Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 01:28 PM

1,163 posts, read 1,236,301 times

Advertisements

I work for an airline call centre...and soon they will be sending us all home so eventually there will be no call centre on campus..so I am quite excited for it because it takes the stress out of transporting to work and a crammed call centre...but the negative would be getting that cabin fever like feeling...ae there any people here that do wfh full time? whats it like? any advice for me? Ill be sent home by December.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2013, 01:28 PM

23,520 posts, read 24,000,129 times
You forgot the golf course shots and 1/2 marathon practice. (sarcasm)

Quote:
Originally Posted by plmokn View Post
What working from home really means:

Old 08-09-2013, 01:32 PM

23,520 posts, read 24,000,129 times
This week was slow for me and I ended up working from my home office 4 days this week.

Main thing is to respond quickly to calls/emails/texts. Make yourself available. Chat with other colleagues via chat and phone to keep up to date on the latest. Make time for a break also (a short walk, a snack, etc).

Most difficult thing is for my wife (who is a student, currently) to realize that I am working when she sees me at home. She sometimes interrupts me when I am doing emails, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber18 View Post
I work for an airline call centre...and soon they will be sending us all home so eventually there will be no call centre on campus..so I am quite excited for it because it takes the stress out of transporting to work and a crammed call centre...but the negative would be getting that cabin fever like feeling...ae there any people here that do wfh full time? whats it like? any advice for me? Ill be sent home by December.

Old 08-09-2013, 01:34 PM

5,332 posts, read 8,540,802 times
I've worked a mixture of at home / in office for almost 10 years now.

I've known of situations with co-workers who have abused it (one example: coworker claims she is "working at home" on a certain day - that day, despite several people trying to reach her by phone, she never answers, nor does she return any voicemails). Due to that, it is not widely accepted where I work, but some folks do it with approval of supervisor.

In my case, my co-workers know that they will reach me nearly instantaneously via email, text, or phone during every hour that I am supposed to be available to them, and my productivity is always on-point, so it hasn't caused issues for me. I actually end up working more hours due to the fact I work at home, but this is not a concern of mine as I value the ability to work from home so much.

I will add, before the management at my company tightened up on the WHF issues, we had several women who began working from home after they returned from their 3 month maternity leave, and in each case, it was blatantly obvious that they were very distracted with their new babies and not fulfilling their work responsibilities the way they had before. They all ended up quitting when the requirements became stricter.

Old 08-09-2013, 01:38 PM

1,163 posts, read 1,236,301 times
I guess fortunately for me there is no unproductive worries because we have to be logged on and on the phones and if we aren't it will really affect our stats and also our office has to be quiet and closed off so I don't have to worry about interruptions too much

Old 08-09-2013, 01:44 PM

5,865 posts, read 11,920,390 times
For me, it's all about the work. I had a job that required me to do a lot of spreadsheets and crunching and I found that I worked better at home with less distractions and was actually able to get a lot more done than a commute day.

My job now requires too much face time with people and the work load isn't as intense so when I do work from home I don't feel as productive.

Of course what everyone said about culture, boss etc is true. When I had the first mentioned job, I had a boss who hated people to WFH. It made no sense to me. I was supporting people in Mexico and Asia - there was no need for me to physically be in the office, but it bugged him so I probably lost 2 hours a day efficiency between the commute and the 5 minute walks to the bathroom or cafeteria (huge building). Now I have a boss who fully supports WFH, but my job doesn't!

Old 08-09-2013, 02:03 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,671,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
Most difficult thing is for my wife (who is a student, currently) to realize that I am working when she sees me at home. She sometimes interrupts me when I am doing emails, etc.
yeah, my husband is terrible about this when i am doing my freelance writing, especially since i do it at odd hours. i have to tell him "i am working for the next 2 hours, don't talk to me!"

Old 08-09-2013, 02:12 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,723,533 times
If you can prove yourself as being even more productive at home than you are at work, it could become a full-time gig.

I work from home, and I wouldn't have it any other way. I never want to work in an office again! I do get tons of leeway... as long as I get my work done, I feel free to go to the beach or go shopping or whatever. Granted, I work for myself, but my clients don't get to tell me when to do their projects, as long as I'm getting them done by (or before) the deadline.

Go for it!

Old 08-09-2013, 02:19 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,807,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missdiagnosis View Post
What are you guys views about working from home, say once or twice a week. Do you think it hurts you in the long run, say when it comes down to evaluation time, or do you think as long as you stay consistently on point it shouldn't really matter. Mind you, work from home would not be everyday, so you are still garnering face time with co workers in the office.

Thoughts please.
Depends on the job, company culture, manager, etc. There is no one size fits all to this.

Old 08-09-2013, 02:21 PM

2,257 posts, read 5,186,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
yeah, my husband is terrible about this when i am doing my freelance writing, especially since i do it at odd hours. i have to tell him "i am working for the next 2 hours, don't talk to me!"
Well, I would give him the benefit of doubt! If you don't have a structured work schedule or place, it would get difficult to guess if you are just browsing the internet or actually doing your work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment