labor, but the company is wanting me to take on greater responsibilities elsewhere. Basically, my work would migrate more towards the office, dealing with customers, troubleshooting and visiting customers at their facilities. They want someone who knows the work, but can also handle more professional duties.

What this would mean for me is a salaried position starting around 56K. Right now, I'm at about 46K on straight time, and I can work OT if I want to. I rarely work much OT though because I've worked like a dog most of my life . In this new role, I would likely be putting in more OT, although that can fluctuate.

The advantages I could see... Less time stamping concrete all day. I feel fine now, but who knows what tomorrow will bring. I would get an office. In my profession, skilled workers with professional experience are highly desirable and sought after. Companies take very good care of them, while skilled guys are usually the ones who fall victim to "cost cutting measures". I would make more money and probably have a different kind of upward potential. I also enjoy driving and being out of the shop during the day. It's a good way to break up the day a bit.

Disadvantages... I would be loosing time focusing on developing my skillset and learning new skills. I have always been paid for what I know and what I can do. Technology and processes are changing constantly. I'm worried that if I fall behind, this could negatively impact my future employability/earning potential. The other side of the coin is technology and automation is going to continue to eliminate jobs, but office type roles are always in demand. My boss also works like a dog. I expect that he will expect the same from me. I've got nothing against working hard, as I have been doing that all my life, but still... I don't want to have to devote my life to my job. If I wanted that, I would start my own business

Another thing I was thinking of... I don't have a college degree. If I had to find another job in the future, skilled trade jobs don't require a degree, but I imagine many companies would require one for office type positions. I have worked in office settings before, but enjoy working with my hands far more.

If I do take on this different role, I would still be expected to work the floor some parts of the day, so that's good I suppose.

Any advice, opinions, or recommendations???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2013, 06:42 PM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,086,783 times
Fellow shop monkey chiming in......

I've already been on both sides of the fence, and now back to basics. I discovered that I am a machinist.

Not an engineer, salesman, inspector , or manager.

Tried all of 'em.

I like this better.

It's up to you, of course, but go ahead and give it a shot. At the very least you'll gain a new perspective. I think you'll learn a lot in your new role.

Good luck!

Old 01-25-2013, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
Fellow shop monkey chiming in......

I've already been on both sides of the fence, and now back to basics. I discovered that I am a machinist.

Not an engineer, salesman, inspector , or manager.

Tried all of 'em.

I like this better.

It's up to you, of course, but go ahead and give it a shot. At the very least you'll gain a new perspective. I think you'll learn a lot in your new role.

Good luck!

That's basically it right there though. I love the smell of cutting oil in the morning. The sounds of live machinery has a certain romantic appeal BSing, writing apology notes for botched work, or babysitting people just doesn't do it for me. Went through too much BS to get this far in my profession. If I wanted to be an office rat, Ida skipped the low wage entry level jobs and guilted my dad into financing my educational ambitions/alcoholic vacation.

And really, I didn't need to spend thousands on tools and countless hours of unpaid practice and studying just to be an office worker...

My heros growing up were tool and die makers, iron workers, ship builders, people who worked good ol blue collar jobs. That's basically what I set out to be when I was young. Not some guy with an office who was paid to wear a fake smile and kiss behind

Old 01-25-2013, 07:43 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,970,287 times
I would bet the potential for significant raises is higher with the professional role, but if you do it, I'd try to negotiate perhaps even taking a tad less initial salary in return for college tuition reimbursement. As you said, other corps would likely demand it for the office job, so getting that insurance policy in return for accepting the position they wish you to take seems a fair deal.

Old 01-25-2013, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
I would bet the potential for significant raises is higher with the professional role, but if you do it, I'd try to negotiate perhaps even taking a tad less initial salary in return for college tuition reimbursement. As you said, other corps would likely demand it for the office job, so getting that insurance policy in return for accepting the position they wish you to take seems a fair deal.
If I left the company for a professional level job, the earning potential would probably grow significantly. In my current role, the upward salary potential is mostly determined by employer and type of work. 100K is not unheard of in Chicago, but that's for someone of exceptionally high caliber who can pretty well run an entire shop. That's at least 10 years experience for most guys. I'm just shy of half way there. I received an offer last year that amounted to about 70K, but I also knew what the position required. Basically, a working slave. I don't need the money that bad, especially for what the government would extract from my toils. Where I work now, we are paid average - slightly above. Expansion would be required to improve that situation.

I don't know how similar or different a more professional role would be. My dad started working more on the field/floor in his profession. Followed the same path as I am. He was offered the cozy desk job and migrated towards sales. Did that for 30 years until he was laid of. No college degree, so now he services refrigerators. Meanwhile, his friends that stuck with skilled trades are still working today and making good money. My uncle just turned down a $40/hr job working in a tool and die shop, the exact same type of opportunity my dad turned down in his early 20's. Fact is, my uncle made so much money years ago that today, he's content drinking and sitting on his 50 foot boat all summer... Tradesman do make good money, which is why companies are doing everything possible to eliminate them. Luckily, the supply is just shy of the demand these days, and that differential will only grow with time. Big motivation to stick with the trade.

It would be wise to obtain a 4 year degree if I went with the proposed opportunity, no doubt. Problem is fitting that in with the occasional 50 hour work week. They are mostly interested in what I have to offer now. College won't teach me anymore about the business I am in than actually working it in, and the company knows it will only make me more attractive for some other company/corporation. There is a certain motivation for both parties to avoid bringing educational expenses into the picture...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment