Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 06:00 PM

25 posts, read 20,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Cool. Have a nice life

In all seriousness, there are smart people without degrees, many of whom posses solid skills that are very much in demand. I know for a fact that many companies up here pay over 100K for their swiss lathe machinists. These guys are responsible for programming machines that spit out hundreds and thousands of pounds of finished or semi finished parts. One mistake and all is for not and company eats the cost. No degree required, but you would be stupid to hire someone ill qualified for the job, or try to skimp on paying a decent wage/salary. Experience in the only way to get in, and very few make the cut, including those who have degrees. In most cases, nobody with a degree is going to work for $10/hr as they get their start in the profession. It's pretty much a guarantee that the guy getting that six figure job is going to be a HS graduate with tons of concentrated experience.

In my profession, it is extremely rare to work with someone who has a degree, unless they are in management or engineering. Same deal, nobody with a degree is going to work for $10/hr as they learn the profession. The smart ones will do quite well after getting some experience though. We are paid well because the work we do is value added, and not just anybody can successfully do the work.

Being a college grad doesn't put you at the front of the line in these occupations because the stuff isn't taught in colleges. Still need smart and hard working people though. You get what you pay for, so companies have to pay something beyond even an average wage sometimes.

And this is a work and employment forum. The vast majority of HS grads earn crap. We all know the wage/salary differential between college grads and HS grads. Guess what??? That guy that served you that burger and shake likely will never post on this forum.

So you do agree college grads make more??

Old 08-16-2013, 06:07 PM

455 posts, read 1,398,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
Earlier you said everybody was a liar that was posting these salaries. There is a difference. There is somebody making 6 figures with no diploma or nobody.

We can look at a survey for example of professionals in the training and development field.
Are you saying 1/4 of these people are lying about their salary?
Seems like he thinks anyone making 6 figures degree or not is lying.

Old 08-16-2013, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Cool. Have a nice life

In all seriousness, there are smart people without degrees, many of whom posses solid skills that are very much in demand. I know for a fact that many companies up here pay over 100K for their swiss lathe machinists. These guys are responsible for programming machines that spit out hundreds and thousands of pounds of finished or semi finished parts. One mistake and all is for not and company eats the cost. No degree required, but you would be stupid to hire someone ill qualified for the job, or try to skimp on paying a decent wage/salary. Experience in the only way to get in, and very few make the cut, including those who have degrees. In most cases, nobody with a degree is going to work for $10/hr as they get their start in the profession. It's pretty much a guarantee that the guy getting that six figure job is going to be a HS graduate with tons of concentrated experience.

In my profession, it is extremely rare to work with someone who has a degree, unless they are in management or engineering. Same deal, nobody with a degree is going to work for $10/hr as they learn the profession. The smart ones will do quite well after getting some experience though. We are paid well because the work we do is value added, and not just anybody can successfully do the work.

Being a college grad doesn't put you at the front of the line in these occupations because the stuff isn't taught in colleges. Still need smart and hard working people though. You get what you pay for, so companies have to pay something beyond even an average wage sometimes.

And this is a work and employment forum. The vast majority of HS grads earn crap. We all know the wage/salary differential between college grads and HS grads. Guess what??? That guy that served you that burger and shake likely will never post on this forum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
Earlier you said everybody was a liar that was posting these salaries. There is a difference. There is somebody making 6 figures with no diploma or nobody.

We can look at a survey for example of professionals in the training and development field.
Are you saying 1/4 of these people are lying about their salary?
Post a link to where you got the table

Old 08-16-2013, 06:27 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,121,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakeranita View Post
Post a link to where you got the table

Here are more liars. 25% of millionaires making 100k/yr are lying about their salary and education.
Who Are America's Millionaires? | Tax Foundation

Old 08-16-2013, 06:49 PM

I just realize aren't college graduates also high school graduates in the sense you can't get one without the other... Holy crap

Old 08-16-2013, 06:52 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,550,908 times
seems to me youre all in the same side of the argument

Old 08-16-2013, 07:18 PM

560 posts, read 1,130,457 times
one of my bestfriend's friends got two jobs from the Veteran Assistance in D.C. and now makes over 70k. He only had a year of school, which he did not finish. And I have applied for jobs in D.C. that pay $20 an hour for GED or HSD. I was taken aback by this but I hoping to get one of these jobs. They are generally government sector too. I hate not getting a trade or office certifications

Old 08-16-2013, 07:23 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,681,771 times
No degrees for me. I have got a first aid certificate (stage 1)

A degree sounds like hard work (of the mental variety ), so I don't think I'd ever bother. I do fine without one.

Old 08-16-2013, 07:27 PM

Gov't. Jobs usually pay quite handsomely without needing extended education much like state and local gov't agencies and contractors too actually. But they are pretty selective of their candidates if I'm not mistaken because they may or may not require a certification or clearance

Old 08-16-2013, 07:33 PM

If I werent going for my degree, D.C and the NOVA area would be my first place of search for employment with only a high school diploma. My friend lives in the D.C metro and they have a high concentration of high paying jobs that only require a H.S diploma. But the catch is you have to have an exceptional skill set. Not to mention maybe a certification or license
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment