Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 10:23 AM

2,341 posts, read 3,497,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyAndRugby View Post
So the ones who did not get the job should waste their time?

It is a two way street. If people make time to go to an interview and spend money on gas to get there, they deserve an answer about why they were not hired.
The 99 do not deserve anything from the employer.

The 99 should be thankful that the employer
spent there time and money giving them an interview ... nothing more ! ! !

If the 99 don't want to waste there time they can stay at home,
where they can do without ! ! !

Just waiting till they lose everything ! ! !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2013, 10:25 AM

341 posts, read 675,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyAndRugby View Post
So the ones who did not get the job should waste their time?

It is a two way street. If people make time to go to an interview and spend money on gas to get there, they deserve an answer about why they were not hired.
Yep. They deserve the opportunity to grow by knowing why they weren't the best candidate and exactly how they can become that next candidate on the next go-round.

Old 08-04-2013, 10:34 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,585,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parried View Post
It's not easy to get any job right now and hasn't been for sometime. You can't get hired off the street anymore. In fact just the other day RT news showed a study that low paying jobs are no longer a stepping stone, but a career choice. A poverty career choice.
Welcome to the new "normal". This is change we can believe in.

Old 08-04-2013, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrviking View Post
Welcome to the new "normal". This is change we can believe in.
I don't want to get political, but sadly this is the case. I think a lot of younger people know that and that's why they're very selective on taking that first job. It used to be just a stepping stone, now that job could very well be the first shovel full of dirt to a grave.

Old 08-04-2013, 11:03 AM

788 posts, read 1,249,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpus7 View Post
The 99 do not deserve anything from the employer.

The 99 should be thankful that the employer
spent there time and money giving them an interview ... nothing more ! ! !

If the 99 don't want to waste there time they can stay at home,
where they can do without ! ! !

Just waiting till they lose everything ! ! !
Wow, what a wonderful attitude. Let me guess, those people who don't have jobs and get treated like **** by people like you are probably to blame for the crisis too?

Aside from the disgusting metality, it also shows tremendous stupidity. If an employer invited 100 people for an interview, he should be more selective in his invitations.

Old 08-04-2013, 11:05 AM

7,474 posts, read 7,034,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpus7 View Post
An employer will interview 100 people and pick just one employee
that best fits there need, and they will not waste their time
notifying the 99 they did not want.
Because an automated email response with a bit of honesty takes soooo much time...

Old 08-04-2013, 11:13 AM

2,341 posts, read 3,497,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
Because an automated email response with a bit of honesty takes soooo much time...
For 99 people who did not make the grade because
of 99 different reasons ... yes it takes up to much time.

If you don't hear from them your not hired so go some where else.

The employer has other thing to do not instruct people
how to give a resume or tell you how to improve on your answers
and conduct and education needs.

Old 08-04-2013, 11:31 AM

788 posts, read 1,249,221 times
What a wonderful attitude bumpus7. Of course, we can't blame an employer for inviting 100 people. Of course not. And we also cannot expect him for to spot the right candidate just from the letter.

Oh nooooo, the only to blame is the candidate.

Old 08-04-2013, 11:34 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,748,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parried View Post
It's not easy to get any job right now and hasn't been for sometime. You can't get hired off the street anymore. In fact just the other day RT news showed a study that low paying jobs are no longer a stepping stone, but a career choice. A poverty career choice.
My grandfather came of age in the great depression, and while he passed on a few years ago, he often told stories of what he went through starting work at the age of 10. He worked at a gas station, drove a truck, worked on a cotton farm, swept a warehouse, cleaned hotel rooms, painted houses, worked as an orderly in a hospital, washed dishes, was a shoe shine boy in a nice hotel, and worked as a paper boy. All while living in 6 different states as his father moved around trying to find work himself. This was before WW2 started, which he volunteered for at the age of 20.

The difference between his generation and this current generation, is that back then there was no social safety net, and when the programs started many people had way to much pride to take the money. They moved, did jobs they would have never considered doing, and put up with conditions that would destroy most of us, just to get everything they had. I run into people that tell me how horrible the job market is where I live, and honestly it does suck, even retail jobs require college degrees, yet oil and gas companies with yards within 45 minutes away are traveling the country hiring people to work for them both in Colorado and North dakota. They give them schedules that allow them to travel back and forth to their homes, and pay for housing and transportation while they are on site. Another friend of mine own an HVAC company, he runs 3 crews full crews, which he pays well, the problem is that he has a major problem finding apprentice type guys, you know the guys who run for the parts, crawl into the crawl space to help pull the pipes and wiring, and learn the business from the basics, he gets plenty to apply and show up for about a week, then many quit when they figure out how hard the work is.

Old 08-04-2013, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiley View Post
My grandfather came of age in the great depression, and while he passed on a few years ago, he often told stories of what he went through starting work at the age of 10. He worked at a gas station, drove a truck, worked on a cotton farm, swept a warehouse, cleaned hotel rooms, painted houses, worked as an orderly in a hospital, washed dishes, was a shoe shine boy in a nice hotel, and worked as a paper boy. All while living in 6 different states as his father moved around trying to find work himself. This was before WW2 started, which he volunteered for at the age of 20.

The difference between his generation and this current generation, is that back then there was no social safety net, and when the programs started many people had way to much pride to take the money. They moved, did jobs they would have never considered doing, and put up with conditions that would destroy most of us, just to get everything they had. I run into people that tell me how horrible the job market is where I live, and honestly it does suck, even retail jobs require college degrees, yet oil and gas companies with yards within 45 minutes away are traveling the country hiring people to work for them both in Colorado and North dakota. They give them schedules that allow them to travel back and forth to their homes, and pay for housing and transportation while they are on site. Another friend of mine own an HVAC company, he runs 3 crews full crews, which he pays well, the problem is that he has a major problem finding apprentice type guys, you know the guys who run for the parts, crawl into the crawl space to help pull the pipes and wiring, and learn the business from the basics, he gets plenty to apply and show up for about a week, then many quit when they figure out how hard the work is.
I don't know if anyone is arguing about finding a job digging a hole being difficult, I think people are talking about jobs where their degree is useful. Jobs that people went to school for so that they wouldn't be in freezing weather outside running connections on a platform.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment