Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2013, 10:09 AM

13 posts, read 35,430 times

Advertisements

I start a new job this upcoming week at a insurance call center. The dress code is business casual. I was wondering if some current employees in similar fields could give me some ideas on what employees are wearing in call centers. Do they wear dress pants and heels? I want to be somewhat comfortable since I will be sitting all day answering phones, etc. Any tips or ideas?

Thanks,
Debbie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2013, 10:35 AM

3,044 posts, read 5,003,619 times
I never understood why non-customer facing jobs require a dress code. Isn't a comfortable person more likely to work more hours? Anyway, normal procedure is to show up dressed up more than you think you'll need to be, see what everyone else is wearing, change accordingly.

What I suggest is that if you don't have a company handbook that details what you're allowed/not allowed to wear, you should show up naked, get sexually harassed, and roll in the money.

Old 02-13-2013, 10:50 AM

2,633 posts, read 6,401,190 times
Call center interpretations of "business casual" are notoriously loose, and even tougher to define for women (IMO, guys it's easier - collared shirt/slacks/dress shoes, done).

I'd say heels might be a bit of overkill on a daily basis, closed toe shoes are likely required. Dress slacks/flats and a nice blouse/sweater would be the route I'd recommend for the first week to get an idea of what everyone else is wearing.

Old 02-13-2013, 02:00 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,774,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3onthemove View Post
I start a new job this upcoming week at a insurance call center. The dress code is business casual. I was wondering if some current employees in similar fields could give me some ideas on what employees are wearing in call centers. Do they wear dress pants and heels? I want to be somewhat comfortable since I will be sitting all day answering phones, etc.
Usually it means do not jeans or t-shirts, however, dress slacks and a blouse should be sufficient. I think heels are too formal in such environments. If you still have doubts, just ask them before going in. Also, good luck on your new job.

Old 02-13-2013, 08:14 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,243,006 times
Business casual seems a bit much for a call center. Jeans and t-shirts should be fine, since no one will ever see them, and they are not paid enough to buy a lot of expensive clothes. We are in an office setting that does meet the public and we are business casual except when going to a board meeting. For us that means khaki or better pants Dockers are popular, and a collared shirt.

Old 02-13-2013, 08:34 PM

403 posts, read 867,866 times
Dress code is to help minimize crap people think is ok to wear to work, like leggings. The call center I work for allows casual, down to flip flops. Management & most of admin team have a higher dress code of business casual or better. If I go to the call center & know I don't have meetings outside my team I sometimes wear nice jeans, otherwise it's slacks w nice blouse/sweater. Dress capris are acceptable as well. I work from a different location than where my team is, I always dress professionally to business casual, partially due to my office location & position.

Depending on the interpretation, business casual can be nice shirt w dockers or nice slacks, casual dress shoes & nice blouse.

Old 02-13-2013, 09:36 PM

13 posts, read 35,430 times
Thank you, everyone, for your input. I kind of figured that casual dress is what most of you are stating. I guess I am just overthinking things. I went shopping for a few new tops yesterday because I have a couple of black pants, grey pants, and mid-length skit. I guess heels would be a bit overkill. I worked in a call center over 15 years ago, and we were able to wear jeans and a half decent shirt, but that was just in a catalog ordering business. I know insurance is a different story. I want to be taken seriously.

Old 02-14-2013, 11:25 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,847,903 times
Quote:
I start a new job this upcoming week at a insurance call center. The dress code is business casual. I was wondering if some current employees in similar fields could give me some ideas on what employees are wearing in call centers. Do they wear dress pants and heels? I want to be somewhat comfortable since I will be sitting all day answering phones, etc. Any tips or ideas?

Thanks,
Debbie
I work in a similar environment, locked facility, no interaction with the public and we have the same dress code. It is pretty much anything goes, except for when the upper crust management or potential clients are onsite. I can wear jeans & tennis shoes any day of the week if I choose. People wear capris, and shorts. Some people wear short shorts in the summer. I'm shocked by the attire I see over on the call center side....

I would go the first day in true business casual - nice or khaki-style pants, nice shirt, and comfortable shoes. No dresses, no heels. They should give you a written dress code, and further dress advice during orientation. People always show up overly dressed, and told to told to dress down during orientation at my job.

Old 02-15-2013, 01:32 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,210,139 times
Quote:
Thank you, everyone, for your input. I kind of figured that casual dress is what most of you are stating. I guess I am just overthinking things. I went shopping for a few new tops yesterday because I have a couple of black pants, grey pants, and mid-length skit. I guess heels would be a bit overkill. I worked in a call center over 15 years ago, and we were able to wear jeans and a half decent shirt, but that was just in a catalog ordering business. I know insurance is a different story. I want to be taken seriously.
Stick to showing up more formal for the first week or so, you would rather have your first impression be wearing something more formal than the other way. After the first week you will have a pretty good idea of what is expected, and wearing something somewhat uncomfortable for a week isn't that big of a deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment