Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 09:45 AM

378 posts, read 772,507 times

Advertisements

I'm in a frustrating situation with recruiters. I'm being pegged as junior level even thought I've been a Senior web developer for 10+ years, before my stay at home (I did Java and Microsoft dev work for years). I've part-timed ever since. But, it's not good enough. I took the previsor J2EE test with Advanced results. But recruiters hearing that I've part-timed, consider me not upto date and junior?! I'm not asking for senior level salary either.

I'm not sure what to do. I'm particular about location since I do have kids. We live in a good area with many major corps around. Should I start going to companies on my own or keep using Dice and other sites? Any advice and support would be greatly appreciated.

All this nonsense about companies being flex to SAHM situation is bull.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2009, 10:05 AM

2,365 posts, read 11,128,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joyBeing View Post
I'm in a frustrating situation with recruiters. I'm being pegged as junior level even thought I've been a Senior web developer for 10+ years, before my stay at home

All this nonsense about companies being flex to SAHM situation is bull.
Curious what is SAHM?

but anyway, my first thought would be to contact a couple of headhunters who are willing to work with you and give you some pointers how you can be entry level Senior or a newbie senior or a re-entry newbie senior.

Or get your own jobs, if you can find any contract jobs? Bid low and get the title, then move on.

i can't think of anything else at the moment.

good luck!

Old 04-16-2009, 10:10 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,061,326 times
I'd suggest networking--are you on LinkedIn? Most I/T people I know who have changed positions in the past six months have found their new job through a freind or associate. It definitely helps to have the introduction made by someone in the field. Good luck!

Old 04-16-2009, 10:13 AM

Thanks for responding.

SAHM - stay at home mom

I've been talking to recruiters, but they won't submit my resume for positions that I CAN do because they feel I'm not senior enough even with lower salary expectations. As I said, I aced the tests, which I know some working senior people don't. It's very confusing....

Old 04-16-2009, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Thanks for responding.

SAHM - stay at home mom

I've been talking to recruiters, but they won't submit my resume for positions that I CAN do because they feel I'm not senior enough even with lower salary expectations. As I said, I aced the tests, which I know some working senior people don't. It's very confusing....

Perhaps it is because your local recruiting pool is too local and everyone knows each other and there are too many seniors that have not been SAHM's....

So, if you are married, can't you possibley work on a month type Senior projects in other parts of the country just for the year??? And work with more hungry recruiters??

no problem!!

Old 04-16-2009, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I'd suggest networking--are you on LinkedIn? Most I/T people I know who have changed positions in the past six months have found their new job through a freind or associate. It definitely helps to have the introduction made by someone in the field. Good luck!
Another fault of mine! I maintained contact with a few people from my past, because I was a contractor and didn't keep track! My dopey fault. I'm definitely trying to find folks on LinkedIn. Thanks for your suggestion.

Old 04-16-2009, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Another fault of mine! I maintained contact with a few people from my past, because I was a contractor and didn't keep track! My dopey fault. I'm definitely trying to find folks on LinkedIn. Thanks for your suggestion.

i don't understand,... you said in your original post, that you were never really out of the job market, since you part-timed since? right?

so you should already have a big network with recent employers? right?

good luck!

well, the only other option is to Bypass the headhunters, recruiters!

Old 04-16-2009, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gea12345 View Post
Perhaps it is because your local recruiting pool is too local and everyone knows each other and there are too many seniors that have not been SAHM's....

So, if you are married, can't you possibley work on a month type Senior projects in other parts of the country just for the year??? And work with more hungry recruiters??

no problem!!
Sorry, I can't leave my kids for a month. The local pool is not so small. I live in a very large area. It's just the market is tight right now, and too many people out of work or just looking...

Thanks for your suggestions.

Old 04-16-2009, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gea12345 View Post
i don't understand,... you said in your original post, that you were never really out of the job market, since you part-timed since? right?

so you should already have a big network with recent employers? right?

good luck!
To clarify, I've only had one employer with whom I sub-contracted as a part-timer.

Old 04-16-2009, 10:25 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,061,326 times
You're in the Philly area--look for direct hire jobs with the utilities, hospitals, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment