Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2007, 04:47 PM

3 posts, read 10,624 times

Advertisements

I have seen alot of talking,how about a few names of work at home companies people have actually tried that work.Not all assembly jobs are scams,somethings have to be for real in all those work at home books we buy.If you have tried a few tell us your story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2007, 08:55 AM

10,200 posts, read 11,183,342 times
Actually there are some jobs where you make things at home - The problem with those companies, they want them perfect and if they are not - they will send them back to you, until they are perfect in their eyes........Most are scams tho.

I posted a link a few days ago - It has a great amount of wealth in it, including a link..

I can't list the names of companies I have or work for - it's called a privacy issue.

Old 10-23-2007, 01:24 AM

5 posts, read 11,581 times
There are a lot of scams on the internet. I would suggest not paying out of pocket for anything unless you are absolutely confident in the product. If you want to work at home I would try getting multiple income streams. The internet is always changing and what is good today may be gone or out sourced overseas tomorrow.

I have a few things going but I haven't been at it that long so I can only recommend one program that has not cost me anything and payed me an income. I haven't been able to figure out where they draw the line on spam in this forum so I am not going to post a link. I will tell you to click on the home page in my profile to see what I am happy about.

My Motto:

"Keep your money in your pocket and your fingers on the keyboard"

Old 10-25-2007, 07:52 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,749,572 times
Thank you CEMA I've been looking for something to work at after retirement and it looks like I could start this now and continue with it after I retire. 8-10 hours a week is a cakewalk.

I am definitely going to contact this company.

Again, thank you.

Tek

Old 10-26-2007, 12:08 AM

2,141 posts, read 7,872,636 times
Transcribing audio files of corporate meetings

Old 10-26-2007, 09:17 AM

2,355 posts, read 2,184,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisak64 View Post
Transcribing audio files of corporate meetings
How did you get this job?

Old 10-27-2007, 12:36 AM

2,141 posts, read 7,872,636 times
Called large companies that are publically traded and conduct annual shareholders' meetings or lots of conference call types of meetings. Each speaker announces their name prior to speaking and the call is digitally recorded. The company then sends you either an audio file, or in some cases, a cassette tape. You then sit home and type the transcript. I haven't done this in awhile, but when I did, I charged $3.00 a page. It's not very fun and is very tedious work. You often have to sign confidentiality agreements and the like. But you can do it at home as long as you can type accurately and have the patience to sometimes listen to a segment 10 times because the person is difficult to understand. You also have to type everything you hear...even if someone says "Um" at the beginning of a sentence. Like any entreprenurial venture, it takes some "legwork" and sales skills to get clients. But companies go for this because it's cheaper than having someone on payroll to do it and the administrative assistants that work for the companies are too busy to do it.

Old 10-30-2007, 06:15 PM

755 posts, read 2,336,420 times
I've also done work like this recently but it was for a transcribing company in NJ. They only paid $1 per page for the conference calls which were for large company quarterly financial reports. It IS very tedious and time consuming for the small amount you get paid. I am still looking for a work at home job that I can handle having a 3 yr old home with me.

Old 10-30-2007, 09:11 PM

38,951 posts, read 22,954,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisak64 View Post
Called large companies that are publically traded and conduct annual shareholders' meetings or lots of conference call types of meetings. Each speaker announces their name prior to speaking and the call is digitally recorded. The company then sends you either an audio file, or in some cases, a cassette tape. You then sit home and type the transcript. I haven't done this in awhile, but when I did, I charged $3.00 a page. It's not very fun and is very tedious work. You often have to sign confidentiality agreements and the like. But you can do it at home as long as you can type accurately and have the patience to sometimes listen to a segment 10 times because the person is difficult to understand. You also have to type everything you hear...even if someone says "Um" at the beginning of a sentence. Like any entreprenurial venture, it takes some "legwork" and sales skills to get clients. But companies go for this because it's cheaper than having someone on payroll to do it and the administrative assistants that work for the companies are too busy to do it.
I used to do transcription/word processing work in the insurance claims industry. One of my duties would be to transcribe recorded interviews between the claims adjuster and a witness, claimant, etc., in Q&A format. This kind of work was very time-consuming and, as you said, tedious, especially if you're transcribing a poor-quality recording and/or the person speaking is difficult to understand. I haven't done transcription work in several years, but I haven't forgotten how to do it. I actually enjoyed transcribing dictation (letters and reports) much more than the recorded interviews. It's interesting to know that this type of work is still in demand in certain industries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment