Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2013, 12:11 AM

2 posts, read 2,199 times

Advertisements

I am 24, Associates in Police Science. My general interest was to become a cop, but now I do not want to. I have worked alot of low end jobs such as restuarants and warehouses, recently I was a security officer, and worked as a Life Skill Worker at a Youth Juvenile Rehab Center. But was terminated under false accusations from a client. Whom I proved wrong and the company, and I am recieving Unemployment at the moment...

Question is, I have a lot of "time" so I believe so, to pick a wise direction of career I would like to persue! After my experience I did not want to go back to security officer or working any where detention center or prison wise! I can pretty much do anything, I am versatile in customer service, and great knowledge of computer skills, excel, microsoft, powerpoint you name it! But I only have an associates and only two jobs that related to it! I am interested in the Criminal Justice field, but am not sure whats out there, I have looked into it but I can never find anything,....

I have applied to be a Loan Counselor with this one company, so far so good, at $11.50 an hour, my highest salary pay yet to start ...
However...
I have the heart of a lion, passion, and the desire to be rich and make money, budget it and save it , possibly invest if I can reach a point. But ...
I dont associate with any of my friends they have all moved away, which is good so I can focus on myself ...

I would like to find a career that enables me to reach my goals but I feel like I am running out of time, I already have bills to pay and college loans so I dont know if going back to school is the best right now, maybe possibly later when I can afford it ,
but right now ... unemployment has slowed my financial worries .. but question is where from here ... ive been job searching for something appeals to me, but in PA harrisburg where im from, its tough to get a job with low credentials ....

Any thoughts??? Greatly appreciated!
Thank you for your Time !
Good luck to those seeking a better life in America!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2013, 12:12 PM

400 posts, read 1,509,234 times
I understand that you are going through a lot and are young and confused. I really think you need to go see a career counselor at your former college or high school. There is so much going on within this post I don't think anyone can give you any clear direction without speaking to you in depth. But from a high level point of view you just need to work, try out a few different roles and in time you will find your destiny. Good luck to you!

Old 02-13-2013, 09:58 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,875,803 times
You could try probation or parole officers, or a court officer. Check with your local courts. If you're in a larger city your police or sheriff's office may have crime scene technicians, or something similar. Good luck!

Old 02-14-2013, 12:04 AM

3,633 posts, read 5,790,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caradvice View Post
I understand that you are going through a lot
You think that is a lot?....lol

Old 02-15-2013, 10:00 PM

29,823 posts, read 24,913,395 times
It's a crappy job market out there. $11.50, that's a survival wage at best. Having said that, I started out making relatively little when I was younger. Left home early and found out the world is kind of a tough place to get by in. I simply toned down my standard of living and did everything possible to save money. As luck would have it, I had amassed a decent sum when the recession destroyed everyone's positions, and I went all in with investing. Discipline does pay off, I can attest to that

I think you need to take what life offers you. If it's a survival wage job, do the job to the best of your ability. Go in every day and show your boss you're not just another half wit looking for a gig to cover the boozing expenses. Those types don't flock to lower end jobs, but some of those lower end jobs do have some upward potential. You won't make 6 figures, but with some disciplined spending/saving, you can make a respectable living. Of course, that all hinges on your performance while starting at the bottom. Treat it like a 6 figure job and your boss will notice.

Old 02-15-2013, 11:24 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,571,179 times
FBI, Secret Service, ATF, all hiring for CJ major types. Check out their websites.

Old 02-18-2013, 09:55 PM

2 posts, read 2,199 times
Thank You for your advice !!!

Old 02-19-2013, 06:56 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,286,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelinLow View Post
FBI, Secret Service, ATF, all hiring for CJ major types. Check out their websites.

You need a four year degree to be hired by the feds. A two year degree is not going to cut it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment