Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 07:42 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,074,604 times

Advertisements

Okay, we don't have jobs but today I am trying to be thankful for what I do have and ask you do so too, maybe just for a moment.

*Did you eat today?
*Did you have a winter coat to put on?
*Do you have a pair of shoes/sneakers without holes?
*Were you in Chile or Haiti for those devastating earthquakes?

Just a few thoughts I had today while watching the news/walking my dog.

Now, today's rant...I was on a social network with a bunch of teachers/people who work in schools. They were counting the days till their NEXT vacation...(they just had a week off in mid Feb)....

These are the sort of people who irk me...you know, if you have a tenure job be very thankful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2010, 08:53 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
I am trying to be thankful for what I do have

*Did you eat today?
Post these on this thread:

Current condition job phrases I am SICK of hearing...

Old 03-02-2010, 09:18 AM

I can't tell if you're being snarky but you don't seem to need to be thankful for anything right now.

For some of us, actually experiencing the recession FIRST HAND, it has made us realize that we can spend the day being glad for what little we have because it is a heck of a lot more than others have.

Maybe that is WHY some of of us experiencing it. I can't convince someone who is an atheist that there is a spirituality about being thankful, I suppose.

Anyhow, you have a nice day, anyway.

Last edited by GypsySoul22; 03-02-2010 at 09:28 AM..

Old 03-02-2010, 06:47 PM

11,299 posts, read 18,892,517 times
One way I try to be thankful and not think of these crazy times is imagine what it would be like to live in even crazier times. Two come to mind (albeit one that is VERY long ago):

1) My 3rd grade son was studying for his social studies test and they talk about how a majority of the people who came to the Jamestown colony in 1607 died of starvation the first winter. Same for Plymouth in 1620.

2) If that's too far back to think about/imagine, then let's set the time machine to 1938 or so, something for which there are people alive who can remember/relate. Economic conditions/hopelessness similar to today for years and wondering if it will ever change. If you live in America, also wondering if we're going to be invaded/taken over by Hitler one day (or perhaps Japan, but I think until 1941 we were thinking Japan would focus on Asian countries and not try to "take over the world". If you live in Europe same thing and if you happen to be among certain groups, wondering if you're going to die soon for no reason other than your birth itself.

When you look at that (especially #2), today looks pretty good by comparison (not that I'm saying it is good though.....), just some perspective.

Old 03-02-2010, 07:34 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Quote:
I can't convince someone who is an atheist that there is a spirituality about being thankful, I suppose.
“Isn’t it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?â€
– Douglas Adams

Old 03-02-2010, 07:44 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,908,339 times
Quote:
*Did you eat today?
I hope in the future you will consider not lecturing people on how lucky they should be. You don't have to live other people's lives so you shouldn't presume to know anything about their's.

There have been many days since I was laid off that I did not get to eat. I currently have a pair of shoes without holes, but only because someone gave me a pair.I have A coat. It is not sufficient for the weather all the time though.

Just because you have some blessings to count doesn't mean others can say the same.

Old 03-03-2010, 04:49 AM

I wasn't lecturing anyone.
It was more for myself. Taking stock of what I do have.

I am sure now you have 'something' to be thankful for...point of the thread.

Old 03-03-2010, 07:56 AM

5,715 posts, read 15,046,738 times
Quote:
Okay, we don't have jobs but today I am trying to be thankful for what I do have and ask you do so too, maybe just for a moment.

*Did you eat today?

Just a few thoughts I had today while watching the news/walking my dog.

Now, today's rant...I was on a social network with a bunch of teachers/people who work in schools. They were counting the days till their NEXT vacation...(they just had a week off in mid Feb)....

These are the sort of people who irk me...you know, if you have a tenure job be very thankful.
It is so important to try to focus on the positive... to try to stay positive... and, to be thankful for what you have.

It's easy to just give up hope in this economy.

Great reminder, Gypsy.

Old 03-03-2010, 08:18 AM

5,715 posts, read 15,046,738 times
Default There are places that can help...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
I hope in the future you will consider not lecturing people on how lucky they should be. You don't have to live other people's lives so you shouldn't presume to know anything about their's.

There have been many days since I was laid off that I did not get to eat. I currently have a pair of shoes without holes, but only because someone gave me a pair.I have A coat. It is not sufficient for the weather all the time though.

Just because you have some blessings to count doesn't mean others can say the same.
I'm sorry to hear that you've gone without food, Kodaka.

In a city the size of Washington, DC there must be places where you can go to get free meal every day....

If you contact the Salvation Army, they will be happy to give you a coat if you need a warmer coat - shoes, too.

None of us want to ask for help but sometimes you have to. That's what these programs are there for.

Call the Salvation Army today. Ask them to refer you to a Food Bank. Ask them if there's a Lunch program where you can go to for a meal.

I sincerely hope things get better for you soon.

Last edited by World Citizen; 03-03-2010 at 08:31 AM..

Old 03-03-2010, 08:40 AM

8,955 posts, read 20,376,989 times
Boy, that is a "Show stopping" sentence!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment