Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 06:55 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,175,722 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
If not in a high COL area, it's good. HOWEVER it fairly close to the national average for wages of people with college degrees as well as recent college graduates.
That was my point. Context matters.

Old 08-07-2013, 07:11 PM

896 posts, read 1,178,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
And, of course, since you fought to give her a bonus you'll look like a fool if you need to fire her.
I don't care about looking like a fool. Looking like a fool every now and again is a part of my job. I can't let my ego get in the way, I can't pretend to be perfect if I want to succeed.

Old 08-07-2013, 07:13 PM

896 posts, read 1,178,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
My point is that you were wrong about BFAs being easy degrees. That isn't always the case and the fact that you think that is concerning. You're the one who brought importance to her degree. If it's irrelevant, why even bring it up? The person who promoted you appears to have made a poor choice in choosing a manager.
I don't care about BFAs nor how other people perceive them including you. Arguing with you about that is a waste of my free time.

that said, since you hired a 25 year old BFA grad for a six figure job, why don't you hire my employee? I don't hate her and wish her the best, so maybe you are her ticket to the gravy train you think she deserves. What is this specific job that pays so well?

Last edited by GraciousVox; 08-07-2013 at 07:29 PM..

Old 08-07-2013, 11:58 PM

2,429 posts, read 4,027,340 times
Quote:
[Quote:Originally Posted by NJBest

My point is that you were wrong about BFAs being easy degrees. That isn't always the case and the fact that you think that is concerning. You're the one who brought importance to her degree. If it's irrelevant, why even bring it up? The person who promoted you appears to have made a poor choice in choosing a manager.
Quote:
I don't care about BFAs nor how other people perceive them including you.
I think it's a valid point. If you don't care about BFAs why'd you mention it?
You seem to have an attitude because several responses don't agree with you and how you're handling the situation.
(I already presume you'll disagree with my last comment.)

Old 08-08-2013, 06:44 AM

3,082 posts, read 5,442,937 times
It might be that the OP is dealing with a lazy, entitled person. They definitely DO exist. And if that is the case, then OP should definitely terminate this individual's employment, especially if they are not fulfilling their end of the deal.

However, the OP has made the mistake of placing so much emphasis on the value of said person's degree and age when in fact that is not a real issue here as it can be proven invalid by many successful LA grads who contribute to this forum. If not for that, OP wouldn't appear to have sour grapes. OP could have simply presented this issue as "Subordinate/employee feels entitled to more pay without contributing more to earn it". Perhaps if OP presented her case that way, she would have far more sympathizers. When I initially read this thread, the impression I got was that OP was trying to create another troll thread about how worthless some degrees are and how entitled college grads are. Frankly, I'm tired of reading about that.

Last edited by Tekkie; 08-08-2013 at 07:06 AM..

Old 08-08-2013, 10:15 AM

2,429 posts, read 4,027,340 times
Perhaps I've missed it and if I have I apologize. OP have you informed the employee her performance is an issue? Not her attitude or her desire for a raise, but her performance. I mean an actual evaluation. Do you plan to give her REALISTIC goals, and time frames to get certain work done?

Also just curious have you ever actually done her job?

Old 08-08-2013, 11:08 AM

600 posts, read 755,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Chicago is actually running at a worse ratio for employees than the US overall. I doubt it will improve up there.
[/b]
Why? What's wrong with Chicago's labor market and why don't you think it will improve there?

Old 08-08-2013, 11:38 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,991,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tankhead View Post
Why? What's wrong with Chicago's labor market and why don't you think it will improve there?
Because it is not showing any signs of improvement yet, and already dozens of states have shown improvement. Il is not a business-friendly state, the gains the last 2 years have almost exclusively been in states that rank as those more friendly to business.

Old 08-08-2013, 12:54 PM

192 posts, read 324,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
Public safety GIS. I handle a lot of tasks: analysis, production mapping, database design and maintenance, web mapping backend and frontend, programming in a few languages. Tons of spatial modeling, and someone this has all bled over into handling a lot of social media work too (since makes make pretty pictures, and I have an adobe background from my cartographic work, even though I use gimp for everything now).
I also write publications for our department and teach a lot of courses across several states.
Thanks for the response!

Ah, I do GIS part time for my organization also. Unfortunately, I do not know any programing languages, so when it comes to finding full time employment in the field, I am rather hindered.

Old 08-08-2013, 12:58 PM

115 posts, read 158,440 times
The age is just an approximation for experience and education. At her experience and education, in most markets, she would be vastly overpaid. However, 95% of markets are completely irrelevant when comparing to NYC. In "most" markets you can get a fairly nice apartment for a grand per month. In NYC you can get a hole to **** in. I don't know the wage rate well enough there to know if she is getting over paid, under paid, or just right. I would've said overpaid, until I heard it was in NYC, which completely changed things. In NYC or SF, that may be very reasonable for her experience level.

Of course, her individual skills need to be taken into account. Everyone thinks they are awesome, but few of them are productive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment