Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 05:28 PM

1,588 posts, read 2,531,964 times

Advertisements

I couldn't stand being an O-3E in the USAF. That was 90k a year and full benefits for my entire family. Now, I make less and still have a soul crushing job that makes similar with NO benefits. The grass is not always greener, SUCK IT UP! However, you don't give us enough details. If she feels she can support herself and has little or no debt then let her retire. If she's mortgaged and has high balance credit accounts then work to pay off those debts then retire. Remember retirement pay isn't guaranteed. Some of the highest paid people I know are the ones with the most debt. There was a study done that there was an epidemic among high paid professionals making awful investments and using credit when they never should have. A surprising number of high earners declare bankruptcy late in life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2013, 06:54 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
It is a personal decision that only she can make...

Someone I know retired at 51 with a 180k pension plus lifetime medical...

He got bored and went to work for a competitor and earns 130k...

Leaving one job isn't necessary the end... it could be a beginning.

By the way, he was an Oakland Police Officer and now works for the County.

Old 04-05-2013, 07:03 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
"because you don't like it" is a hard statement to evaluate. Does she hate it and can't stand going to work or something more mild?

Old 04-06-2013, 02:46 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,994,497 times
It's not what you make. It's what you keep. I left the rat race a long time ago. Why? Even if you win the rat race, you're still a rat.

Old 04-06-2013, 03:27 AM

107 posts, read 204,887 times
Yes, I would quit, I'm single no kids age 30ish. I probably would even do it if I had a kid. Been there and done that and yes I would do it again if necessary. I had a job about a 1 yr ago like that making 55 hourly. I had been their only 3 months, they wanted be to stay onboard so bad they even offered to increase my pay but didn't care how much money they were going to offer me. The job & the location sucked period and I was not about to scarfice my life happiness for a corporate job for $$$ . I know there are many out there that will but that will not be me. LOL . I declined and quit to take another job paying 10 dollars hourly less than I was making there. For me these jobs are a dime a dozen . I am now right back in the same situation but this time above 160k yr hindering quitting once again. Reasons why it is stressful and I work with a bunch of lazy people. I am thinking about quitting for early retirement as well. I mean how much money does one need. I really want out of this corporate rat race as well. I just need the basics food and shelter. If I was to go overseas half of the year the food and shelter would get much cheaper.

If the person you mentioned is anything like myself .

1.) No debt
2.) House paid off
3.) Significant amount of savings to cover 2 years of expenses
4.) 2 car paid off
5.) Outside investments that earn income (Real estate / Stocks / other Passive income methods)

Old 04-06-2013, 08:19 AM

1,203 posts, read 4,082,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Believe me...when your soul is being sucked from you, any amount of financial incentive loses its sparkle.
Bingo. Management positions can be especially soul crushing.

People should try to make enough money that they won't be stressed about bills or the future, but make it a job they enjoy. I know many people at my previous job that had no interest in going into management (even though they were qualified for it) because they didn't feel the additional stress and aggravation was worth the pay raise.

Old 04-06-2013, 10:16 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
It's not what you make. It's what you keep. I left the rat race a long time ago. Why? Even if you win the rat race, you're still a rat.
Should put this on a fortune cookie...

Too many I know are on the tread wheel... often by their own doing... they make the big salaries and live the lifestyle... yet, they have little put away.

My Grandfather had a sign above his desk that went something like this...

Prosperity is earning a dollar and only needed 99 cents...

Old 04-06-2013, 11:28 AM

21,882 posts, read 25,146,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
It is a personal decision that only she can make...

Someone I know retired at 51 with a 180k pension plus lifetime medical...

He got bored and went to work for a competitor and earns 130k...

Leaving one job isn't necessary the end... it could be a beginning.

By the way, he was an Oakland Police Officer and now works for the County.
More likely he maxed out his pension.

Why work for $210? when you get get $180k in pension and another $130k doing the same thing for a different agency? Plus, if he puts in another 15 yrs with the county, that's another 15@3% or $58.5k in addition to his $180k pension with Oakland PD. Not a hard decision.

Old 04-06-2013, 01:19 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times
Yea I always wondered why these people would work at one place for 20, 25, or 30 years, retire and get a job somewhere else. Why retire if you like working? It took me years to realize that they retire, have a pension, but can still work somewhere else making twice what they would have made. Lucky them. (Why couldn't I have figured that out years ago, LOL)

Old 04-06-2013, 01:39 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,567,401 times
Work is a social and economic endevor. Lots of people retire early, the smart ones know enough to save and invest so they have that option. There is even a website devoted to people who desire to retire early or who have already done so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment