Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2013, 02:22 PM

50 posts, read 89,778 times

Advertisements

Yesterday morning I interviewed for a Staff Accountant job at a large company. I met with the assistant controller. The first thing off the bat was he spent over an hour and a half with me, longer than I have ever been in an interview. He said to me "I really like your background and I also really like how you present yourself." He then said, "You are the fourth candidate I have interviewed for this position. Of the first three, I have already ruled out two of them. I have two more candidates still to go. Honestly, though, I think you are the strongest candidate I've seen so far." He also said he isn't tirekicking. He needs someone and wants to have the new person start sometime within the month of February. This was through a headhunter. After I left, the headhunter emailed me and told me she got really good feedback from the HR manager. She said that just the fact the interview lasted nearly two hours is a good sign. I made sure I sent a really nice thank you email to the assistant controller. Does it seem like I have a pretty good chance at getting this job?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2013, 02:23 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,134,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRusso1982 View Post
Yesterday morning I interviewed for a Staff Accountant job at a large company. I met with the assistant controller. The first thing off the bat was he spent over an hour and a half with me, longer than I have ever been in an interview. He said to me "I really like your background and I also really like how you present yourself." He then said, "You are the fourth candidate I have interviewed for this position. Of the first three, I have already ruled out two of them. I have two more candidates still to go. Honestly, though, I think you are the strongest candidate I've seen so far." He also said he isn't tirekicking. He needs someone and wants to have the new person start sometime within the month of February. This was through a headhunter. After I left, the headhunter emailed me and told me she got really good feedback from the HR manager. She said that just the fact the interview lasted nearly two hours is a good sign. I made sure I sent a really nice thank you email to the assistant controller. Does it seem like I have a pretty good chance at getting this job?
As long as the last two candidates aren't any better than you, yes.

Old 01-31-2013, 02:58 PM

2,533 posts, read 4,604,857 times
If he tells the next candidate the same thing after a 3 hr interview I would say no...

Getting feedback like what you got is great... But also torture at the same time. Happened to me once... I got all excited and spent days waiting on the return call with the formal job offer.

Phone never rang.

Old 01-31-2013, 04:42 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,137,817 times
"You're our top candidate"

Don't fall for this trick!

Old 01-31-2013, 04:50 PM

23,602 posts, read 70,436,018 times
Saying to a person that they are top candidate is the sign of an immature interviewer. You probably do have a leg up at this point, but don't count chickens.

Old 01-31-2013, 05:25 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,225,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Saying to a person that they are top candidate is the sign of an immature interviewer. You probably do have a leg up at this point, but don't count chickens.
True, the interviewer may have been telling the truth, but with two more to go that could both be better the interviewer is getting up your hopes prematurely. Your chances are better than the other people interviewed before you, no more. Good luck, hopefully the last two were duds.

Old 02-01-2013, 07:17 AM

50 posts, read 89,778 times
I think just the fact that he spent an hour and a half with me is a really good sign

Old 02-04-2013, 02:01 PM

1 posts, read 1,932 times
You must be young. I've never had an interview last less than an hour. That doesn't mean it's not a good sign, I just think you're smoking a little "hopium"

You don't want a "chance", you want a job - that's 100% "yes" and right now you have 0%. I'm not trying to be mean - the truth is no one here can tell you an answer to your question, it's too subjective and we're only hearing 1 side of the situation. You've been told promising things, you've been offered nothing.

If you like the company and the position then I hope you get it and wish you well. While you're waiting for a response, I suggest you keep looking at everything that looks interesting to you that fits your skill set and, that you continue your research on the firm (have you spoken to anyone else that works there? how do they like their job? supervisor? how long have they been there? Any growth opportunities? use the time to do a little recog on your own. You might be surprised to find some firms.... lie. (candidates do to, but you anticipate the firm will be forthright - regrettably that's not always the case...)

Keep hunting - How wonderful if you had two companies offering you opportunities at the same time... that's kind of fun actually, sometimes they even sweeten the deal to make sure you take their offer.

Good luck!

Old 02-04-2013, 02:33 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,289,909 times
It doesn't mean anything until you are offered a job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment