Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2013, 08:58 AM

414 posts, read 1,020,278 times

Advertisements

The Best Response For When Anyone Calls Young People Lazy Today

Here's a fun response to this complaint.

Not that we don't have our own problems, but pretending like graduating into a recession caused by another generation is somehow our fault is a bit short-sighted.

That said, I do hate Twitter and online narcissism. But let's be real, that would've happened no matter what generation that technology was introduced in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2013, 11:42 AM

7,927 posts, read 7,820,807 times
Remember the medium is the message. If you remember the 1960's you should remember that book.

Regardless the issue with generations frankly rings true of the past. You have to prove your organization is relevant.

You have to hire young people. Otherwise your organization dies.

I know of a restaurant that has been in business for 50 years. They are closing at the end of this year. Are there problems with the food? Nope...the food is great. Problems with staff? Nope...

It's a problem with time. At any point the YOUNGEST person in there is 65 years old. What's new on the menu? Nothing..what was new last year..nothing. What was new ten years ago, twenty...nothing. Do they have a trivia night? Nope. Promotions for the sports events (superbowl, world series etc?) nope..and this is the Boston area we've had championships for the past 13 or so years.

Life isn't about things being tough or weak or "dumbing down". One could make an argument that the elderly are also being dumbed down.

If someone asks for a wide range of requirements. 10 to 15 years experience with this, masters for this, some license, a portfolio that's all well and good but how long are you going to get an employee once they are 45 to 50 years old? What incentive is there for someone in their 60's to work since medicare kicks in at 65 and social security at 62 and they could get two years of unemployment?

The CDC now says the highest growth of STD's is with elderly people (CDC NPIN - Communities at Risk - Older Populations) and many news outlets can change the causes of death from drugs to "natural causes" as to not embarrass the families.
Gone Without a Case: Suspicious Elder Deaths Rarely Investigated | Post Mortem | FRONTLINE | PBS

Let's not also forget that the ages that ibginnie states are more likely to have children and therefore that can be more costly as well. Health insurance being the largest factor but also rates of of time. School vacations come to mind immediately.

Old 11-29-2013, 10:59 AM

18 posts, read 233,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbtornado View Post
I hope with your clear hatred of younger generations, that you arent in business hiring people in 10-15 years because with your attitude you'll not have any workers left.
Companies that can't change their model to accommodate the new personalities and needs will go bankrupt. The companies that do, will be light years more efficient and profitable.

Old 11-29-2013, 06:37 PM

3,739 posts, read 4,636,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekkie View Post
Garbage thread created by another insecure Boomer.

Funny how people here are always yelling out that the unemployed and those that question hiring practices are called whiners, yet here you have an entire thread about people whining about millenials.

Old 11-29-2013, 06:44 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,036,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
Anyone catch this tonight?
The "Millennials" Are Coming, Morley Safer On The New Generation Of American Workers - CBS News

An entire generation of coddled, perma-lescent prima donnas is entering the workforce with ridiculous expectations and overbearing parents to back them up.

Personally I've seen this attitude in the workplace, and even among some of my peers (I'm a little older than the people referenced in this article). But my experience has been while these people do often get hired, they don't tend to really go anywhere, because they are tend to be a pain-in-the-butt to management which prevents them from moving up.

The counterpoint I've noticed is that that many baby boomers seem intent on dropping dead in their office, which keeps the truly lucrative management jobs out of the hands of younger people who are as or more capable. This creates an awkward tension between understimulated, underutilized, young workers and struggling, stressed-out boomers. Given that many boomers have another 15-20 years on the job, I don't like the thought of getting to middle management at 50 years old!

I've worked in shops where everyone has "Senior" in their title, which is basically a euphemism for "we want to keep you, but not promote you".
I grow so tired of these generational stereotypes. They are as old as the first tribes of early humans and, while there is always some truth to them, for the most part, the stereotypes mean little and amount to nothing.

The first one is how "spoiled" the younger generations. This complaint usually comes from Baby Boomers who have enjoyed:

1) A steady job or career spanning decades
2) The ability to purchase a house at a reasonable price
3) The ability to purchase a higher education at a reasonable price
4) The ability to enjoy at least some years of affordable medical care

These are HUGE advantages that the Baby Boomers have enjoyed as they got to reap the benefits of "back in the day" when America actually had a growing and healthy middle class. So, now their kids come along, buried under debt, and when they expect all that hard work to pay off, they get called "entitled!" It's a sick joke - the Boomers got the lucky draw and have NO right to call anyone else entitled... in fact, as one of the younger generation, I'd like them to explain how their choice to squander the wealth of several generations is not the most truly entitled crime committed in many years?

The second BS complaint I get sick of hearing is how "younger kids waste all day on the internet at work." Okay, sure - we're there to work, not goof off, but don't for a moment think goofing off started with the internet. While the young slacker is updating Facebook on company time, the old slacker is: walking around the building, taking a long smoke break, hanging out chatting at the water cooler, reading a newspaper in the bathroom, etc. I work with a pair of grumpy old clowns like this who love to slam the worth ethics of the younger generation, and yet I'm pretty sure they waste on average an hour a day doing next to nothing... they have no right to complain.

Old 11-29-2013, 10:52 PM

3,082 posts, read 5,439,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulone View Post
Funny how people here are always yelling out that the unemployed and those that question hiring practices are called whiners, yet here you have an entire thread about people whining about millenials.
You know, I was thinking that same exact thing.

When Millennials vent about lack of opportunities in today's economy, they are labeled whiners by the older generations. Furthermore, their lack of success is summed up by the Boomers and Gen Xers as a result of entitlement, poor social skills, and lack of personal responsibility.

But here in this thread we have a bunch of whining, moaning Boomers pinning their shortcomings on someone other than themselves. There is so much irony in this thread.

Overall, people are hypocrites, so I get why something like this happens. However, at least it seems that most Millennials have the sense and class to not start a bunch of threads blaming entire generations for their shortcomings. Yes, we may criticize certain predicaments or procedures of the system, but I can't recall the last time I've seen a thread started by a Millennial that labels Boomers or Gen Xers as a bunch of worthless, lazy, good-for-nothing hacks that have ruined the system for them. Quite frankly, I think Millennials have a ton more class than the older generations.

Last edited by Tekkie; 11-29-2013 at 11:02 PM..

Old 11-30-2013, 12:30 AM

29,827 posts, read 24,917,786 times
"Those damn kids today" was not coined in recent years. Every generation has whined about the generation that followed. There are many worthless millennials who will get quite a wake up call in the years to come. Many already received theirs at the hands of a tough economy. Just the same, many boomers wasted their lives and have nothing to show for it. Individual successes and failures say very little about the group as a whole.

Old 11-30-2013, 02:02 AM

1,641 posts, read 2,754,213 times
Here you go, "They are tech savy", from someone who's 100 years old, or someone who doesn't know how to leverage their experience, because they're dying of fear. Hell, I'm tech savy, and there are a lot of older people that I know that's more tech savy than I am, in purest way.

COME ON!

Nothing changes. Guess who actually owns/controls the companies today? Don't let the media control your simple mind.

Do you honestly think, sarcasm and some pop culture reference is going to work in modern day work place? Do you think experience and people relationship will ever be replaced by some snot noised young kid without harsh criticism (that 22 year old guy who does online payment is gonna lose his start up, because everyone hates his DB ways), especially that needs not only the technical skills, but social bonding and intuitive communications from older generation and slightly older generation that understandings what they're talking about? The art of communication is given through experience, and life, and it's not something you can learn.

It's business as usual. Don't fear. Yet, help these kids. The ones who went to get a really good education at Ivy league or top 10 schools tend to have tremendous debt. Even if they become your boss (not me), they'll still barely afford a latte in the morning.

What I fear is that we seem to be so tech driven, I think we're all forgetting humanity in the way. Maybe this is the last phase of mankind, where we get so advanced in technology, and for some reason, we lose power or ability to maintain technology, the world turns into caveman age, and nobody really knows how to do it right to maintain survival (e.g., kill everything one winter, so there is nothing more to hunt the next winter).

my penny worth of though.

Old 11-30-2013, 09:01 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,636,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekkie View Post
You know, I was thinking that same exact thing.

When Millennials vent about lack of opportunities in today's economy, they are labeled whiners by the older generations. Furthermore, their lack of success is summed up by the Boomers and Gen Xers as a result of entitlement, poor social skills, and lack of personal responsibility.

But here in this thread we have a bunch of whining, moaning Boomers pinning their shortcomings on someone other than themselves. There is so much irony in this thread.

Overall, people are hypocrites, so I get why something like this happens. However, at least it seems that most Millennials have the sense and class to not start a bunch of threads blaming entire generations for their shortcomings. Yes, we may criticize certain predicaments or procedures of the system, but I can't recall the last time I've seen a thread started by a Millennial that labels Boomers or Gen Xers as a bunch of worthless, lazy, good-for-nothing hacks that have ruined the system for them. Quite frankly, I think Millennials have a ton more class than the older generations.

So who are the biggest whiners after all? Based on this thread and others we can all see who.

Old 01-29-2015, 04:56 PM

3 posts, read 2,327 times
"That's the issue. Millenials are the first generation to have no loyalty to a company. I find it mildly entertaining to see managers and owners complaining about the exact same behavior they've exuded since the late 80's. These kids saw mom and dad work day and night, missing their baseball games, dance recitals and thanksgiving only to get laid off for no reason. Many saw mom and dad split because of it.
They'll be damned to give a company any more than 9-5 m-f
."

Though I can't say this happened to me personally, I did hear about it a lot growing up and in that way, I took it to heart 100%. To be brutally honest, I'm terrified of entering the working world (and I know I'm not the only one given the number of people my age going back to school to get higher and higher degrees under the guise of it being beneficial to their career, only to accrue more debt because it is a safe place where they actually know how to survive in the system, one of the last places where the game isn't rigged in someone else's favor). If I thought I could afford it financially, I would go back and get my MBA too, and even still I'm tempted to because the job market is dismal. Even for supposedly in-demand skills (design/tech in the San Francisco Bay Area) the jobs still ask for way too much and expect to give back way too little. The cost of living has exploded, and not even minimum wage has kept up with the times, and for most people I know, myself included, a minimum-wage part-time job is all they've been able to get, even with years of additional skills and the debt to match. It is just sad that earning a degree isn't what it used to be, even though it costs over 1000x more now-a-days! I can only hope there is something that can save me and my generation from becoming the last generation, because as I see it, the greed from the previous generations are what is really causing this (I too am holding off/giving up on ever having kids because of the unfathomable costs - I can barely fend for myself let alone another human being!) The only solace we Millenials might find is in the internet and the information age, and if we are lucky more companies will start to adapt to the Google model, because we can't ALL work for only ourselves, and each run our own business.. or can we?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment