Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 02:13 PM

6 posts, read 39,183 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I am brand new to the site, this is my first post.

So, a quick background--a distant friend who works in the same industry suggested I apply for a job at his company, which is German based, about 150 employees or so, and seeing as how I recently had been working only contracts to that point I figured a full hire job with benefits would be a good way to go. So, an offer was made and I accepted. I live on the East coast and the first 2 weeks took place in Germany for 'orientation/training'. I had a miserable time there since I knew with each passing day I had made the wrong decsion. Well, unfortunately for multiple and legit reasons I knew after 3 weeks that the job was a bad match and I wrote a letter to my manager with my intention to leave. She suggested making my official last day on Friday (which was the last working day before she read my letter the following day) and I agreed as there would be no sense in hanging around any longer.

At the time, pay was the last thing on my mind, but when I got back to the states a check had arrived from the comapny and it appeared to cover my first 2 weeks under that month's pay cycle (I think they have one month pay periods). The check was most likely cut before I announced my resignation. I deposited the check the next day but 5 days later my bank called and said it bounced! This was over 2 weeks ago and I haven't done anything. I'm thinking either A) I am being paid nothing for my time, B) the check bounced because they are writng me a different one that will arrive in the next pay cycle given my unique situation, or C) clerical error? I am not sure what to do. True, I was an employee for 3 weeks but it was during training. I also had to put up about $1500 on my own credit card for hotels/taxis/trains/etc..and I filed an expense report the day after I left. So it's a matter of 3 weeks of "work" plus $1500 in expenses!

It's quite awkaward because obviously they had to spend money getting me to germany/training, etc. but I don't know what protocol is for this situation. I was working for a US LLC subsid of the German Co. and I signed a fairly typical Employment Agreement. I do worry about not giving notice but what's the point of notice from an employee with no added value to the company? The manager suggested I make that last Friday my official last today so I agreed. I just worry that maybe by not giving proper notice that I invalidated the contract, even though there would have been no point to stick around.

I am glad this thing is behind me and I was able to return to my old contract job but I am out quite a bit of money because of this fiasco--does anyone have good ideas as to how to proceed? Or what the law states (Pennsylvania btw)? I haven't contacted anyone at the company yet as I am still hoping I might receive something from the Feb pay cycle.

Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2013, 02:40 PM

400 posts, read 1,509,082 times
unless it stated that you must reimburse them for any training expenses or bonuses due to leaving before x amount of time then you should get paid for the 3 weeks plus expenses.

Old 03-01-2013, 02:46 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,481,533 times
They have to pay you, you showed up and worked. It really depends on your work agreement/contract though. If it says you won't get paid until you complete training or whatever they have you............unless their contract is against the law and then labor law would override their contract. I would fight it that's a lot of money......what around 4k incl travel expenses?

Face your fears. If you don't want to call then e-mail HR and assume they should pay and ask them why their check bounced?

Side note. I had an employer years ago take my commission back from direct deposit bank account because they were bitter I didn't give 2 weeks notice and I took them to the labor board and won.

So don't just let this go that's a lot of money. Your probably won't jeopardize any claim by waiting to see if they pay you next cycle, but check with your state.

Sad you were honest and they burned you. I guess next time wait til you get the money and burn them.

Old 03-01-2013, 03:54 PM

4 posts, read 65,509 times
They owe you for every Minute. I would increase their accountability every Minute till Resolved.

Old 03-01-2013, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caradvice View Post
unless it stated that you must reimburse them for any training expenses or bonuses due to leaving before x amount of time then you should get paid for the 3 weeks plus expenses.
as far as as i can read in the contract there is no mention of "reimburse them for any training expenses or bonuses due to leaving before x amount of time". thanks for your input!

Old 03-01-2013, 05:21 PM

and no, there is no mention of not getting paid until i completed training or anything like that. the contract is quite straight forward. and yep, you were quite close in your guess as to what they owe me, it's something around like $3300 net plus the $1500 in expenses on my credit card, so we're talking nearly $5k in total!

so i will follow through with your advice and email HR after the end of next week! thanks. yes, good point, i have been honest with them and they seem like fair people but maybe they just don't want to pay it out...

Old 03-01-2013, 05:27 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,217,748 times
I'd contact the Department of Labor asap. United States Department of Labor

Old 03-01-2013, 05:50 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,131,339 times
There's no good reason why a paycheck should "bounce".
Do you know if it's because of a hold or if it's due to insufficient funds?
I'd notify that company they owe you 3 weeks pay.

Old 03-01-2013, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
There's no good reason why a paycheck should "bounce".
Do you know if it's because of a hold or if it's due to insufficient funds?
I'd notify that company they owe you 3 weeks pay.

actually, that's a good question, i am not sure if it was a hold or insufficient funds. the bank called but i can't recall all of the detials, although I think it was because of a hold. thanks.

Old 03-01-2013, 07:33 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,072,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anwhite80 View Post
so i will follow through with your advice and email HR after the end of next week! thanks. yes, good point, i have been honest with them and they seem like fair people but maybe they just don't want to pay it out...
Why are you waiting until "after the end of next week"?! I would email them TODAY. It's not going to get any easier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment