Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2013, 10:30 PM

421 posts, read 880,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
Whether you think the boss is right or not, he or she is the boss. If they don't want your input, then don't give it. If you don't like that culture, quit.

Why do people make simple concepts difficult?

Because I'm not going to let the boss think he/she is right just because of a title!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2013, 10:45 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,607,165 times
The boss is not always right. In fact some are in need of "major attitude adjustments". Some need firing and the sooner the better. The whistle blower act if for when you have the smoking gun and aren't afraid to use it. Until karma does its job the boss is still the boss. Right or wrong. I've seen some really bad ones and I've seen karma do its thing too. Diplomacy in putting karma in to motion can mean saving ones on career too. Other wise a smart glutal attitude can ruin a career showing that the employee is no smarter or better than the boss.

Old 08-31-2013, 04:12 AM

2,429 posts, read 4,023,230 times
Everyone has his or her own compass on this. If it's important enough to you figure out a way to tactfully bring the issue up, or make a positive suggestion -- or just leave it.

I'm so burned out (and so are my co-workers) most of us just do what we're told and collect a good paycheck in the meantime. If that makes us sheep so be it. Some couldn't care less. We do just enough to stay employed. There's no upward mobility, no real incentive for doing more than the minimum. So that's what some do, me included. If the place goes under (short of bankruptcy) I've got severance coming. We get emails changing a policy or procedure -- and are like -- "whatever." A year from now they're change their mind and go back to what it was....

BUT that said -- IF an issue is important enough and that's a high bar with morale so bad -- we do bring it up.

We're a big international company -- and none of us here knows what the heck corporate management THINKS it's doing. We're just all pretty much trying to stay employed -- make some overtime -- and not work to hard while we're doing it.

Old 08-31-2013, 04:20 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,233,292 times
Pretty sure flamingo_pink has never held a serious job or had serious responsibilities (spouse, kids, mortgage) to care for, his opinion is one of someone without a clue on why some adults behave the way they do. Maybe he will grow up one day, or maybe he will just keep on texting little girls and think he is 'mature'.

Old 08-31-2013, 06:09 AM

4,160 posts, read 5,621,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingo_pink View Post
Well that's up to the woman to defend herself.

You can't exactly regulate someone's free speech.

The woman to defend herself? She was a single mother who was scared of losing her job-as was everyone else.

You don't have free speech when you work for a company...tell that to the guy who posted himself on you tube giving crap to a Chik-Fil-A cashier-

Old 08-31-2013, 07:23 AM

36 posts, read 152,408 times
Now days people will put up with anything just to have a job. Can you blame them. If you fall on hard times others have the nerve to judge.

Old 08-31-2013, 08:47 AM

1,006 posts, read 2,216,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stava View Post
In my experience as an employee, I've found that the majority of people will blindly follow a boss in whatever decision they make, simply because they're the boss. It seems that people think just because someone is in a management position, they are automatically better, wiser, more competent, and more trustworthy than anyone below them. The boss could be doing something that is blatantly wrong, and employees will simply look the other way and keep their mouths shut.

Personally, I refuse to subscribe to the "What the boss says, goes" mentality. If I see bad, unprofessional, or unethical behavior, I will call a spade a spade, regardless the person's position or status within the company. I think that too many people become blinded by a person's apparent "power" within the organization, and then too many excuses are made for people who don't deserve them.

In your work experience, what have you encountered? People who turn into sheep in the face of authority, or people who retain their critical thinking skills and refuse to be swayed by a title?

That's the way the game is played. Like thousands before you taht will make a stand and cvall things out, it will be detrimental to your career. Your only job as an employee is to make your boss look good/better. That's it. Do that and you will go place in the orghanization. Now I'm sure you will respond with stories of how well that has worked and how your now making 300K a year, but its not reality.

Old 08-31-2013, 12:17 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,846,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocaseco View Post
That's the way the game is played. Like thousands before you taht will make a stand and cvall things out, it will be detrimental to your career. Your only job as an employee is to make your boss look good/better. That's it. Do that and you will go place in the orghanization. Now I'm sure you will respond with stories of how well that has worked and how your now making 300K a year, but its not reality.
I have no problem making the boss look good, IF I respect the boss as a person. If the boss is an unethical person or is an arrogant bully who rules by intimidation, I will not support that person. I don't care what it costs me.

Old 08-31-2013, 02:49 PM

336 posts, read 378,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stava View Post
I have no problem making the boss look good, IF I respect the boss as a person. If the boss is an unethical person or is an arrogant bully who rules by intimidation, I will not support that person. I don't care what it costs me.
That's the wrong attitude. As an employee, it is your job is to make your boss look good. If you aren't making your boss look good, then you are not doing your job, and you have no right to expect continued employment, much less bonuses, promotions, or any other type of reward/recognition. Your opinion of your boss or their methods should not enter into the equation.

Regardless of what you think of your boss, you must not do or say anything that could, in any way, make them look bad. You do what you are told (unless it's illegal or clearly unethical). You keep your opinions to yourself unless asked for them. You do not seek "credit" outside your division/organization for the work you do; as the head of your organization/division, your boss is entitled to take credit for the work that you do.

It is your boss's job to reward you (e.g., high performance rating, bonus, promotion, and/or credit) for making them look good. If they don't, after a reasonable period of time, then look elsewhere for employment.

Last edited by VAGeek; 08-31-2013 at 03:12 PM..

Old 08-31-2013, 03:01 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,846,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAGeek View Post
That's the wrong attitude. As an employee, it is your job is to make your boss look good. If you aren't making your boss look good, then are not doing your job, and you have no right to expect continued employment, much less bonuses, promotions, or any other type of reward/recognition. Your opinion of of your boss should not enter into the equation.
Well then, according to your opinion of what an employee's job should be, I guess I'm not doing my job...and I'm loving every minute of it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment