Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 02:22 PM

9,527 posts, read 30,483,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
I stayed in my first job 23 years. I'd still be there except for the bosses son. A royal jerk if ever there was one. It got so bad the Board of Directors asked him to leave. I was already gone.

So, no, my view is certainly not one-sided.
Do you honestly think that is typical even among the current crop of baby boomers? Most people today have not held their jobs even ten years! I think about staying at the average job for 20 years, and I just think of missed opportunities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2007, 02:28 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,711,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
I am 46 -- whatever group that puts me in, but tend to see this as more of mindset thing than anything else. Sometimes I am working my own projects and have both older folks and kids, and sometimes for others (W2, as it were). So I see both sides, and I am with the "kids," on this stuff. Saw the show and thought it was the employers who were the whiners. The people you hire are a part of management work. If you cannot manage them, who is falling down in that?

Does anyone think the company would keep people who did not meet expectations? They would be on the street, yesterday. The kids are just holding the companies to the same standard. Under the present US business model, the people working in a company are likely to outlive the company -- it is the companies who have made themselves disposable.
Having read your interpretation: I have to agree. I do forget that businesses are changing constantly. Not always for the best.

Good post.

Old 11-13-2007, 02:34 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,711,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
Do you honestly think that is typical even among the current crop of baby boomers? Most people today have not held their jobs even ten years! I think about staying at the average job for 20 years, and I just think of missed opportunities.
I will say that you are most likely going to do well in your life because you are adapting to the changes you see around you. Something I didn't have to do as often because of a different business climate.

Some of the difference we see is, I think, location: you are in SoCal, I'm in the Midwest. While things are changing here, I don't think it's changing as fast. Demand for IT is just starting to make a comeback here, whereas it started there much sooner.

Missed opportunities: When I started working with computers there weren't that many to be had, let alone miss. The time's they are a changin'.

Old 11-13-2007, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Some of the difference we see is, I think, location: you are in SoCal, I'm in the Midwest. While things are changing here, I don't think it's changing as fast. Demand for IT is just starting to make a comeback here, whereas it started there much sooner.
I agree, a lot of it has to do with the availability of venture capital which means companies are always forming and dissolving. I work for a large, stable corp now, and while I intend to stay put for the long haul, I have no expectation about any tenure here - if the economy goes south or the stock price tanks, I am gone.

Old 11-13-2007, 08:10 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,470,206 times
I saw the 60 Minutes thing. I don't get the party atmosphere being a necessity in the workplace for this new generation. Who wants to play dress up at work and dance around? Can't we just focus on work, get it done faster without all the silly distractions? What's the point of all that? I don't consider co-workers to be family. My family is my family and I would rather work, get it done, and go home to my family.

Reminds me of the dot.com boom when folks got paid a ton to sit around and play pinball and pontificate on life all day long. At some point, work has to be produced.

I'm in the legal field. Perhaps we are old school. But I know on the days when there are small extracurricular things going on like the monthly birthday celebration, I don't get as much work done.

I wonder what the End Game is. Ya know, when they are all of a sudden 35, newly married, baby on the way, and they realize they need some stability in their lives.

Old 11-13-2007, 08:14 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,664,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
I saw the 60 Minutes thing. I don't get the party atmosphere being a necessity in the workplace for this new generation. Who wants to play dress up at work and dance around? Can't we just focus on work, get it done faster without all the silly distractions? What's the point of all that? I don't consider co-workers to be family. My family is my family and I would rather work, get it done, and go home to my family.

Reminds me of the dot.com boom when folks got paid a ton to sit around and play pinball and pontificate on life all day long. At some point, work has to be produced.

I'm in the legal field. Perhaps we are old school. But I know on the days when there are small extracurricular things going on like the monthly birthday celebration, I don't get as much work done.

I wonder what the End Game is. Ya know, when they are all of a sudden 35, newly married, baby on the way, and they realize they need some stability in their lives.
There is no end game because there is no game. Not for this generation. They aren't having children. Children are way too much of a drain on disposable income. Also, this generation has clearly seen how financially impossible children are becoming, and they don't intend to try and set it aright.

Old 11-13-2007, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
There is no end game because there is no game. Not for this generation. They aren't having children. Children are way too much of a drain on disposable income. Also, this generation has clearly seen how financially impossible children are becoming, and they don't intend to try and set it aright.
The end game is a bunch of single, permanent renters addicted to cheap consumer electronics, expensive clothing, drinking, and expensive chinese crap they don't need. They never invested, never saved, and never sacrificed.

By the time they are 40 they will be either full-blown alcoholics or will realize they just pissed away 20 years on Grey Goose and clubbing and move back in to the house mom n' dad just passed away in.

Personally I'm not worried, because it just means I will steamroll them in the workplace. Anyway - almost everyone I work with over 30 has kids already, I predict it's only a matter of time before the Millenials become jealous of the houses, babies, and stability of the rest of us.

Old 11-14-2007, 07:21 AM

13,651 posts, read 20,783,612 times
Quote:
Spot on!

Old 11-14-2007, 09:14 PM
dgz

806 posts, read 3,393,832 times
Quote:
I stayed in my first job 23 years. I'd still be there except for the bosses son. A royal jerk if ever there was one. It got so bad the Board of Directors asked him to leave. I was already gone.

So, no, my view is certainly not one-sided.
Most of the places I've worked are constantly reorganizing or laying people off. Most people I know, including myself, couldn't stay at a job for more than 6-7 years if we wanted to. Perhaps I'm in the wrong industries... but these are largely with technology companies, pharmaceutical companies, defense companies, mortgage and loan companies, etc.

Then, to survive and succeed amidst all this moving around, you have to maintain a competitive skill set. I would think it would be difficult for someone to build this skills set working in the same job for 20+ years. Businesses have communicated to employees that they are disposable tools, and employees have responded by treating companies the same way. A company always looks at an employee and asks: How can I get more out of this resource than I put into it? Is it any surprise that the employee is looking at the company in the same way? Isn't that what the free market is all about?

Old 11-14-2007, 09:21 PM
dgz

806 posts, read 3,393,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
Same here! If I had been in that office with the party, I would rather have skipped the party and just left an hour early. Having a party for an hour in the middle of the day isn't really 'free time' if you're not the one defining how you want to spend it. I would rather just get in, work, and leave. I'm not married with children, but I have friends, acquaintances, and lots of activities that I'm involved in. I like my co-workers/colleagues, but I don't want to spend a lot of time hanging out there. What goes on at work is separate from my real life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment