Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 08:26 AM

2 posts, read 4,759 times

Advertisements

Okay short story is that I work with four people per night + my supervisor and they constantly have access to the person's assigned cash till. The float starts off at $150, this is counted by our supervisor at the beginning of the night. The supervisor also counts our till with the cash report at the end of the night.

On nights because I am one of the longest employees there, I am assigned the till. The four other people + supervisor make cash, debit, credit and room charge charges on my till for the full 7 hours. Some nights my till ends up being $20-$50 short.

My work makes it clear that the person that is assigned the till is responsible and has to pay the lost money.

My question is am I actually responsible for that money with the supervisor knowing six people have been accessing the cash till?

Thanks guys.

Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2013, 08:34 AM

2,008 posts, read 4,726,818 times
shouldn't this be a question to your manager and not to a bunch of random people that know absolutely nothing about your place of business and their policies?

Old 12-03-2013, 08:36 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,602,992 times
Doesn't Canada have different laws and such? I have no idea.

Old 12-03-2013, 08:43 AM

2,754 posts, read 7,428,130 times
If you can't get your own till, get another job. No sense in taking the fall for a bunch of thieves.

Or if you can, find out who's doing it,
and if you find out, confront them, like a man.

Old 12-03-2013, 08:44 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,431,040 times
The fact that the supervisor has access to the till throughout the day, yet isnt responsible for the end shortage, means that they could in fact rob the till and make you pay for it as they are your boss. This is a controllership failure. Find another job.

Old 12-03-2013, 08:46 AM

2 posts, read 4,759 times
I've asked my manager and supervisor about it and the answer I gave you is the answer they gave me. If it's short, the person assigned the till is responsible.

Niagara Falls boys, check the jobs. if you can find me one let me know.

Old 12-03-2013, 08:55 AM

2,754 posts, read 7,428,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgerman View Post
I've asked my manager and supervisor about it and the answer I gave you is the answer they gave me. If it's short, the person assigned the till is responsible.

Niagara Falls boys, check the jobs. if you can find me one let me know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgerman View Post
Some nights my till ends up being $20-$50 short.

My work makes it clear that the person that is assigned the till is responsible and has to pay the lost money.
You'd rather pay up money you don't owe than find another job? If you found that job, you can find another.

Old 12-03-2013, 08:57 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,431,040 times
You may have a case to actually sue them then if you are being forced to pay the shortage, yet have no authority over the team. That is literally the shizziest policy Ive heard of in some time. The proper controls over a register are as follows.

Clerk works their hours > turns till over to supervisor who tallies the till > Supervisor hands till over to next clerk.

Thats it, no "open all day tills that the most experienced person is responsible for paying shortages for."

Old 12-03-2013, 09:01 AM

2,798 posts, read 2,679,444 times
That is just a bad way to handle money. I would go find another job.
I am NOT going to be responsible for money in a drawer that has up to seven hands in it.
If it's my till, I count it, coming in, and count it going out, and nobody but me touches it for the whole shift.
Period, end of story.

Old 12-03-2013, 10:33 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,736,641 times
This thread (and there are a couple similar created by the same author) will likely give you a bunch of good information and particularly since the author is also in Canada:

What the heck do I do?? Cash register missing $200!!!!

You have a poor system in place which needs to be taken up with management.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment