Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 07:46 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,774,008 times

Advertisements

I agree with the others. The manager should talk to him about this problem in private.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2013, 08:34 PM

2,957 posts, read 5,907,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loops778 View Post
send an anonymous email.
Yes. Google anonymous emails and do it. This is the perfect answer.

Old 05-21-2013, 08:41 PM

8,494 posts, read 6,900,248 times
Reminds me of the guy I used to work with in the cubicle next to me. Smelled like dog hair and mothballs. Said he slept with his dog. Not sure about the mothballs.

Old 05-21-2013, 10:41 PM

4,210 posts, read 4,462,073 times
Olfactory assault! Arrggggghhh

1) Ask supervisor to address issue (I find it difficult to believe supervisor would not be aware unless supervisor is mostly remote and in another work place altogether for most of time)

2) Ask HR to address the olfactory assault in workplace. From my experience in corporate world they don't have enough active things to do so put a charge in someone in HR to address in the 'proper way' haha. There are cases with people being sick from excessive perfume / cologne etc...

3) Anonymous email direct and succinct with consideration (don't know the situation but as someone working adjacent I would assume you do) to any potential cultural differences

4) For temporary relief (joking) get real close every day and breath it in deeply to fill your olfactory senses, and then you will be like said offender, and not smell it anymore.

Old 05-22-2013, 08:51 AM

807 posts, read 1,354,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
The employee is homeless possibly? No culture takes lack of hygiene to the extremes like you describe. There also could be depression or substance abuse possible. The manager needs to address this issue, Its part of his job.
Trust me there is. Back when I was working in a grocery store in my teen years, we had an indian girl that worked one of the cash registers. Beautiful girl, but she smelled horrible and people talked. She did not wear deordorant and it was definitely noticeable.

Old 05-22-2013, 09:00 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,300,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
You need to have your manager have a conversation with the odorfender.
This.

Old 05-22-2013, 09:04 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,300,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
The employee is homeless possibly? No culture takes lack of hygiene to the extremes like you describe. There also could be depression or substance abuse possible. The manager needs to address this issue, Its part of his job.
You can have good hygiene and still stink to high heaven.

Some cultures don't wear deodorant. There are various reasons why...it's expensive, they consider it a luxury, they're used to people stinking like people (it's normal to stink), etc. In those cultures, not wearing deodorant and having BO is not a big deal because everybody does it. They may bathe every day, but you'll start to stink pretty fast if you're not wearing deodorant...particularly if your clothes have that baked-in BO smell and haven't been washed in a while. People in developing countries don't wear clothes once then wash them. That's something rich Westerners do.

It doesn't mean they're dirty. It just means that they have a normal human animal smell that we're not used to smelling because we scrub and perfume everything to an extreme.

A manager should take this person aside gently and explain to them that in this culture, we find that odor unpleasant and offensive. That's really all it should take.

Old 05-22-2013, 10:46 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,926,748 times
There is this guy with really bad breath at the store that I work. I have complained but the managers don't seem to want to deal with it (they feel bad because of his age and financial situation) If I wanted to press it further I'd have to deal with HR I guess.

Old 05-22-2013, 11:36 AM

4,896 posts, read 14,144,809 times
Had a maintenance worker at my job on LBK who would not wear deodorant (foreigner), would get talked to every year about his "smell" by my manager. He would adhere for awhile and then revert to stink. My boss hated to fire him as he was the only worker who never used a sick day. Finally, he was fired by the BOD. You can't imagine being around someone in 96 degree heat with B.O.

At my last job, again, another co-worker with B.O., filthy clothes, dandruff...the whole nine yards. Management was told, not sure if anything was ever done. An airfreshner was placed on the wall outside his door. He also used to cough at the lunch table & not cover his mouth.

Old 05-22-2013, 02:48 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,168,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
You can have good hygiene and still stink to high heaven.

Some cultures don't wear deodorant. There are various reasons why...it's expensive, they consider it a luxury, they're used to people stinking like people (it's normal to stink), etc. In those cultures, not wearing deodorant and having BO is not a big deal because everybody does it. They may bathe every day, but you'll start to stink pretty fast if you're not wearing deodorant...particularly if your clothes have that baked-in BO smell and haven't been washed in a while. People in developing countries don't wear clothes once then wash them. That's something rich Westerners do.

It doesn't mean they're dirty. It just means that they have a normal human animal smell that we're not used to smelling because we scrub and perfume everything to an extreme.

A manager should take this person aside gently and explain to them that in this culture, we find that odor unpleasant and offensive. That's really all it should take.
This is a great post. I agree totally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment