Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2015, 10:48 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,571,179 times

Advertisements

No, certainly not. There are people, places, and events that need guarding. Thank you to them, I say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2015, 01:30 AM

15,129 posts, read 32,330,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelinLow View Post
No, certainly not. There are people, places, and events that need guarding. Thank you to them, I say.
Correct, and I'm one of them!

Old 08-25-2015, 06:21 PM

2,802 posts, read 3,190,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
I've discovered amongst some people I know that being a security guard is regarded as the lowest and most contemptible job a person can have. Comments that I have heard include things like "security guards are losers who can't get a real job." One person informed me that security guards are often "stupid, fat, ugly, lonely people who would otherwise be unemployed and homeless, but lucked into this boring, low paying, unskilled job."

One of the biggest criticisms I hear about security guards that make them both ridiculous and pathetic is that they are "cop wannabes" and imagine that their position gives them some sort of authority, or at the very least 'machismo'.

Let me say emphatically that I disagree with this view. I think whatever your job or occupation is, it is far better than being unemployed or on welfare. It is an honest profession and these men and women deserve respect, not ridicule.

I call them Security Officers. I know some who take their jobs seriously, are fastidious about their uniforms and grooming, and are polite and responsible. Some are trying to improve their careers by taking classes to become managers and supervisors, or by becoming armed security officers.

However, I concede that most people will regard "security guard" with "pathetic loser."
In all honesty, I'd rather be some rent-a-cop at some business than a loser working for the TSA.

Old 08-26-2015, 08:50 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,478,778 times
Once you go full-time, TSA pays much more than the average security job. They also have better benefits than most security companies.

Old 08-26-2015, 10:05 AM

70 posts, read 84,381 times
why would a tsa officer be a loser? isn't airport security significant? aren't the officers well qualified? we hear of some overzealous actions sometimes, but safety is important and sometimes you can't be too careful

does granny get stripped searched occasionally? maybe she does!!

Old 08-26-2015, 10:52 AM

4,272 posts, read 6,299,572 times
I know someone that started as a "lowly" security officer and is now the head of security for a Fortune 500 company. So no, I wouldn't say they are all losers.

Old 10-03-2015, 08:51 AM

35 posts, read 84,655 times
But no where will they pay you to sleep like than in these low paid security jobs. It's low pay if you have to work but decent if all you do is sleep in the bed of the first aid room for a solid 9 hours out of your 12 hour shift. 2.5 hours to watch movies or play on laptop and 30 min to talk to reliever and go to the toilet, remake the bed you slept in, etc, and when you get up you can have a life and not be a slave. Have time for family. I work to live not live to work.

Old 10-03-2015, 08:57 AM

35 posts, read 84,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AverageJoeMamma View Post
why would a tsa officer be a loser? isn't airport security significant? aren't the officers well qualified? we hear of some overzealous actions sometimes, but safety is important and sometimes you can't be too careful

does granny get stripped searched occasionally? maybe she does!!
Too much work. Even if it paid double I'd rather get paid to sleep
75 percent of my time. Making less than $25k a year might not be great but if you slept through and stayed to watch movies then fair is fair. Some do college homework and are totally disengaged from the work they do. So I say it is not all about how much you make but HOW you make that wage. I'm very content to live simply. Spend time with wife and kids. Time together is what I value over money.

Silver and gold have I none.
But the love to each other I have thee.
I the name of matrimony, I raise a family.

Old 10-03-2015, 04:16 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,845,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AverageJoeMamma View Post
why would a tsa officer be a loser?
Because they molest innocent people for a living. I flew for work a couple of weeks ago and some big TSA officer crammed his hand inside of my pants around my waist and felt all the way around. He seemed to enjoy it.

Old 10-08-2015, 12:24 AM

3,376 posts, read 6,107,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by umpatan View Post
But no where will they pay you to sleep like than in these low paid security jobs. It's low pay if you have to work but decent if all you do is sleep in the bed of the first aid room for a solid 9 hours out of your 12 hour shift. 2.5 hours to watch movies or play on laptop and 30 min to talk to reliever and go to the toilet, remake the bed you slept in, etc, and when you get up you can have a life and not be a slave. Have time for family. I work to live not live to work.
Definitely going to look at getting back into this once I get my pickup truck paid off.
Some people fell asleep on this job, but I never did when I was working it.
Did my rounds, took in the sights of the night, and rolled on home as soon as the sun was coming up.

If anything, security work became one of those few jobs I hardly ever complained about when/if I was getting the right number of hours.
And as some of the posters here have mentioned, it's a good way to squeeze some studying time/homework assignments in if you're getting into some other line of work.

I've had my CA guard card since 2003 and I keep that thing renewed each year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment