Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2013, 07:21 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,736,389 times

Advertisements

Maybe this isn't the right place to ask this...

I have both homeschooled and run my own part-time business for the past five years. Well, the kids are going to school this year! I have my work schedule arranged so that I only need to work three days per week, so I'll have two days per week completely off. I will need to drive the kids to and from school, but other than that, I'll be freeee....

So up until now, I haven't really had days "off" without kids (not counting weekends, when of course I can get out and do things sometimes while DH has the kids... but weekends are usually filled with errands and family time). What do you do on your days off? I don't want to waste my time sitting home surfing the Internet or cleaning the house. Any interesting suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2013, 07:52 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,204,032 times
I have one day off every other week. Unfortunately, I spend it grocery shopping and running other errands. Occasionally I take one of those days to stay in the house in my jammies all day, even if I spend it doing laundry.

If I had 2 days off every week I would run the errands, have coffee with friends, exercise, and volunteer in my kids' classes.

Old 08-07-2013, 07:53 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,106,493 times
What a wonderful opportunity for you. What would you like to do? I think if I had an extra two days off a week every week, I would probably find some volunteer work to do for at least one of them. I might also consider taking a class in something I am interested in.

Old 08-07-2013, 07:57 PM

1,057 posts, read 2,421,985 times
Volunteer? Marketing, social activities for your business? Activities to grow said business, ect/ blog I think it really depends on your interests, plan and goals. That's a problem I'd love to have

Old 08-07-2013, 08:08 PM

12,789 posts, read 15,021,124 times
I work, but am unmarried w/o kids. For the past 2 yrs & for this upcoming school year, I have 1 weekday off a week (including the weekends). My city isn't quite as exciting with as much to do as a city like L.A., but here's what I do when around town w/ my significant other &/or alone:

- browse bookstores
- movies
- dine out
- walk/shop the malls
- go on day trips to cities an hour or so away
- stay home all day at times, watch TV & get on comptuer, taking online grad courses, etc.
- walk
- work out at gym
- getting started with a work at home gig...will show my SO soon once I learn more!

Last edited by Forever Blue; 08-07-2013 at 08:19 PM..

Old 08-07-2013, 08:25 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,736,389 times
I do have some ideas; I was just looking for more! I am trying to learn German, and would like to take a class to help me along. Volunteering is a good idea... I'm usually volunteering as a host mom for foreign exchange students, but this year our young lady won't arrive until the end of October, so I have a couple of months in the meantime. I'll be doing marketing and other business-growing things on the three days that I work. I do plan on spending some time reading, because I hardly ever get time to just sit down and read novels. And exercising! I had been running, but it's so hot here now (SW Florida) that I have mostly given it up. Soon enough the mornings will be cool enough to start it up again though!

Old 08-07-2013, 09:58 PM

23,579 posts, read 24,109,566 times
1/ Go out and enjoy some nice lunches/dinners with my wife.
2/ Sleep in, past 7:00 AM.
3/ Go out and run a few miles. (I do this during the week also, after work.)
4/ Golf, if I can find someone to go with.
5/ Shop.
6/ Visit a museum or a new area we've not been to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment