Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 11:34 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,256,347 times

Advertisements

I am getting ready to graduate with an IT degree this December. Somebody said Dallas is great for IT work. I have sent my resume to many places in Dallas and have yet to recieve one callback. Its probably because I don't live in the area right now. Unfortunately I live in an extremely rural area where there isn't any IT jobs. I desperately want to relocate, but I wont be able to get a job unless I currently live in the area. I can't afford to relocate without getting a job first, so its a catch 22. I currently have one job prospect in Little Rock (not my first choice but I have to take what I can get). If it falls through, I will be back to square one.

That said, from my experience, while IT may be the best it has been since the dot com bust, it still is an extremely dismal market. I would STRONGLY advise young people starting out to consider majoring in something else. There are too many people in IT and thats why it is extremely tough to even get an entry-level job. I am scared to death about my future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2007, 10:21 AM

163 posts, read 908,749 times
You've got a couple things going against you:

1 - You don't live in the same city you're looking for work in. It's VERY difficult to find a job in a different city, especially if you don't have much experience. Unless you have some very unique job skills that can't be found among the local candidates, hiring managers are going to ignore you. The problem is that there are IT people coming out of the woodwork in D/FW. If a hiring manager posts a job, they're probably going to get 100 resumes from people with the required qualifications. If 99 of those resumes are from local D/FW candidates, they're not going to fool with calling the guy in Arkansas.

2 - You're fresh out of school, and probably don't have much experience. IT is still a great field to be in, and there are probably more IT jobs than any other type of job out there, with the exception of maybe the medical industry. But it can be really tough to break into the IT field. I think you'll find that the first job is the hardest to get...but this is probably true for any recent college grad, regardless of what field they're in.

However, once you get that first job, if you work hard and are good at what you do, you can move up very quickly. Like Sassberto said, "you have to be good, there's no more room for bottom-feeders in this business". But don't let this scare you, this is actually a good thing. Like you said, there are too many people in IT, but the spares get washed out quickly, making it easy for those who work hard to get ahead. Don't worry about not having experience...as long as you are not lazy, it won't take long before you're better than most of the "experienced" people in IT.

My advice would be to find a way to move to Dallas. Once you are here, you'll have a much easier time. Most entry level IT people don't have a degree, so you have a leg up on the competition. Also, there tends to be a hiring boom shortly after the first of the year.

If you can't move to Dallas, you could always change your cell phone number to a Dallas area number, and put a friends address on your resume. Hell, if you don't know anyone in Dallas, just make up an address! Yes, I know, not honest, but you gotta do what you gotta do to get that first job. They're going to call you for an interview, not write you a letter, so it's the local phone number that is key here. Arkansas is close enough that you can drive here in a day to take an interview.

Old 11-15-2007, 06:48 PM

3,589 posts, read 4,149,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
I am getting ready to graduate with an IT degree this December. Somebody said Dallas is great for IT work. I have sent my resume to many places in Dallas and have yet to recieve one callback. Its probably because I don't live in the area right now. Unfortunately I live in an extremely rural area where there isn't any IT jobs. I desperately want to relocate, but I wont be able to get a job unless I currently live in the area. I can't afford to relocate without getting a job first, so its a catch 22. I currently have one job prospect in Little Rock (not my first choice but I have to take what I can get). If it falls through, I will be back to square one.

That said, from my experience, while IT may be the best it has been since the dot com bust, it still is an extremely dismal market. I would STRONGLY advise young people starting out to consider majoring in something else. There are too many people in IT and thats why it is extremely tough to even get an entry-level job. I am scared to death about my future.
I live in Dallas and have 10 years of experience in IT, and I get recruitment e-mails and/or calls pretty much every day. My BF is a SQL DBA with 10 years of experience and he gets calls at least once a day. However, it took me 8 months of papering Dallas with resumes to get my first real IT job during the dot.com boom.

You have two strikes against you: you don't have a lot of experience from the sound of it, and you don't actually live in Dallas. Be patient.

Old 11-15-2007, 07:19 PM

453 posts, read 2,101,315 times
programming and development can easily be shipped overseas. system administrator, business analyst, management, etc. can't be shipped overseas easily.

Old 12-12-2007, 07:06 AM

27 posts, read 57,136 times
I work in IT-industries in Russia and all is very interesting to me that here write. Excuse me for my bad English

Old 12-13-2007, 12:06 PM

595 posts, read 2,344,444 times
I work in IT now, and besides the fact that I'm burnt out on it (and the job hopping). I re enrolled at college with a plan on getting out of IT eventually.

Old 12-14-2007, 09:03 AM

27 posts, read 57,136 times
[SIZE=2]I wish to ask:
What provisional earnings of the expert in the field of automation of manufacture?
[/SIZE]

Old 12-18-2007, 09:16 AM

2,976 posts, read 13,375,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdummy View Post
....As far as the over 40 crowd goes; I hope I'm not touching a nerve here, but I have seen this many times over the years, so here's my two cents worth... It seems like alot of people by the age of 40, kind of decide that they're not looking to learn anything new. As a result, their skills become out of date. In the IT world, this is the kiss of death. You have to keep your skills updated if you want to survive in this business, and as we all know, the technologies we work with can change on almost a yearly basis. So you may need to ask yourself, is the problem really that you are old, or is the problem that your skillset is old?
As a business owner in IT - you are absolutely right. Reminds me of the guys who only knew mainframes and didn't want to learn anything but COBOL ... yipes!! Keeping your skills updated is critical. Technology is one of those fields you have to have a passion for and a on-going desire to learn, because you want to. It's more than just a career choice. If you don't have a passion for technology, regardless of age, then you need to find another field.

I know people in their 60's who are as relevant or more than those half their age. They are educated and they remain current in their field - no, not just by reading, also by doing. Plus they expand beyond their radar which is really important.

Old 12-18-2007, 10:23 AM

1,357 posts, read 5,467,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhlcomp View Post
As a business owner in IT - you are absolutely right. Reminds me of the guys who only knew mainframes and didn't want to learn anything but COBOL ... yipes!! Keeping your skills updated is critical. Technology is one of those fields you have to have a passion for and a on-going desire to learn, because you want to. It's more than just a career choice. If you don't have a passion for technology, regardless of age, then you need to find another field.

I know people in their 60's who are as relevant or more than those half their age. They are educated and they remain current in their field - no, not just by reading, also by doing. Plus they expand beyond their radar which is really important.
Amen to that. And I've seen a lot of times that mainframers are territorial about their technology and look down their noses at "those client server people" (which in itself is a 10 year old skillset, IMO).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment