Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 06:21 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,858,609 times

Advertisements

I got an interview with a CPA firm a few years ago by walking through the front door and handing my resume to the receptionist. They hadn't even put out a job advertisement.

"Pounding the pavement" shows that you have initiative and employers like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2013, 06:25 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,527,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
I got an interview with a CPA firm a few years ago by walking through the front door and handing my resume to the receptionist. They hadn't even put out a job advertisement.

It does and both of us know you are a statistical anomaly.

Old 02-27-2013, 07:14 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,148,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaticVillage View Post
Most of these responses are obviously written by people who have tons of professional work history. That was not what I was looking for and I wrote that in the original post . People with tons of professional experience already have a leg up in internet job searching. Sadly, that is not always the case as I personally know plenty of older folks with decades of job experience who have been out of work more than a year.
---edited for brevity.

LV,

It works the same way for entry level jobs. My company hires hundreds of fresh college graduates every year for entry level jobs. They all have to apply online.

All my old college buddies and family members got their first job out of college through online job ads, and not through pounding the pavement.

If the person hasn't applied online, their resume is not in the system. In a corporate atmosphere every day is filled with deadlines, meetings, conference calls with vendors, their own boss, or subordinates. It's especially unlikely for somebody with no career direction other than "Start me at the bottom anywhere, and I will work my way to the top". It all has to be scheduled. The clock doesn't stop in the corporate world for anybody.

Old 02-27-2013, 07:16 PM

1,923 posts, read 2,415,239 times
The only way you would find out if an employee threw away your job application or resume is to call the manager and ask if they recieved it.

Old 03-01-2013, 04:00 AM

6,345 posts, read 8,148,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post

This must not have been a large corporation or publicly traded company. In my experience, department managers can't even post a position until they have a requisition approved. It has to be approved up the chain, first by their VP, then their SVP, and then maybe the CEO or President.

If there is no approval to increase headcount, the manager just gets screwed. They will be blamed for losses from being understaffed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment