Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 04:29 PM

382 posts, read 664,383 times

Advertisements

I'd say mention it but put a positive twist on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2013, 05:33 PM

29,823 posts, read 24,913,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parried View Post
Maybe one day if I find myself going to an interview I just might disclose it. I'm not sure when would be a good time to say it though, without sabotaging the whole interview. There are many people with different disabilities that choose not to disclose them, it's not like this is exclusive to aspergers or anything, and it can work out the same way. It is a real problem though, and that's why I've said before on other threads things like the ADA and so called discrimination laws mean nothing in the real world.

Even if it happened and I had proof, I doubt the ACLU would do anything for me. I'd probably just be one of the many cases.
How would you prove that a company did not hire you because of your disability? Employers decide not to hire hundreds of workers a day, most of which do not have a disability. I'm not saying employers don't discriminate based on disabilities, but in many professions, those disabilities completely prevent workers from effectively functioning on that particular job. You can't hire someone in a wheel chair to drive nails into shingles. Yes, the company technically discriminates, but if they hired them, could the worker do the work??? What type of reasonable accommodations would you demand the company makes?

I believe you should disclose your disability at least for a short period of time. What you have been doing has produced ZERO results. How much worse could things get by disclosing this disability?

When I worked with mentally retarded people in my county, many of the higher functioning adults had jobs. These were very basic, simple jobs, but some of the people were even able to contribute towards their rental and food expenses. If they can do it, I'm sure you are capable of obtaining some form of work. Unfortunately, you have deeply rooted barriers which likely effect your motivation, energy and outlook. Ever hear of the term "self fulfilling prophecy"?

More than anything, I believe you need to see either a counselor or a doctor. Perhaps you need some form of medication for depression, ADHD, or whatever. You really need to talk to someone who is in a position to help you. Complaining on this forum may give you a chance to vent, but it clearly is not helping your long term prospects.

Old 07-21-2013, 06:29 AM

1,923 posts, read 2,410,613 times
I would have been happy with a grocery store job like everyone else gets but I couldn't get one. In october I will be going back to vocrehab, but last time they weren't too much help for me. Another thing alot of people don't understand is that I want to be completely self-sufficient. I don't want to have to depend on SSI at all. All I want is a job.

I would like to know why it is that I'm being excluded from the low paying jobs. It seems that it goes nowhere after filling out the application, whilst it takes off for others. If it's to the point where I'm not even given some kind of email or phone call for an interview or 'no thanks' then I don't see how I'd be able to get better jobs. The bottom line is, something is wrong, and you know what? Some of it is me.

But alot of it is also not me.

Old 07-21-2013, 08:14 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
Quote:
Even the experts say not to reveal your disability to an employer if it's not going to interfere with you doing the job.
What "experts"?

What I find incredibly depressing (not to mention extremely irritating) about your comments is that whatever anyone says you have a negative comeback and a, "well that doesn't work" attitude; and yet you seem totally oblivious and always refute that this omnipresent attitude doesn't come through to prospective employers. And please don't repeat that interminable, "I never get interviews anyway so how can it come through" mantra.

It's been said before and obviously is just a stupid head-banging exercise to repeat it but you DO need professional help both psychological and physiological and as long as you keep up with the interminable list of excuses you're going to be posting the same things here way into your nineties.

Old 07-21-2013, 10:31 AM

2,702 posts, read 2,766,167 times
Quote:
I would have been happy with a grocery store job like everyone else gets but I couldn't get one. In october I will be going back to vocrehab, but last time they weren't too much help for me. Another thing alot of people don't understand is that I want to be completely self-sufficient. I don't want to have to depend on SSI at all. All I want is a job.

I would like to know why it is that I'm being excluded from the low paying jobs. It seems that it goes nowhere after filling out the application, whilst it takes off for others. If it's to the point where I'm not even given some kind of email or phone call for an interview or 'no thanks' then I don't see how I'd be able to get better jobs. The bottom line is, something is wrong, and you know what? Some of it is me.

If there's one thing I learned in this job market, its that you can't wait for phone calls to just come. You have to get out there on your own. Do you have a Workforce One (or some career center) in your area? I would go there and start applying for jobs, speak to someone...etc.

Also, look over your resume and see if there's things that could be changed, etc. I mean, something has to give.

Also...you need to be more positive. I know its very difficult to do that but when you are depressed like that, it works against you.

Old 07-21-2013, 10:33 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
Quote:

The problem with not being dependent on SSI are the jobs available. Most of the jobs available do not pay enough to be self-sufficient. Most jobs created are part-time (why, many think it's Obamacare) and most are minimum wage if not just a little over (why, competition for these jobs.) These two factors do not help. Unless you can land a $10/12 an hour job, you are likely not going to get a job you can be self-sufficient on.

Old 07-21-2013, 10:47 AM

1,923 posts, read 2,410,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deposite View Post
If there's one thing I learned in this job market, its that you can't wait for phone calls to just come. You have to get out there on your own. Do you have a Workforce One (or some career center) in your area? I would go there and start applying for jobs, speak to someone...etc.

Also, look over your resume and see if there's things that could be changed, etc. I mean, something has to give.

Also...you need to be more positive. I know its very difficult to do that but when you are depressed like that, it works against you.
We do have one. Back in 2010 I registered with them but it wasn't really that special. It's not like you could just go there and they would hook you up with a job. They used to have a weekly list of jobs on paper that were hiring and what you would do is write down the code number, go on a website and apply for it. But since then they've gone through changes, they are in a different location, and they no longer do stuff in person except if you want to apply for unemployment. Now instead of having the bulletin board type stuff it's all online. I don't need to go there to use a computer to apply for jobs. I can do that right here. Of course there's also snagajob and all the other sites.

As far as jobs not paying enough, I really don't care to be honest. Even if I only got minimum wage it's better then nothing and it's better then being supported by taxpayers. I don't know, I guess I just have a different view on SSI and welfare programs then other people. I just see them as a temporary thing, not something to live on for the rest of your life. Being on SSI has degraded me. I feel very, very degraded. Probably because I've always had a very strong conscience. I also have strong morals I have to stay loyal to.

Old 07-21-2013, 10:55 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Most of the jobs available do not pay enough to be self-sufficient.
So you get two jobs. Thousands upon thousands (probably millions) of people through the country work two jobs to keep their heads above water and that roof over their heads.

Old 07-21-2013, 11:43 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
So you get two jobs. Thousands upon thousands (probably millions) of people through the country work two jobs to keep their heads above water and that roof over their heads.
And how many jobs allow you to have a second job, even when only working under 30 hours in one that wants you to be "fully available."

Old 07-21-2013, 11:44 AM

810 posts, read 1,808,511 times
I'm one of those people who avoids sales jobs like the plague. When I graduated from college, and put my resume on the university's job board, almost every single call I got from somebody that I did not pursue was from a company looking for sales reps. For amusement, even though I knew that they were probably just cold calling for hits, I would always ask the recruiter what about my resume specifically stood out for them to call me. Almost every rep would get absolutely stumped, or reply with the "you are a college-educated prospect" (uh, as is everyone else who posts their resume on the school's board?) Back as a recent graduate with little experience, I wasn't inflated enough to believe that those people who were calling wanted me because I was exceptional in some way. I was wary of anybody who would call me first.

You're not going to attract as many people with a commission-model. People want stability, and sales job simply don't have that, especially in a down economy when not many people are buying. Furthermore, I find that sales recruiters tend to calculate "average" earnings as optimistically as possible, while glossing over high turnover rates and people who simply fail through no fault of their own. It reminds me of law schools that tout these high average salaries for graduates, but what they don't mention is that the relatively few graduates who earn extremely high salaries inflate those averages. Also, a lot of sales jobs require a lot of investment from the "employee" (if they're even called that, for most they're just contractors.) You have to deal with wear-and-tear on your own car, you probably have to pay for your own company phone or computer, and one company wanted me to pay rent on a cubicle to work out of. Are you kidding me?

Plus, as you said, there are more shady sales jobs that are nothing more than glorified MLM models than not. The industry really has nobody to blame but themselves. Many job seekers, myself included, have been burned by these companies or at best, had a lot of time wasted through interviews or "ride alongs." You have to find some way to stand your company out from the rest of the mess that's out there. Putting "Absolutely NOT an MLM company" won't cut it, and that would probably make a reader even more suspicious.

True, the "no jobs" claim is a myth when taken literally, but it would be more appropriate to say "there are fewer GOOD jobs out there." Most of the job growth we have seen for the past couple years have been in the retail and hospitality sectors, which are fields that are plagued by low wages and part time work. It's not a problem when, say, a teenager fresh out of high school works there, but it becomes a huge concern when people with degrees and credentials are forced to compete for those low skill jobs. I don't think we have so much of an unemployment crisis, but rather an underemployment problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment