Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2013, 11:04 AM

13 posts, read 41,297 times

Advertisements

We just relocated to Plano for my husbands job and I am trying to find something to do here. I have been applying for IT jobs(even the entry level ones) but I think the gap is going against me. I did coldfusion in the past and crystal reports. I worked for a not for profit company before I decided to be a SAHM.

I am willing to switch careers if that lands me a job. I just need to desperately get out of the house. I did a CCNA course at a community college but never took the certification.

I am hoping someone could have some valuable suggestions so I could get my career back on track and start contributing to my family too. I hope I haven't ruined my chances of working just because of this gap. It makes me so sad just by saying this!

It also has been lately annoying my husband that I am a SAHM when we go to look at houses that are slightly out of our budget It gets pretty frustrating when I hear a ear full at almost every house we see!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2013, 11:18 AM

2,516 posts, read 5,686,495 times
Check out Dell. One of my former IT associates that works at Dell (Both of us live in DFW) commented a couple of weeks ago that they are hiring for several positions.

Old 06-25-2013, 12:13 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,770,552 times
I would try to get an IT certification as close as you can to what you did in the past and build on that. Do you have a particular area you are interested in?

Tech skills go obsolete fast as you probably already know: I used to use Cold Fusion and Crystal Reports, but since it's been several years, so because of that, I do not have either of those skills on my current resume.

Try to update the skills you have as much as you can to make yourself more marketable. Not sure what areas you are leaning towards? What do you like in IT?

Old 06-25-2013, 12:21 PM

23,521 posts, read 24,000,129 times
As others have said, update your skills as much as you can, start networking to find an entry level job somewhere. IT is a strange job marketplace, employers have plenty of jobs open, but complain that they cannot find folks with the right skills.
Once folks get those skills, some of the skills are on the way to being obsolete. Continuous study and work is likely the only way to stay current.

Good luck, keep trying. Persistence and determination will eventually win out.

Old 06-26-2013, 06:55 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,477,771 times
Crystal Reports is still hot. Focus on that. It was bought by Business Objects and is now called Business Objects. Sometimes Xi. I think. Do your research on the newer versions and study up on the difference.

Also search Business Intelligence. This is the newer term for Business Objects/Crystal Reports type work.

There are lots of business (non IT) jobs that deal with Business Objects. You create the sql and the reports. You can use this to get back into work and then gradually get into IT over time. The pay for the Business Objects 'business side' folks can be good enough that you stay in it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment