Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2013, 09:54 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,223,428 times

Advertisements

That is the thing with the large corporate world. The organization will survive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2013, 09:59 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,783,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
Now back to my question!
I only saw one question and my response to it would be, "I have no idea". If it's that much of a pressing issue after all this time and has to be answered then maybe you can track down these people and ask them ...

Old 08-30-2013, 11:09 AM

12,111 posts, read 23,331,841 times
If they did me that way I would have thrown my **** in the box and walked out the door. I wouldn't even mention pending projects, phone calls, etc.

Old 08-30-2013, 11:10 AM

8,084 posts, read 10,104,063 times
So, what did we learn?

You are not half as important as you think you are. None of us are. If you get hit by a bus, the world will barely shudder and the corporation will go on.

What you should do, in a situation where you are working with clients (let's say you are in IT Consulting) you start working the phones. Call your colleagues; call your suppliers; call the clients for whom you were working on projects. Do Not Bad Mouth The Company. Simply say that you are shocked/dismayed to be relieved of your duty and if there is anything which you can do to make a seamless transition for the projects on which you were working, you would be pleased to try to help--but recognize that you are no longer working for XYZ Corporation. You do this for yourself; the Firm is going to wish you would curl up and die. These are YOUR relationships--as friends/colleagues, and the Corporation cannot eliminate that camaraderie. These same relationships will also help get you re-employed.

No one is going to take you up on the offer, but they are going to remember that did the 'right' thing, especially you when you are re-employed and show up to work on the same or similar project with another firm. It is called not burning your bridges, and leaving on the best terms possible.

Close the chapter in your life. Move along. The sun will come up regardless of whether you and I are there to see it.

Old 08-30-2013, 11:22 AM

2,479 posts, read 2,218,799 times
Default Its a generational thing

Fired preemptively

You. Not an employee but still want to act like one.

Millenniums. Wee wee in their in-boxes

Old 08-30-2013, 11:23 AM

2,444 posts, read 2,879,896 times
Reminds me of what happened with one of my buyer clients. We were waiting for a status update on her loan; I decided to email the loan officer after neither of us were able to get a call back. I got an automated email saying he was no longer with the bank. Found out later her loan was denied; too many weeks later. I would never willingly work with this bank again. (It's one of the major ones).

Old 08-30-2013, 11:25 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,446,548 times
Default I'm afraid I disagree here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
Call your colleagues; call your suppliers; call the clients for whom you were working on projects. Do Not Bad Mouth The Company. Simply say that you are shocked/dismayed to be relieved of your duty and if there is anything which you can do to make a seamless transition for the projects on which you were working, you would be pleased to try to help
If someone called me trying to give me a line like that (and that's what I would think it was), I would blow them off. Calling up your customers or colleagues only makes you look desperate and foolish.

Old 08-30-2013, 12:31 PM

8,084 posts, read 10,104,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
If someone called me trying to give me a line like that (and that's what I would think it was), I would blow them off. Calling up your customers or colleagues only makes you look desperate and foolish.
You ARE desperate. You just lost your job. You don't have to drool desperation or use a oparticular 'line', but it certainly is time to put aggressive plan B in motion. Ensuring that your friends, colleagues, and customers are on board is paramount. You don't have to whine or talk sour grapes, but you do have to let them know that the situation has changed. Network.

Yes, if they despised you to begin with, well, then that's another matter. But if you have strong relationships with them, then by all means, engage them completely.

Old 08-30-2013, 12:33 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,783,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
You ARE desperate. You just lost your job.
Unless we're diverging into the hypothetical, this is a situation which the OP was in a long time ago and which he's simply rehashing for some reason which rather eludes me, anyway.

Old 08-30-2013, 12:35 PM

1,285 posts, read 2,361,257 times
Basically, companies do not care about you, or any employee, at all. Its sad that employees have to tip-toe around companies, especially during the interview process, but then these same companies will disregard you without a second thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment