Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2013, 04:00 PM

3,118 posts, read 5,367,582 times

Advertisements

You don't have to have a local #. A lot of people who live in big cities don't have local numbers. I live in Chicago and don't have a local number. Most people I know here don't have local numbers. All you need to do is put down a local address. Just look up some apartment complex and say you live there. Of course this only works if you aren't currently working in your home state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2013, 05:25 PM

389 posts, read 922,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
You don't have to have a local #. A lot of people who live in big cities don't have local numbers. I live in Chicago and don't have a local number. Most people I know here don't have local numbers. All you need to do is put down a local address. Just look up some apartment complex and say you live there. Of course this only works if you aren't currently working in your home state.
Most companies dont send snail mail, but I had not long time ago one young small company that sent their decisiok by mail! Even though they corresponded via email previously thats what happened.

Old 09-07-2013, 05:54 PM

34,146 posts, read 83,188,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
I state in the cover letter that I'm willing to relocate at my own expense...
Willing to?

Try including: "Because of reason X and situation Y I expect to move to AZ. Perhaps before years
end but I really want to have a comparable job waiting for me rather than to just pick up and go"

See if you get a more positive response.
Quote:
Some say just pickup and go...
Not merely pickup and go.
But with a place to go *to* and some cash to see you through until temp jobs yield to a real job.

Old 09-07-2013, 06:09 PM

4,046 posts, read 2,734,230 times
I've been reading this thread with quite a bit of interest because my sister is in the same situation--she came out to visit me for a week in August, fell in love with Colorado, and has decided to move out here with me. I have a two bedroom, two bathroom house, so she already has a place to stay, but we've been wondering what the odds are of her getting offered a position when she's out of state. We debated her possibly working in that she already has living arrangements set up, so all she'd need to do is give the standard two-weeks notice at her current job, then pack up her personal belongings and drive out here (which she could do in a day).

(She won't be bringing her furniture--she's currently living with our parents, and all she really has is bedroom furniture and she looked it over and decided it wasn't worth bringing out here, so better to sell it/donate it and just buy what she needs once she gets here.)

Old 09-08-2013, 06:26 AM

19,457 posts, read 27,934,089 times
As an ex HR and hiring manager, I can assure you that NOT telling a potential employer that you need to move from out of state is a stupid idea. Once they find out (and they will), one of two things is going to happen. Your offer will be rescinded or they will distrust you from day one, eventually leading to a miserable work environment, no promotion opportunities, and/or you getting fired.

To the OP: I left phoenix a year ago, but I doubt much has changed. Jobs in that area are hard to come by. Employers in phoenix AVOIDED hiring newcomers because such a high percentage of newbies leave in just a couple of years. With the exception of very specialized jobs and on campus recruting, the vast majority of employers don't even bother reviewing out of state applications. Hell, if you live on the East Valley and the employer is in the West Valley, you're going to the bottom of the pile.

One more exception : somebody who knew somebody. Networking. Go back and read my prior post, but be aware that you've selected one of the tougher cities for getting a job, even for the locals.

Old 09-08-2013, 08:28 AM

3,118 posts, read 5,367,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
As an ex HR and hiring manager, I can assure you that NOT telling a potential employer that you need to move from out of state is a stupid idea. Once they find out (and they will), one of two things is going to happen. Your offer will be rescinded or they will distrust you from day one, eventually leading to a miserable work environment, no promotion opportunities, and/or you getting fired.

To the OP: I left phoenix a year ago, but I doubt much has changed. Jobs in that area are hard to come by. Employers in phoenix AVOIDED hiring newcomers because such a high percentage of newbies leave in just a couple of years. With the exception of very specialized jobs and on campus recruting, the vast majority of employers don't even bother reviewing out of state applications. Hell, if you live on the East Valley and the employer is in the West Valley, you're going to the bottom of the pile.

One more exception : somebody who knew somebody. Networking. Go back and read my prior post, but be aware that you've selected one of the tougher cities for getting a job, even for the locals.
What if you used to live in an area and still have that area's local #, but left the state for another job, but now want to move back? Do they even take the time to put 2 and 2 together by looking at your phone #?

Old 09-08-2013, 08:53 AM

Quote:
What if you used to live in an area and still have that area's local #, but left the state for another job, but now want to move back? Do they even take the time to put 2 and 2 together by looking at your phone #?
IME, many jobs will also ask for your driver's license number, so unless you've been in the new place for such a short time that you haven't had to change your DL over yet, they're going to figure it out that way.

Plus, they do research, both via internet and with background checking. Somebody's likely to figure out that you're not truly in state.

Old 09-08-2013, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
As an ex HR and hiring manager, I can assure you that NOT telling a potential employer that you need to move from out of state is a stupid idea. Once they find out (and they will)
This was something my sister and I agreed on--a family member had suggested my sister just give Colorado employers my address and phone number and act like she already lives here, and my sister and I both rejected it on the grounds of 1.) They would surely notice that she kept calling back from a Missouri-based number (granted, in this day and age of cellphones, that doesn't necessarily mean anything, a friend of mine who moved to Vegas two years ago still has a cell phone with a Denver-based number), and 2.) Many employers ask for your driver's license number, and they'd obviously notice my sister's says Missouri.

Plus, we figured with her luck, they'd say, "Can you come in for an interview in an hour?" and she'd be stuck having to explain why she can't.

So our question is this: If she puts in a cover letter that she already has living arrangements in Colorado (I've been here for fifteen years, it's not likely I'm leaving anytime soon), and could be in state quickly (after giving the standard two-week notice to her current employer), would this 'help' her any? (She has considered just saving up her money for a few months, quitting her job, and moving out here and then applying, but she'd prefer to be employed before coming out here to avoid being a burden on me.) Since you work in HR, what are your thoughts on this?

Old 09-08-2013, 09:11 AM

34,146 posts, read 83,188,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigo Cardinal View Post
If she puts in a cover letter that she already has living arrangements in Colorado...
but doesn't have some arcane skill in short supply there? Not likely.
Certainly so unlikely as to make planning around remote application almost absurd.
---

A common theme in these job search threads is the focus on finding "The Job".
Give it up and especially if relocating uninvited.
Focus on finding "A Job"... (which still requires being able to start next Monday).

Once in place? Of course try to do better, either there or with some other company.
But don't continue to make the search perfect the enemy of whats good enough to start on.

Old 09-08-2013, 10:03 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,703 posts, read 81,547,262 times
Quote:
Phone numbers make no difference, it's the address. I have an employee that I hired a month after he moved to Seattle from Alaska, and two years later he still has an Anchorage number. He kept the cell number, which is quite common.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment