Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 06:28 AM

901 posts, read 2,249,180 times

Advertisements

Does that even exist anymore?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2013, 06:44 AM

29,823 posts, read 24,913,395 times
Most are shocked to hear, but machinists are getting very difficult to find, especially since so many are nearing retirement age. What's even more difficult to find are the specialized ones who program high production, and ultra modern equipment that many companies are looking to get into. They buy these expensive machines, attracted to their high productive capacity, only to find there are very few guys around who know how to program, set up and run them, and they all expect $35/hr at the higher end of the skill level. Some will train, but in a year, these guys usually jump ship for better money, so the company faces a brick wall. Another problem is finding people with a brain worth training, because they sure aren't flocking to this occupation.

I've worked on grinders (surface, wet grinders, centerless, double disk), mills (Haas, prototrak, EZtrak), swiss lathes (stars, tornos and citizen), EDM machines (hole poppers, sinkers) and could have a job tomorrow if I lost mine today. Hardest part is getting all the experience required because most companies pigeonhole their newer guys. Jumping ship actually works to your advantage in this occupation.

There are tons of jobs in the Chicagoland area, and they tend to stay open for a very long time.

Old 08-07-2013, 07:17 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,050,479 times
You do not need demand to outweigh supply. After all, you only need one job.

Skilled power plant operators are in demand. I know one person who just graduated from a community college who was offered a job at $37/hour.

Ships officers are in demand as well. From engine room mechanics to navigators and captains, employers are snapping up anybody with a credential for great starting pay.

Old 08-07-2013, 07:52 AM

901 posts, read 2,249,180 times
[quote=fishbrains;30850923]You do not need demand to outweigh supply. After all, you only need one job.

True of course but its common now for most job openings get 100+ resumes for that one position. I'm not looking for this.

Old 08-07-2013, 08:42 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
There is a shortage of airline pilots, who are forced to retire at a fairly early age. The farmers are unable to get enough workers to harvest their crops, and even the builders are having trouble finding enough laborers since many found other work when construction stopped in 2008. If you look at the number of foreign employees being brought in recently, there would appear to be software and engineering shortages, but that's more likely due to the quality of education in other countries.

Old 08-07-2013, 09:06 AM

23,540 posts, read 24,041,250 times
There are a lot of IT fields (software developers) which are in short supply. It would also depend on the location geographically also.

Old 08-07-2013, 09:39 AM

3,339 posts, read 5,990,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Most are shocked to hear, but machinists are getting very difficult to find, especially since so many are nearing retirement age. What's even more difficult to find are the specialized ones who program high production, and ultra modern equipment that many companies are looking to get into. They buy these expensive machines, attracted to their high productive capacity, only to find there are very few guys around who know how to program, set up and run them, and they all expect $35/hr at the higher end of the skill level. Some will train, but in a year, these guys usually jump ship for better money, so the company faces a brick wall. Another problem is finding people with a brain worth training, because they sure aren't flocking to this occupation.
I'm not surprised by this because, the reality is that most companies don't want to pay a machinist $35/hour. That is the real issue; if the companies were willing to pay they would not have trouble finding people. They aren't willing to pay people very well though.

Old 08-07-2013, 10:00 AM

29,823 posts, read 24,913,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitakolata View Post
I'm not surprised by this because, the reality is that most companies don't want to pay a machinist $35/hour. That is the real issue; if the companies were willing to pay they would not have trouble finding people. They aren't willing to pay people very well though.
The old logic dictates that the engineer is the brains, and the machinist is the workhorse. That might have been true before all of this fancy, high performance machinery and cutting edge software, but it's anything but true today. If I'm the programmer in charge of planning cutting operations on 50,000 widgets, and I can shave 6 seconds off the cycle time per part, I've just saved my company 83 hours of work, wages, and machine time. That is 83 more hours of available machine time for the company to make money.

The smart business owners are waking up, because the rules of the game have changed dramatically. They may not want to pay the money, but they don't want to lose their millions of invested dollars because they can't find people to run them either. Problem for folks in the trade is how to acquire the experience and expertise to command $35/hr. Yea, the wages are low for the guy running a bridgeport, but that's because it's a terribly unproductive machine comparatively speaking, but suitable for one offs and protyping simple stuff. There's faster ways to get stuff done, and those companies make more money and can afford to pay for better talent.

Old 08-07-2013, 10:01 AM

10,137 posts, read 17,484,012 times
Some would say healthcare, nursing, but then you have threads I graduated and can't find a nursing job.

Old 08-07-2013, 10:12 AM

15,799 posts, read 20,513,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
I deal with machine shops all the time and get asked if i know any CNC programers (G code). Seems it's tough to find guys who can program and set up the machines.

It's not an easy skill to learn and requires training and experience. I've had to learn it to run one of my machines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment