Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 11:05 AM

6,985 posts, read 7,050,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Yes, but if I pay that worker and his replacement for the day, then I can no longer pay my mortage and support my family. Why am I responsible to bear this burden? Yes, I feel for the worker, and his rough times. But my children shouldn't starve or be homeless because of it.
Why should the employee's children be the ones to starve or be homeless.

Quote:
Yes, I always prefer the the worker stay home. And if they are too sick to work I can send them home. But I should never be forced to pay for it.
If you are the one sending the employee home, then you for sure should have to pay his/her salary.

Honestly, I see this as a typical employer vs employee debate on this forum which we won't ever all come to an agreement on. What about paying employees half of their salary when using sick time? Isn't that a fair compromise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2013, 11:30 AM

9,879 posts, read 14,131,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
Why should the employee's children be the ones to starve or be homeless.
Because he is the one who has done no work for that day. An employer's job is to not ensure their worker's mortgage is paid or their children don't starve. An employers job is to pay for the amount of time worked. In order to attract and retain better candidates, that employer can offer and pay for benefits such as paid time off, but it should never be required.

Quote:
If you are the one sending the employee home, then you for sure should have to pay his/her salary.
If they do not perform any work, there should be no requirement for payment.

Old 08-21-2013, 11:31 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,207,220 times
Quote:
Coming from you, I'm not surprised.

Agreed. However, can you carry those days over from one year to the next? Most people are not sick for 7 days in a typical year, but will eventually have a year where they get really sick and are sick for more than 7 days.
The nerve, asking someone to work for the money they earn. What am I thinking?

Old 08-21-2013, 11:33 AM

3,040 posts, read 2,579,429 times
Quote:
I don't agree with it. Let's assume I employ a helper to assist me in my (made up) landscaping business. It's only the two of us, so it's a very small business, and I'm barely getting by. One day, my helper calls in sick. Well, that's understandable, but I still need a helper for the day. So I get (and have to pay) a temporary worker to complete my jobs for the day.

So, you are saying I now should also have to pay the other worker, because they were sick and did not work that day? And this is because, we don't want them losing out financially? Well, What about me, the small business owner? Why should I fall behind in this scenario?

Paid sick days are fantastic and have become a great benefit for attracting and retaining talent for those companies who can afford to do so. It is ridiculous to make this mandatory.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Why should it be mandated to pay someone when they aren't working?

Also, seven sick days a year is a lot. I don't know many people who are genuinely sick seven days every year.
Businesses usually get compensated through tax breaks if im not mistaken.

This is done all over the world. Why can't the U.S do it? At least a 145 countries provide it.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sick_leave

7 days is not much at all compared to what many other countries get. Maybe you're a parent. You get sick a few days a year and have a couple kids that go to school, who also get sick a few days a year and need to be kept home...

Old 08-21-2013, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean71 View Post
Businesses usually get compensated through tax breaks if im not mistaken.

This is done all over the world. Why can't the U.S do it? At least a 145 countries provide it.

Sick leave - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

7 days is not much at all compared to what many other countries get. Maybe you're a parent. You get sick a few days a year and have a couple kids that go to school, who also get sick a few days a year and need to be kept home...
So take a day off if you exceed your sick days. Companies in America already provide extended leave for illness, why do we need to get the government involved?

Why don't we just give everyone PTO days instead of sick days and vacation days? Let people decide how to use their paid time off for themselves.

Old 08-21-2013, 11:55 AM

9,879 posts, read 14,131,555 times
Quote:
Why don't we just give everyone PTO days instead of sick days and vacation days? Let people decide how to use their paid time off for themselves.
The government should not require any paid time off. It is a benfit that companies can offer, provided they can afford it.

Old 08-21-2013, 12:13 PM

Quote:
The government should not require any paid time off. It is a benfit that companies can offer, provided they can afford it.
I agree completely, I wasn't trying to say that the government should. I simply meant to say that assuming we do have time given to us by a company, they shouldn't care if we use it for a sick day or a vacation day. Let people be in control of what they do with the time given to them (and let companies be in control of what benefits they give to employees)

Old 08-21-2013, 12:20 PM

25,961 posts, read 22,126,936 times
While it sounds good, it isn't. I worked where they had paid sick leave and most of the employees used it for "other than sick" and most used it as soon as they got it to take time off. When they got sick, they came to work anyway. "Sick" leave for sickness? Doesn't happen that much.

I have noticed that many medical facilities now have different types of after hour care and some Saturday mornings and we live in a smaller town.

Old 08-21-2013, 12:25 PM

8,079 posts, read 10,081,779 times
Many of the small business people I know are doing everything possible to get to a 'pay for work' scheme with their employees. Where possible, it is productivity based: You get paid for so many bricks per hour; for every 100 bricks you lay, you get paid $20. Slow worker? Ill? You don't get paid. Neither do i.

Why? Because people have taken advantage of the system and the small business owner can't afford it. If everyone worked up to capacity, it wouldn't be a problem. Because it has been abused, business people turn to whatever means they can in order to survive. Sick days, sadly, are a perk which I can not absorb.

Now, if I was getting 100% from each of my employees, every day, and they were looking out for my business, they I would rethink my stand. Sadly, it doesn't work that way.

Old 08-21-2013, 12:31 PM

3,040 posts, read 2,579,429 times
Quote:
So take a day off if you exceed your sick days. Companies in America already provide extended leave for illness, why do we need to get the government involved?

I'd be for that.
The problem is, most companies here offer time off. But it's not paid...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment