Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2013, 04:16 PM

29,823 posts, read 24,913,395 times

Advertisements

Just curious how people handle this. I'm in a bit of a predicament. Most of my family lives in another state, and I just found out some news regarding a close family member. If something might require you to take time off in the near future, but nothing is certain, is it worth mentioning to your employer? Or is it better to wait until you know for sure what's going on?

Basically, I have a sick family member back home. They will begin treatment within a week, and we should know more info in the coming days. It could be life threatening, but more info is needed. I'm not sure if I should give my boss a heads up or wait until I know more. I would like to be close by if they need moral support, etc. Any advice would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2013, 04:17 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
What's the harm in giving the boss the heads up? It may allow him to plan better.

Old 03-13-2013, 04:24 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,938,904 times
NO, I wouldn't mention it at this point. You don't know anything. Also, if you "ask" then you are giving your employer the option to say "No". I try not to do ever do that. If you need to leave for a family emergency, tell (don't ask) your employer. I've always found it better to apologize later rather than ask permission first in situations where I'm going to do what I need to do anyway.

Old 03-13-2013, 04:33 PM

2,633 posts, read 6,400,267 times
Definitely do it now. I'd do it verbally with your supervisor/direct manager. Just a quick - "Hey, my sister is beginning chemo in a week and I may need to take some vacation time on short notice - I'll keep you posted on the dates". Far better than the "Umm, I have an undisclosed 'family emergency' and can't come in tomorrow" call you'd drop otherwise.

Any manager that would even raise an eyebrow at a professional heads up isn't even worth working for.

Old 03-13-2013, 04:34 PM

4,045 posts, read 4,431,622 times
I did that with a pet before and that's an even bigger predicament...

Old 03-13-2013, 10:26 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,395,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Just curious how people handle this. I'm in a bit of a predicament. Most of my family lives in another state, and I just found out some news regarding a close family member. If something might require you to take time off in the near future, but nothing is certain, is it worth mentioning to your employer? Or is it better to wait until you know for sure what's going on?

Basically, I have a sick family member back home. They will begin treatment within a week, and we should know more info in the coming days. It could be life threatening, but more info is needed. I'm not sure if I should give my boss a heads up or wait until I know more. I would like to be close by if they need moral support, etc. Any advice would be appreciated.
Mention it, but in a casual way. Yes, I realize the irony of this. But in conversation, mention that you have a sick family member, that you are not sure on the details as of yet, but wanted to know if it does come time for you to need some time off, you wanted to know when it would work best for the company.

Now don't bash me for saying you need to put the company first, as I am not really. What I am saying is that by putting it this way you are telling your boss that you understand that you are a needed employee and that in missing time you may be putting the company in a pinch. You also increase your chances of getting the emergency time as it avoids the "but I had no idea you even had a cousin Louise, much less that she was sick" response. Someone who is prewarned that you will do your best to keep them in the loop is more likely to look kindly toward you actually needing to take the time.

Old 03-13-2013, 10:51 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,972,963 times
Give them a heads up. Quite frankly, if you take little time off ordinarily and they are not supportive, you should want a new employer anyway. So to you in informing them now, there is little risk .

Old 03-14-2013, 04:41 PM

29,823 posts, read 24,913,395 times
Thanks for the help. I decided to mention it today, "just to give them a heads up". We are absolutely swamped right now, and this would be the worst time to take off work. Having said that, the owner was very supportive and told me "work is work, but family takes precedence." Glad I got it off my chest.

Actually, this is the 2nd immediate family member who had major medical emergencies in the past 2 weeks Glad I work for a good company.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Give them a heads up. Quite frankly, if you take little time off ordinarily and they are not supportive, you should want a new employer anyway. So to you in informing them now, there is little risk .
Exactly how I feel. Anyone who believes money holds a higher value than human life is not someone I would want to help advance financially.

Old 03-14-2013, 04:54 PM

3,044 posts, read 5,002,336 times
Quote:
Thanks for the help. I decided to mention it today, "just to give them a heads up". We are absolutely swamped right now, and this would be the worst time to take off work. Having said that, the owner was very supportive and told me "work is work, but family takes precedence." Glad I got it off my chest.
Good move. I think too many people make the mistake of being too afraid to tell their manager and wait till the last minute, leaving the manager in an impossible position.

When I was younger, I'd have that apprehension and would always wait till the week before my vacation to tell the boss. Never went over well. Now I log my vacations once I have plans set. It's much easier to plan around someone's absence the further out they are. No problems now.

Old 03-15-2013, 12:26 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,704,291 times
Quote:
Glad it worked out for you. I always think its a good idea to give that, "heads up" in a type of situation. Even with managers who feel like yours ("family takes precedence") it seems like a fair thing to do so that if / when you do have to go, possibly on very short notice, it is not catching them by surprise.

My grandmother passed away a few years ago. She had been ill beforehand and we knew it was just a matter of time; all of us in the family were prepared to go home when things got to be near the end. For me, "going home" meant either a 10-hour drive or at least half a day flying there (small town, no direct flights). I made my manager aware of this a few months before she passed; she would even periodically just ask how she was doing. When I finally got a call basically saying that I needed to get back home ASAP, I called my manager, gave her an update (no real explanation needed as she already was aware of the situation), and was packed and out the door within an hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment