Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 12:56 PM

4,217 posts, read 7,301,769 times

Advertisements

Welcome to commuting around DC. It takes me about an hour to go 30 miles from work to school during the week in traffic. I think everyone around here has close to an hour if not more commute one way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2013, 01:11 PM

4,319 posts, read 4,206,586 times
Commutted 25 miles = 60 minutes from NJ to NYC everyday for almost 2 years. Stop and go, and local congested streets. I created a program of subjects. Every Monday I would listen to music, then Tuesday to comedy, Wed political talk, Thur financial / economic, Fri psychological / medical. My older car didn't last long. I got a newer vehicle to withstand the commute. I work on cars myself, but it would suck to do that commute everyday, and fix cars on weekends, so you could start the commute all over on Monday.

However, as former CA / LA resident, I am afraid it might take you closer to 70-80 minutes.

Old 02-19-2013, 01:26 PM

2,533 posts, read 4,603,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findly185 View Post
Welcome to commuting around DC. It takes me about an hour to go 30 miles from work to school during the week in traffic. I think everyone around here has close to an hour if not more commute one way.

Yeah I saw on NBC news a couple weeks ago a story about cities with the worst traffic...

DC was #1. Seattle was #9.

I recently moved after my job change... I had 10 minutes to the old job but it jumped to 45-60 mins which had me moving real fast. Now it's a manageable 15 mins from my new residence.

What can I say... Sitting in stop and go on I-5 isn't fun. I'm now about 10 miles closer to work and that short distance saves me an hour a day in traffic.

Old 02-19-2013, 01:46 PM

5,453 posts, read 9,301,795 times
Wouldn't be cheaper to move closer to the job? I will rephrase that....can you move somewhere in the middle? it doesn't seem fair that you would have such a horrible commute. I would never do that to my hubby.

I could not handle an hour commute one way no matter what the pay was...all the extra money would be eaten up by gas, and annoyances of being in traffic that long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyramidsurf View Post
I need some opinions on commuting to and from work. The trip would be 62 miles each way. If there are any californians, the commute would be from Temecula to Coronado. I've done the drive before for the job interviews and it takes about 55 minutes door to door during none peak hours.

The job is very very good. I wouldn't consider it if the job wasn't good for my career. It's a government GS ladder job that will promote me to GS-11 after two years.

I would buy a cheap commuter car and get sat radio. I would also try to drive during non peak hours. This drive would be a straight shot down a four lane interstate with only three or four traffic lights.

I'm not a stranger to bad drives. From age 14 to 24 my schools were 20 miles away and it took about 45 minutes to an hour in stop and go traffic (Hawaii has terrible traffic). I hate stop and go driving but don't really mind freeway driving. I've been dealing with commutes forever so it's not really new to me.

I would move closer but my wife has a job out here that she cannot leave. No matter where we move in San Diego County or Temecula, one of us will have to make a sacrifice with the drive. I don't plan on doing it forever, probably just the next couple years until one of us can find a job closer to the other one. Plus, I like the area and her family lives close.

Does anyone deal with a 60 mile + drive? Advice, tips, anything?

Old 02-19-2013, 02:19 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,772,311 times
I have done long and short commutes over the years and have used public transit. Anything one way that was more than an hour wore me out. I have mostly worked in larger metro areas and have never had a rural commute (with no significant traffic). Anything over an hour driving in traffic is very taxing and tiring.

Public transit up to an hour is somewhat more tolerable, but still commuting 2 hours each day is a lot of time. I would try driving the route during rush hours just to see how long it really is.

Last edited by maus; 02-19-2013 at 02:43 PM..

Old 02-19-2013, 02:39 PM

1,738 posts, read 3,007,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
Wouldn't be cheaper to move closer to the job? I will rephrase that....can you move somewhere in the middle? it doesn't seem fair that you would have such a horrible commute. I would never do that to my hubby.

I could not handle an hour commute one way no matter what the pay was...all the extra money would be eaten up by gas, and annoyances of being in traffic that long.
The only midway point is vastly more expensive and moves my wifes work further away than my work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
Commutted 25 miles = 60 minutes from NJ to NYC everyday for almost 2 years. Stop and go, and local congested streets. I created a program of subjects. Every Monday I would listen to music, then Tuesday to comedy, Wed political talk, Thur financial / economic, Fri psychological / medical. My older car didn't last long. I got a newer vehicle to withstand the commute. I work on cars myself, but it would suck to do that commute everyday, and fix cars on weekends, so you could start the commute all over on Monday.

However, as former CA / LA resident, I am afraid it might take you closer to 70-80 minutes.
I think I could get it in 60, depending on when I leave. Maybe not. But, we all have to make some sacargices sometimes. Thanks for the input.

Old 02-19-2013, 04:34 PM

400 posts, read 1,509,082 times
yes. if possible get flex time where you can sometimes work for home or set your hours for off peak traffic times. as long as the benefits outweigh the cons and you have the support of your family youll be fine. many people have shorter commutes in mileage terms but just as long for time/ hours. good luck.

Old 02-20-2013, 01:49 AM

2,135 posts, read 4,273,726 times
I drive 62 miles roundtrip. It is a good 50 minute drive if everything works out to work and a little less on the way home. At almost $50 a tank per week and with ever increasing gas costs were moving closer to work. I'm tired of this commuting crap. We will be within 10 miles at most of my job hopefully after we move. The gas costs are killing us.

Old 02-20-2013, 04:15 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,351,944 times
Depends how flexible your workplace is on your being late. Weather, traffic accidents (try sitting on the freeway bottle necked with an accident, and you're are a mile from the nearest accident). If your HR gives "occurrences" for each tardy, you'll be out of a job really fast.

Old 02-20-2013, 04:17 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,908,288 times
Agreed you don't want to turn down a GS job. Sure you could probably find a private sector job closer to home with better pay, but you would be subject to layoff and wouldn't get the benefits. Have you checked out carpooling? Unless you live in the middle of nowhere chances are other drivers are making the same trip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment