Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 03:30 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,393,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
Interesting points, thanks. My husband is a restaurant GM and has been with the place (and this boss) for over 10 years. The boss never approves or denies vacations. My husband and his boss simply let the other know when they are going on vacation. This is the first time something like this has happened. Also, my husband was very forthcoming in telling his boss that if that week didn't work, he would take another. While his boss didn't specifically approve it (he never does/has), he definitely had the option to simply say no. The passive/aggressive way that he did this is just a jerk move.

Agree in this case. In the future, I would tell your husband to write it on the boss's calendar. That way, if the boss says nothing, well, it was pretty clear he was aware. And if he complains about the note on the calendar, well, your husband knows he saw the request.

As for texting calling while on vacation, I think you have a responsibility to address an issue like denying your employee's vacation before you leave for yours.

Agreed. Which actually makes me wonder if he knew/remembered? While I agree it is passive aggressive, looking at it from the insensitive jerk's perspective (the boss not your husband) I wouldn't want to deal with that on my vacation...I would think he would have at least denied it on the way out the door...

Incidentally, had my husband done this (and he schedules well over 100 people); his phone would blow up from his boss contacting him.

I know that feeling. No one is ever happy with the schedule. Ever. I have had people complain to me about giving them 4 days off in one week and had to inform them they were not available Mon and Tues and asked for Wed and Thurs, so what did they expect?

His boss does routinely text/call him when he's off work. That will be changing starting now.

Don't take the calls. I NEVER do. Or I wait until I am 3 hours away to call back. I will actually take the calls now, but where I am, if my boss were to call me today for help, the call would end with him telling me to come in a half hour late on Monday and write myself in ontime to make up for the Saturday phone call. All about how you are treated.

As a follow-up, his boss did leave a note that he is on vacation for the week that my husband had requested so this issue won't be resolved for days. I would venture to guess that his boss wanted this week off and just took it. My husband had no idea he was even considering this week.

Not a defense, but maybe something just came up and he didn't think about it?

Our next plan is to keep requesting time off until he approves it.

Incidentally, his boss is also a partial owner so going over his head, directly to the owners, won't work.
My advice would be to have your husband talk to the other owners about a better vacation process. Have him leave out that his vacaion was messed up...put it in a way that tells them that your husband did not know the guy was going to be away, so anything that needed to be addressed would have become an issue as it was not addressed prior to his leaving. I would also have your husband mention how fortunate it was that he was able to change his plans, or the restaurant would have been left missing 2 major chiefs. Then have him suggest a vacation calendar. My office uses an Excel Spreadsheet. You pick the time you want, you open the spreadsheet, and you mark it. If it conflicts, you need to clear it with a boss. Done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2013, 03:49 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,013,029 times
Why wouldn't your husband ask about the approval at least a week beforehand? Anytime I have asked for vacation if I don't hear about approval I ask AGAIN! "Hey did you get my notice, I really need to know because I have to buy plane tickets/rent a hotel/etc, thanks."

Old 04-06-2013, 04:15 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,937,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beera View Post
Why wouldn't your husband ask about the approval at least a week beforehand? Anytime I have asked for vacation if I don't hear about approval I ask AGAIN! "Hey did you get my notice, I really need to know because I have to buy plane tickets/rent a hotel/etc, thanks."
He did. His boss hates to say "no". Ever. He also just doesn't answer. They only see each other in passing anyway so a lot of communication is via text and notes. If his boss doesn't want to deal with the problem, he just won't answer the question. Incidentally, he doesn't fire, either. Even if it the boss's bad hire, he'll have my husband fire.

Normally, my husband would just go ahead and take the leave. The problem is that the restaurant really can't run without one GM. The other guy knew that. At this point, we've just put in for another vacay request. It will be bordering on the busy time, but oh well. My husband wrote a detailed request and cc'd everybody and told them it's not negotiable. This is not going to happen again.

FWIW, I kinda blame my husband, too. I think he needs to set up way more boundaries with this jerk. I'd never fire someone for my boss. I don't answer work texts or emails at all and everyone knows that and accepts it. But my husband has always been a hard worker and has an ownership mentality.

Thanks, guys.

Old 04-06-2013, 07:36 PM

2,687 posts, read 7,409,755 times
Default wow...

I had such a hard time getting time off last year that I advised my supv I would not be taking any vacation days this year. I'm going to be using sick days. I'll take 'em when I want 'em.
K

Old 04-06-2013, 08:46 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,829,224 times
Obviously not very well as I never get the time off, moving on.

Old 04-06-2013, 08:55 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koale View Post
I had such a hard time getting time off last year that I advised my supv I would not be taking any vacation days this year. I'm going to be using sick days. I'll take 'em when I want 'em.
K

It had to be a reason.

Old 04-06-2013, 09:20 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,429,546 times
That may be a DOL violation but I am not sure. In the terms of your employment contract you are awarded a certain number of vacation days. If you are not ever allowed to take them that is the same de facto as if they lied and did not give them to you in breach of your employment agreement. That might be worth looking into.

However, I think refusing to approve vacation is grounds to look for a new job and quit.

Old 04-06-2013, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
That may be a DOL violation but I am not sure. In the terms of your employment contract you are awarded a certain number of vacation days. If you are not ever allowed to take them that is the same de facto as if they lied and did not give them to you in breach of your employment agreement. That might be worth looking into.

However, I think refusing to approve vacation is grounds to look for a new job and quit.
Unless there is a specific employment contract, there is no DOl violation as vacation days and having to give vacation days is not a federal requirement.

Old 04-06-2013, 09:44 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebunny View Post
Unless there is a specific employment contract, there is no DOl violation as vacation days and having to give vacation days is not a federal requirement.

I always thought it was a normal thing for a supervisor to approve or reject the vacation request based on the employee's

performance
the time being requested is conflicting with someone else
the time being requested is during a big project/something major work related

I don't think a supervisor would reject a vacation to be mean

Old 04-06-2013, 09:45 PM

I have never known one to deny a request to be mean, but I am guessing it has happened.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment