Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 03:27 PM

4,222 posts, read 4,749,555 times

Advertisements

Over the past couple of years I have begun to have a problem with jealousy...I don't recall ever feeling this way in the past, at least not for an extended period of time...and DEFINITELY not this often.

Anywho, the most recent example happened today. I have a friend that lives out of state and we have the same type of job...same job title, different companies. I started searching for a job title called a CRA...its the next step above what I do now. My friend has been looking for one since last year.

Anywho, she's 6 years younger than me and super smart. She just got contacted for a CRA job this week through LinkedIn. Why am I super PISSED??? It is the strangest feeling. I feel as if her getting this position first makes her better than me...and the fact that she's younger and I've been working longer than her makes it worse.

(On top of that, she likes to brag, so I'm going to have to hear about how much more money she's making and how she's so proud of the fact that she got this job without knowing someone in the company, etc etc for quite a while...she did this the last promotion she got)

The bigger question is...what is happening to me? Is it possible I'm so miserable in my own life that all of a sudden I've become incapable of being happy for others when they get something they want?? When she IM'ed me about the potential new position, I literally had to 'fake it' and pretend I was happy for her when I wasn't....and quickly signed off. I was literally angry as if someone had done something to me...why am I feeling this way??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2013, 03:51 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,475,290 times
I think it's normal to be envious of someone's good fortune, especially if you're not 100% happy with your own situation. There could be an element of "It's not fair!" or "Why can't I get a great job like this?" or even "Hey, she's supposed to be behind me, not ahead!" And the bragging is insensitive so I think you're entitled to wallow in the jealousy a little bit. But also work hard on improving your job and/or getting a new one. Maybe you can look at your profile/resume vs hers and see what might be missing?

Old 07-31-2013, 04:02 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,551,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
The bigger question is...what is happening to me? Is it possible I'm so miserable in my own life that all of a sudden I've become incapable of being happy for others when they get something they want?? When she IM'ed me about the potential new position, I literally had to 'fake it' and pretend I was happy for her when I wasn't....and quickly signed off. I was literally angry as if someone had done something to me...why am I feeling this way??
I see a lot of these in CD Work and Employment

Old 07-31-2013, 04:10 PM

1,102 posts, read 1,861,385 times
Eh... jealousy happens. I think it's what you do with that emotion is what counts. I don't think the feelings you have make you seem like a "miserable" person. When you're working hard towards something and you see someone get there first, I think it's natural to feel a bit jealous. Maybe this will give you the impetus to make some major moves. CRA as in monitor? What's your position now, CRC? From what I can gather, a lot of would-be CRA's were in QA or a coordinator and just started networking with their monitors/CROs... If I'm way off about this last part, just ignore me

Old 07-31-2013, 05:40 PM

72 posts, read 115,779 times
She got lucky. You haven't been so lucky. That's basically our job market in a nutshell, right now. Right place, right time. As much as the boot-strappers don't want to admit it.

One can hope your luck will come soon. But that is not a given. Keep trying hard, but I wish I could say there was a quantifiable way to ensure that you get as equally good a job. But there isn't.

It's a crapshoot.

Old 07-31-2013, 05:44 PM

4,222 posts, read 4,749,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nifear View Post
Eh... jealousy happens. I think it's what you do with that emotion is what counts. I don't think the feelings you have make you seem like a "miserable" person. When you're working hard towards something and you see someone get there first, I think it's natural to feel a bit jealous. Maybe this will give you the impetus to make some major moves. CRA as in monitor? What's your position now, CRC? From what I can gather, a lot of would-be CRA's were in QA or a coordinator and just started networking with their monitors/CROs... If I'm way off about this last part, just ignore me
Yes, I'm a CRC...

Old 07-31-2013, 05:50 PM

4,003 posts, read 6,103,368 times
Quote:
Over the past couple of years I have begun to have a problem with jealousy...I don't recall ever feeling this way in the past, at least not for an extended period of time...and DEFINITELY not this often.

Anywho, the most recent example happened today. I have a friend that lives out of state and we have the same type of job...same job title, different companies. I started searching for a job title called a CRA...its the next step above what I do now. My friend has been looking for one since last year.

Anywho, she's 6 years younger than me and super smart. She just got contacted for a CRA job this week through LinkedIn. Why am I super PISSED??? It is the strangest feeling. I feel as if her getting this position first makes her better than me...and the fact that she's younger and I've been working longer than her makes it worse.

(On top of that, she likes to brag, so I'm going to have to hear about how much more money she's making and how she's so proud of the fact that she got this job without knowing someone in the company, etc etc for quite a while...she did this the last promotion she got)

easier said than done but you realy can't be concerned about others. i have a sister who is 4 years younger than me who makes way more money than i do and has a much better job than i do.its funny cuz at times i've been jealous of her however at the same time i know i would be miserable doing her job and would not want to put in the hours she puts in so how can i really be mad about that?

your situation is a little different in that you and your friend apparently have essentially the same job inthe same industyr so its more tempting to make the comparison betwene you and him/her.

try to thin of it as a positive thing though your friend is having success and that should make you happy. also look at it this way, if your friend has a better job paying more maybe they can help get you an inn at tat company if your looking to make more money and work for that company

Old 07-31-2013, 06:34 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,123,953 times
It's a perfectly normal feeling. The feelings will pass. There are posts every day in these forums with the same sentiment.

Last edited by move4ward; 07-31-2013 at 07:10 PM..

Old 07-31-2013, 06:42 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,391,094 times
First of all, I would stop calling yourself a "friend."
Friends are elevated and enjoy seeing things come to those they love.

Next, I do think you are ahead of the curve. Most people would not have the insight to realize that unhappiness derived from the joy of others tends to come from an unhappiness within themselves.

Her getting the job says nothing bad about you. Focus on what is great in your life and avoid making comparisons. Especially with people you love.

Old 07-31-2013, 07:06 PM

445 posts, read 865,060 times
Quote:

Correction: "they" should be "I". And the answer is yes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment