Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2013, 08:24 PM

37 posts, read 49,302 times

Advertisements

I am anxious to move on from the job I've had for 15 months. I took it simply to pay the bills and have benefits. I have an MA in journalism but had difficulty finding a full time job in news after graduation. I realize now I should've networked more and done more freelancing. I considered giving news another chance, but at this point in my life, I do not want to work overnights and holidays, and the field is giving way more to freelancers anyway. I still intend to freelance on the side, though, because I like to inform and communicate that way.

So, now I am looking for other fields to work full time. I think either advertising or PR is good for me, not just because of my skills, but because I enjoy writing, using images to communicate and just overall communicate with others. Yeah, I know PR is the dark side, but it is the livable side too! Plus, its a new way of brainstorming, analyzing and being creative.

But these days I am just a receptionist at a law firm. I want to start working towards a job in PR or advertising, but I do not know where or how to get started. I can't do an internship because there is little or no pay and its only temporary. I've thought about volunteering at non-profit organizations to build up a portfolio, but how do I approach them and which ones would give me a chance? Would starting off as an admin or receptionist at a firm or agency really help? I mean, I know it gets my foot into the door, but would it really get me anywhere?

Any advice is much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2013, 08:44 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,159,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CielArdent9 View Post
but at this point in my life, I do not want to work overnights and holidays
Is there a particular reason why?

Old 08-09-2013, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
Is there a particular reason why?
I'm not as interested as I was when I was younger. Priorities change.

Old 08-10-2013, 12:32 PM

Any help, anyone? :-)

Old 08-10-2013, 12:41 PM

155 posts, read 310,693 times
It seems you have answered most of your own questions and you have the right idea.

Old 08-10-2013, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot_in_dc View Post
It seems you have answered most of your own questions and you have the right idea.
Really? I was hoping there were other avenues. I get that it will be a long road, but I wanted to make sure I had the right plan in mind.

Thanks though!

Old 08-10-2013, 06:11 PM

497 posts, read 696,636 times
What about doing communications work for your current employer? Most large firms have a communications manager/director on staff. Can you help him/her? If not, look at larger firms in your area. Since you have worked in the industry and have a master's degree in journalism, law firms may be very interested in your background.

For volunteering, just find an organization you want to work with, and send an email or call. Stress the value that you can bring to their organization - media relations, web content, etc. The organization can be a local non-profit, or you can always volunteer with a professional organization in your area (Chamber of Commerce, alumni groups, etc.) While you are building your portfolio, you should also focus on networking with other professionals.

Old 08-10-2013, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gagirlatl View Post
What about doing communications work for your current employer? Most large firms have a communications manager/director on staff. Can you help him/her? If not, look at larger firms in your area. Since you have worked in the industry and have a master's degree in journalism, law firms may be very interested in your background.

For volunteering, just find an organization you want to work with, and send an email or call. Stress the value that you can bring to their organization - media relations, web content, etc. The organization can be a local non-profit, or you can always volunteer with a professional organization in your area (Chamber of Commerce, alumni groups, etc.) While you are building your portfolio, you should also focus on networking with other professionals.
The law firm I work for is a small one with no PR manager or the like. It doesn't even have a website, which is odd. Its been around for well over ten years and business is booming. But the partners are living in the Stone Age.

I am making a list of organizations I'd like to volunteer for. I would network but because I have little to bring to any PR job now, I think I should hold off until I get more experience. I mean, I've thought about going to networking events for PR professionals, but what would make them think I'd be worth hiring or interviewing? Sure, I may have enthusiasm, good writing skills, and I'm personable, etc., but wouldn't I need to show results first? Whenever I look for entry-level PR jobs, I see requirements are always for internships and proven results.

Old 08-11-2013, 12:31 PM

497 posts, read 696,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CielArdent9 View Post
The law firm I work for is a small one with no PR manager or the like. It doesn't even have a website, which is odd. Its been around for well over ten years and business is booming. But the partners are living in the Stone Age.

I am making a list of organizations I'd like to volunteer for. I would network but because I have little to bring to any PR job now, I think I should hold off until I get more experience. I mean, I've thought about going to networking events for PR professionals, but what would make them think I'd be worth hiring or interviewing? Sure, I may have enthusiasm, good writing skills, and I'm personable, etc., but wouldn't I need to show results first? Whenever I look for entry-level PR jobs, I see requirements are always for internships and proven results.
So you work for a law firm that does not have any PR/communications support - right? Why are you not offering to help them in that area? Show some initiative, and you might be surprised where it leads you.

Old 08-11-2013, 12:33 PM

459 posts, read 1,744,765 times
As someone that worked in advertising for 2 years, if you aren't willing to work in the evenings - it is not the profession for you.

There can be some extremely long hours.

Just saying "I want to work in advertising" is very broad. Are there specific disciplines you are interested in? Creative? Account Management? Strategy/Account Planning?

I have seen people working the front desk make their way into other areas over time. It's not unheard of. But most people get their foot in the door through an internship or having a very polished resume with the internship experience already behind them.

Being that you are in the NY area, if you are really interested in pursuing a career in creative advertising - I would urge looking into a portfolio school as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment