Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2013, 11:32 PM

2,801 posts, read 2,312,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beera View Post
Yup and that same guy is being told for jobs he could possibly really qualify for that he needs "3-5 years of experience."
I was told I wasn't "qualified" for a job almost exactly the same as I had been doing for 20 years ... WHY ? I have the wrong degree, mine is Technical, they wanted an Administrative one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2013, 12:31 AM

29,837 posts, read 24,942,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
You care to provide a post by this "roving group of people on this message board" that stated "there are no jobs available period?"
Umm, why?

Seems 1/4th of the posts on this forum fits the description. The complaining comes from a small minority, yet they seem to post in the greatest volume. Sometimes, they will hijack an entire thread and rabble on insatiably about how the world is perpetually kicking them in the groin at every turn. One can't help but wonder... If they have time to sling insults in the direction of employers for hours on end, how much time are they devoting toward looking for actual work?

Which is why some of us question the belief that there are no jobs. Sure, there are no $20/hr sit in a desk and stuff envelop jobs, but there are a few $9/hr answer the phone jobs, $10/hr break a sweat jobs and maybe a few $12/hr break a bigger sweat jobs. If you feel like sacrificing your health and body, there are even a few break a really big sweat jobs in North Dakota.

I have also noticed jobs being filled by the lowest common denominator. If intelligent, hard working people are in fact having such a difficult time finding work, than why are companies bringing in the chronic mouth breathers of the herd to fulfill their limited demand for labor?

Old 07-14-2013, 07:25 AM

1,923 posts, read 2,411,994 times
Well it's not so much there's no jobs it's that employers aren't responding to people after filling out applications, and that's a problem.

Old 07-14-2013, 07:39 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,062,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parried View Post
Well it's not so much there's no jobs it's that employers aren't responding to people after filling out applications, and that's a problem.
This has been explained to you previously.

There are many more applicants than there are jobs. Some employers respond only to those people they are interested in interviewing.

While this may be rude, it is not a structural problem in our employment system.

Old 07-14-2013, 07:58 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,751,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Umm, why?

Seems 1/4th of the posts on this forum fits the description. The complaining comes from a small minority, yet they seem to post in the greatest volume. Sometimes, they will hijack an entire thread and rabble on insatiably about how the world is perpetually kicking them in the groin at every turn. One can't help but wonder... If they have time to sling insults in the direction of employers for hours on end, how much time are they devoting toward looking for actual work?

Which is why some of us question the belief that there are no jobs. Sure, there are no $20/hr sit in a desk and stuff envelop jobs, but there are a few $9/hr answer the phone jobs, $10/hr break a sweat jobs and maybe a few $12/hr break a bigger sweat jobs. If you feel like sacrificing your health and body, there are even a few break a really big sweat jobs in North Dakota.

I have also noticed jobs being filled by the lowest common denominator. If intelligent, hard working people are in fact having such a difficult time finding work, than why are companies bringing in the chronic mouth breathers of the herd to fulfill their limited demand for labor?
Again, I haven't heard "a roving group of people on this message board" at any time state that "there are NO jobs available PERIOD."

Old 07-14-2013, 07:58 AM

2,702 posts, read 2,768,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
This has been explained to you previously.

There are many more applicants than there are jobs. Some employers respond only to those people they are interested in interviewing.

While this may be rude, it is not a structural problem in our employment system.
Even though you're well qualified for the position? I have seen jobs where the requirements seem simple enough and yet employers are asking for the holy grail. Stuff like this destroys a person's esteem.

Old 07-14-2013, 08:10 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,062,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deposite View Post
Even though you're well qualified for the position? I have seen jobs where the requirements seem simple enough and yet employers are asking for the holy grail. Stuff like this destroys a person's esteem.
You are posing a different question than parried. Your concern is about employers asking for levels of experience higher than you deem necessary. Parried has his knickers in a twist about not receiving responses for all of his applications.

Your issue is that we have still not worked through our high nemployment levels and have too many well qualified unemployed workers. Yes, that is terrible for you, and you may hav to respond by increasing your credentials or reducing your expectations.

While high unemployment is a real problem, the blame, in my opinion, is a political thing having to do with unfettered bank deregulation, the bush tax cuts and a couple of unfounded wars. Your opinion on root causes may differ, but no matter who is right, the situation exists. Whether or not you get responses is completely irrelevant to all of this and simply indicates you need to do something a bit differently.

Old 07-14-2013, 09:29 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,059,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KosmoKramer View Post
I've seen multiple posts throughout this site where people constantly complain about the low pay and lack of benefits. So what's the rationale for people with no income whatsoever to ignore the low-paying jobs? Why not apply for those jobs? Once you get that job, then you can continue searching for a better job.

I know some people who would just laugh at a $40k/year job...pretty much saying that the job is "beneath them" (e.g., I should be getting wayyy more than this based on my degree and experience). And these are the same people who are currently making $0/year. Is it because of pride, arrogance, or entitlement?

It's not always easy to find another once you accept that low paying job which is why people should carefully select the right job so they won't feel stuck

Old 07-14-2013, 09:51 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,059,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
I have a friend in that situation. He's in his 30s and lives with his parents. He's been out of work 2 years now. He has an engineering degree and a Masters.

If I were him, I'd be working at Applebee's or something. Hell, I'd work at Applebee's if I had a pHd.

Nothing is beneath me!

Of course, if you are still collecting government cheese, it's a different story.

Yeah if you were forced to move back home you have to accept any job because there is no way you can live with your parents and not work

I was still being picky because I was still receiving in UC and wanted to choose the right job. But if I had to move back home I would have no longer had that option

Old 07-14-2013, 01:03 PM

29,837 posts, read 24,942,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parried View Post
Would you have them send you a pretty package with a bow on top expressing their sympathy that they cannot bring you on board? Surely you must realize what you are asking is a mountain of a task that would cost the companies tons of unnecessary time and money. That wasted money would be much better spent in the form of wages and new hiring in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment