Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 05:28 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,159,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_the_facts View Post
No amount for food? I'ld love to live someplace where food was free. Can anyone tell me where that city is?
Afghanistan and Iraq. While I was there I watched plenty of families grow their own crops and raised their own livestock. Never saw any stores outside of the major cities. If there was a store it operated under the barter system since the local currency is so inflated.

Still interested?

(╯°□°)╯ ︵ ┻━┻
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2013, 06:24 PM

3,401 posts, read 2,285,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
It is just advice or a recommendation from an employer that knows that their wages are pretty difficult to raise a family on.
Of course they know. How could they not?

Quote:
I am sure that this isn't "news" to a McDonald's employee. If this was breaking news to them, then maybe that was the point of this "budgeting tool".
Really? I interpret this little service as a slap in the face for McDonald's staff. "Whaddya mean? We pay you enough to live on. Look! All you need to do is freeze, starve, and find $20 health insurance! Buck up, little soldiers!"

Old 07-18-2013, 06:50 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,159,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabass Inna Bun View Post
Of course they know. How could they not?

Really? I interpret this little service as a slap in the face for McDonald's staff. "Whaddya mean? We pay you enough to live on. Look! All you need to do is freeze, starve, and find $20 health insurance! Buck up, little soldiers!"
I don't think there are too many people out there that work at McDonalds with the intentions of bettering their lives or living comfortably. They know exactly what they are getting into. There are no surprises on payday.

"Holy crap! I didn't know my check was going to be this low".

Back in the mid 90s I was trying to get a Job at McDonalds(never did) while still in high school. My goal was to have some extra spending money, car parts money, taking a girl on a date money and hanging out with the fellas money.

As a teen, I already knew that McD wasn't a good career move. But it was great while living at home with parents. What's different now?

(╯°□°)╯ ︵ ┻━┻

Old 07-18-2013, 07:26 PM

3,401 posts, read 2,285,496 times
Quote:
Back in the mid 90s I was trying to get a Job at McDonalds(never did) while still in high school. My goal was to have some extra spending money, car parts money, taking a girl on a date money and hanging out with the fellas money.

As a teen, I already knew that McD wasn't a good career move. But it was great while living at home with parents. What's different now?
Who do you think runs these places when kids are in school? I did flip burgers at Wendy's when I was a kid, and back then the adult staff was generally either management or retirees or housewives earning a little pin money. But that was 25 years ago. The economy is more service-oriented now.

I agree, I'm sure employees know how little they're paid. As I said, it's a slap in the employees' faces for McDonald's to say "Nah, look, it's really easy to survive flipping burgers!"

Why else would they do something like this? And with such an absurd budget? Who do they think they're kidding?

Old 07-18-2013, 08:34 PM

2,801 posts, read 2,310,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
We shouldn't reward companies for actively corrupting our labor pool by offering only part-time work, in a scurrilous attempt to evade reasonable regulations regarding benefits for full-time workers.
McDonald's type places were never meant to be the single source of income for a family.

McDonald's and the like hire part-time workers because that is all MOST of their workers CAN/want to work; students, mothers, retired folks, etc.. It is much easier to schedule around many part time workers.

Here, during the school year students are limited on the amount of hours they can work a day and/or week, and the times they can work.

This part-time workers at "fast-food" is NOTHING new and has NOTHING to do with Obamacare.

Old 07-19-2013, 12:46 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,924,987 times
Minimum wage is livable provided you live in a low COL area. My one friend (socially retarded weirdo with no friends or family) has been working at a local 7 eleven for 20 years and earns no more than $9 an hour. Rents half a house and owns a car (necessary for where I live).

My other friend (another social outcast) has been working at Mickey D's for 15+ years and lived in a rented motel room.

Old 07-20-2013, 07:47 AM

7,474 posts, read 7,035,522 times
Hilarious.

I assume McDonald's will make sure to schedule its employees in such a way to accommodate their second job, right? Of course not.

Classic modern corporate BS. Get rid of as many jobs as possible, pay slave wages, pocket the profits, and pass the cost of maintaining a functioning society on to somebody else.

Old 07-21-2013, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Afghanistan and Iraq. While I was there I watched plenty of families grow their own crops and raised their own livestock. Never saw any stores outside of the major cities. If there was a store it operated under the barter system since the local currency is so inflated.

Still interested?

(╯°□°)╯ ︵ ┻━┻
The food still isn't "free".

Old 07-21-2013, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
Hilarious.

I assume McDonald's will make sure to schedule its employees in such a way to accommodate their second job, right? Of course not.

Classic modern corporate BS. Get rid of as many jobs as possible, pay slave wages, pocket the profits, and pass the cost of maintaining a functioning society on to somebody else.
Sure they will, they do it for students all the time, they have workers that can work A hours and others that can work B hours, etc. ...

Old 07-21-2013, 06:48 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,484,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
We shouldn't reward companies for actively corrupting our labor pool by offering only part-time work, in a scurrilous attempt to evade reasonable regulations regarding benefits for full-time workers.

I would love to see a law passed and vigorously enforced granting every non-exempt employee the right to claim the hours of any other employee with lower seniority, up to and including the hours that would make the senior employee a full-time worker with full-time worker benefits. Part-time positions should exist only when there aren't workers available to work full-time - they shouldn't exist to give a business the power to shift additional burdens onto the social safety net. There is nothing inherently better for the company, except in terms of evading reasonable regulations regarding benefits for full-time workers, from using part-time workers instead of full-time workers, when the latter are available.
Not possible. This country is run by corp America and lobbyists. But you are right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment