Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2013, 11:30 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,676,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by poweramplifyingionairline View Post
For their records in case anyone wanted to use them as a reference.
hahahahahhahahahah!

hahahaahhahaha!

hahahaha

ha

ha

oh man.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2013, 11:31 AM

349 posts, read 274,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
so severe penalty for employees breaking the contract, meaning they are tied to this job for 6 years, but if you decide you don't want them to work for you anymore, you can just stop giving them work.

no one would ever agree to this arrangement, again, unless they were totally desperate.

I wouldn't decide that, unless their performance suffered.

That's sort of the point of a contract.

Old 05-23-2013, 11:34 AM

Quote:
well first of all, benefits are not just health insurance. they're also vacation time, sick time, retirement plan, etc. you should probably bone up on this stuff if you're planning on employing people.

secondly, health insurance is always cheaper when you have a group plan. it's like buying in bulk. many employers cover part of the cost of insurance as well, not that you would do that, obviously.

thirdly, sure you might not use more than you spend, but you also might get cancer and rack up hundreds of thousands of dollars in medical bills. a friend of mine got in an accident and had to have emergency surgery and a hospital stay that totaled over $100k. that's how insurance works - if everyone got their money's worth every year, there would be no money to be made. but it's there (or at least it's supposed to be) when something big happens.

1) I don't believe in any of that.

Why should I pay you for not being in the office?

It is immaterial to me how employees plan to pay for their entirement.

2) Even if the group rate brought it down to $200 per month, you'd still have to get sick three times per year that require medical visits and medicine. (meaning it is a bacterial infection where medicine can actually help)

3) I don't think it's worth throwing away $5,000 a year on the million:1 chance that you get cancer.

I mean if you have cancer, you're probably going to die soon anyway, so it's pointless to worry about finances if that happens.

Old 05-23-2013, 11:35 AM

2,633 posts, read 6,400,267 times
Quote:
Well there would be a severe penalty for violating the contract, so yeah I do think I could prevent them.
No, you can't. It's illegal.

Old 05-23-2013, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Such as?
oh for chrissakes.

here are the two quotes from this thread where people talk about fines and their effect on your business. remember, this exchange started when you said:

Quote:
3) Other posters said, worst-case scenario, the claims are just fines and don't end my business.
i said no other posters said that besides you (because you give yourself false credibility when you tell a lie like that). you asked for proof and said one other poster said that.

here are the two relevant quotes in the thread:

you:

Quote:
Also, I tried checking online and, worst-case scenario, the penalty for discrimination is just a fine.

So even if I lost the case, I could just pay the fine and move on, right?
purpleshadow:

Quote:
Violating the EEO laws may just bring a fine, but there's also the damage to your reputation to consider, especially if you are going to advertise mainly by word-of-mouth.
who is saying worst case scenario you would only have to pay a fine? ONLY YOU. not "other posters". only you.

Old 05-23-2013, 11:40 AM

Quote:
1) I don't believe in any of that.

Why should I pay you for not being in the office?

It is immaterial to me how employees plan to pay for their entirement.

2) Even if the group rate brought it down to $200 per month, you'd still have to get sick three times per year that require medical visits and medicine. (meaning it is a bacterial infection where medicine can actually help)

3) I don't think it's worth throwing away $5,000 a year on the million:1 chance that you get cancer.

I mean if you have cancer, you're probably going to die soon anyway, so it's pointless to worry about finances if that happens.
you do realize that, like, people have to want to work for you? it's not just about you and what you get out of the bargain. you have to be offering something to get people, especially good people.

i mean obviously you don't realize that which is why if you actually manage to find someone who agrees to work for you, you are never going to retain anyone.

it's like, basic human nature that people need incentives to do things, the more unpleasant, the more incentive. working for you, based on what you have said about your policies and based on your general demeanor in this thread, is the dictionary definition of unpleasant. and you are offering basically NOTHING. a mediocre pay rate that probably doesn't even take into account the extra costs of being a contractor.

also, a little bit of science fact: way more than 1 in a million people get cancer and it's not always fatal. also, there are other diseases and injuries that happen to people. and this last part might be difficult for you to understand, but people have families and loved ones and even if they do get a terminal illness those people are left paying the bill if they don't have insurance.

anyway, it's been fun. i'm gonna try to stop responding now, although the fish in a barrel nature of this conversation makes it kinda tough.

Old 05-23-2013, 11:42 AM

Quote:
The way I am designing the business: I look at a task and decide how long it should take, for me. I then double that time to account for the fact that most people aren't as intelligent as me. I then decide what a fair hourly wage is. Then, I give the task a price tag.

I allow the employee time to complete the job in the office because I am available to help if needed and it allows them to focus better, but the employee needs to be able to start a new task the next day, so if the employee cannot finish in the designated time, then they need to finish at home.
Not legal for non-exempt hourly employees.

Quote:
You don't even know what discrimination is. If I have to make special accomodations for older people, that's discrimination too.
Pretty sure you've just confirmed to everyone here that you have no clue.

Quote:
Because the TSA program doesn't want you to work for them. They just want to determine if you are not a severe threat. A person could be safe, yet intellectually stupid. But the TSA is fine with those kinds of people. I am not though.
You brought up flying as an exampe of invasiveness. I showed you directly how your process is more invasive than the most invasive experience you could possibly have with TSA.

Quote:
From the acronym you gave me, the student has the right to allow the teacher to provide a reference, but the teacher needs the student's permission.

So I would just simply assume that if the student does NOT want to give permission, then there must be something bad in those records that he does not want me to see.
Or, they just write you off as completely and totally insane the minute you asked for this.

Quote:
I would also find good employees that think my process is a good application process.

I'd rather get a small number of highly motivated applicants than high number of lazy applicants.
You will not find one, let alone plural.

Old 05-23-2013, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EzPeterson View Post
No, you can't. It's illegal.

It's illegal to have a penalty for violating the contract?

That can't be true. Why would contracts even exist, if either side could just break them at will?

Old 05-23-2013, 11:48 AM

Just look up at-will employment. The rights to terminate run both ways.

Old 05-23-2013, 11:49 AM

Quote:
you do realize that, like, people have to want to work for you? it's not just about you and what you get out of the bargain. you have to be offering something to get people, especially good people.

i mean obviously you don't realize that which is why if you actually manage to find someone who agrees to work for you, you are never going to retain anyone.

it's like, basic human nature that people need incentives to do things, the more unpleasant, the more incentive. working for you, based on what you have said about your policies and based on your general demeanor in this thread, is the dictionary definition of unpleasant. and you are offering basically NOTHING. a mediocre pay rate that probably doesn't even take into account the extra costs of being a contractor.

also, a little bit of science fact: way more than 1 in a million people get cancer and it's not always fatal. also, there are other diseases and injuries that happen to people. and this last part might be difficult for you to understand, but people have families and loved ones and even if they do get a terminal illness those people are left paying the bill if they don't have insurance.

anyway, it's been fun. i'm gonna try to stop responding now, although the fish in a barrel nature of this conversation makes it kinda tough.

I think a smart person would rather have $5,000 extra salary than dumping it into an insurance black hole.

Working for me is an amazing experience. I am very pleasant to work with because the expectations are clear, the job is secure, and I make no exceptions, ever.

And if our personalities are not compatible, when our contract is up, if you nevertheless performed well, you can get a job in any field you want, because I personally will make sure of it.

I will write a 10-page reference letter if that is what it takes. So your future is set, as long as you do what I tell you to do.

And while the total pay at the end of the year might be mediocre, the applicant still gets a lot of time off, which should be a plus.

The actual rate at which they earn will probably be above average, though in terms of the caliber and volume of work I expect, is only average.

There are 300 million people in the US, so 1 million is just 1/3 of 1%.

If you have a terminal illness, I'm saying you should just let the person die.

Why spend $500,000 to postpone the inevitable for 3 months if they don't have the money to spend?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment