Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 04:21 PM

4 posts, read 5,592 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I am a 25 year old, who graduated 2.5 years ago from a lower ranked ivy (Dartmouth, Cornell, Brown) with a 4.0 and a BS in biology. I spent an additional two years after graduation working in the laboratory as a research fellow for a government entity. After my fellowship ended, I couldn't find anything in either the private or public sector and worked for my parents' business where I am now. I don't want to go back to research, but rather take on an entry level position (analyst, etc) with room for advancement.

I feel like I'm too old to start over and my ship has certainly sailed. It seems all these companies want kids fresh out of undergrad who interviewed through on-campus recruitment. I'm kicking myself for not having even attempted to go along this path since I feel that consulting/analytical work is more of my speed and temperament than research ever was.

If any of you have any advice, I would really appreciate it! Thank you all for your time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2013, 04:36 PM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
At 25, your ship hasn't sailed. Even 25 YO pole dancers get jobs.

Old 02-09-2013, 04:42 PM

4,944 posts, read 3,316,689 times
why not research ? you could give it a try...expand your horizon look further afield for jobs not just the area you are in...
can you like look into work somehow related to what you do now ?

Old 02-09-2013, 04:51 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,845,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BatmanAccent View Post
I feel like I'm too old to start over and my ship has certainly sailed.
It is NEVER EVER too old to start over doing something else. People start over in completely new careers at 45 or 50.

I have a relative who gave up his white collar job at the age of 57 to become a truck driver. It was something he always wanted to do, so he did it.

Old 02-09-2013, 05:36 PM

2,135 posts, read 4,274,128 times
Your 25. That is young. Ship being sailed is BS.

Let's say your ship HAS sailed...what are you going to do. Just not work for the rest of your life?

Old 02-09-2013, 06:16 PM

1,844 posts, read 2,424,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BatmanAccent View Post
Hi all,

I am a 25 year old, who graduated 2.5 years ago from a lower ranked ivy (Dartmouth, Cornell, Brown) with a 4.0 and a BS in biology. I spent an additional two years after graduation working in the laboratory as a research fellow for a government entity. After my fellowship ended, I couldn't find anything in either the private or public sector and worked for my parents' business where I am now. I don't want to go back to research, but rather take on an entry level position (analyst, etc) with room for advancement.

If any of you have any advice, I would really appreciate it! Thank you all for your time.
MHO? Join the Air Force. You are officer material with a four year degree; they are the most intellectually demanding of the Armed Services; you will be able to opt into intel; you will emerge with excellent experience and some savings. Best of luck.

Old 02-09-2013, 06:31 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,773,006 times
If you want to work in the federal government or in a private enterprise, try applying like crazy and relocate to another city if you have to. Some people don't even know what their career even is at age 35. You probably have to be more aggressive in applying for jobs, whatever they may be entry level.

Old 02-09-2013, 06:58 PM

4 posts, read 5,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jane_sm1th73 View Post
MHO? Join the Air Force. You are officer material with a four year degree; they are the most intellectually demanding of the Armed Services; you will be able to opt into intel; you will emerge with excellent experience and some savings. Best of luck.
I was looking into that route as well, but most branches pretty much want a technical degree (engineering/computer science, not biology). I think I am going to become even more aggressive in my efforts to get an entry level job.

Old 02-09-2013, 10:11 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
I changed to a completely different career at 40 and then again at 57. You have a long way to go before your ship sails. I don't know of many people that want "kids fresh out of undergrad who interviewed through on-campus recruitment", in fact everyone I see hired (and that I hire) have 3-10 years experience. The closest to graduation I have hired was an MBA
with 3 years experience since graduate school. Try to find whatever you can get in your field and then work your way up.

Old 02-09-2013, 10:34 PM

213 posts, read 1,107,502 times
How in the world has your "ship sailed" at 25 homie? You have everything going for you it appears. Great education. Give me a break. Did you think you were to own the world by 25? Act right and adjust your attitude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment