Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 09:24 PM

1,336 posts, read 4,969,358 times

Advertisements

i think the entry level accounting job has become extinct. sure there are the occasional postings for such a position but there are so many recent accounting grads coupled with all those with 1-2 yrs exp that are out of work and applying that it really seems impossible to get hired. had 3 interviews after graduation that went great but wasnt hired, havent gotten any any calls in several months now and things just seem very bleek. Feels like there could be a whole generation of accounting grads that may never work in the field.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2011, 09:39 PM

1,561 posts, read 2,260,449 times
Entry level jobs in every field seem to be extinct.

It's scary and frustrating out there.

Old 10-31-2011, 09:40 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,195,377 times
Just look at the past 10 years or so how colleges and universities, public and private, profit and non-profit alike have been promoting how accountants are in demand. As a result, students flock to the accounting degree program. Simple supply and demand.

Old 10-31-2011, 09:52 PM

1,391 posts, read 2,648,193 times
I think this whole "job" thing is inching ever closer to extinction.

Old 11-01-2011, 07:37 AM

34,109 posts, read 83,054,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSnFla View Post
i think the entry level accounting job has become extinct.
Corporate or private practice?
I hated it but still did a couple of tax seasons with a mid sized local firm when in college.

With few exceptions everyone with a BS in accounting who worked there then and who works there now....
*started* as a part timer while still in college. They didn't wait until after college to get that "entry level" job.

You're playing catch up ball.

hth

Old 11-01-2011, 08:46 AM

8,090 posts, read 12,804,222 times
I don't believe it is isolated to the accounting profession; with job creation not even keeping up with new entrants to the labor market it is tough all over. I think you are correct that there will be many accounting graduates who never have the opportunity to work in accounting.

I too recently graduated with a degree in managerial accounting. I am a mid-life career changer and I knew going into it that I would not have the opportunity to work in corporate accounting or on a CPA track with a CPA firm. I am pursuing an "accounting niche" that I have identified in the marketplace that will allow me to work as an independent. (I won't go into details but it looks promising) That is all I wanted out of my accounting education, I really have no desire to get into the corporate "career track" or working as a CPA.

The only thing I can recommend is, that if you want a corporate/CPA firm career you should be interning. Nobody wants to pay you to gain experience. Secondly, you had better have software skills and/or training. I was amazed at the number of my classmates who, in their senior year were at the beginner level in excel skills. An Accountant that can't manipulate a simple pivot table isn't going to impress many employers. I also advise you pursue training in some of the accounting systems used by the level of business you are pursuing. If you want to work in a large corporation it would be wise to learn SAP or Oracle. You should also have some solid computer skills with SQL and SAP Crystal reports. You should know the formula language.

One other thing to consider. If you want to pursue tax accounting start working in it even if it means working for H&R Block at 8 bucks an hour. While you are doing that, start preparing for the Enrolled agent exam. I have seen people mention that once they had the enrolled agent designation the job offers were there.

The bottom line is you have to place yourself above the competition somehow. Just having an accounting degree is not going to cut it in this economy. Employers are looking for the degree as a minimum, they want to see skills and experience. If you can't get the experience, get the skills.

I wish you the best JSnFla

Old 11-01-2011, 09:35 AM

632 posts, read 1,181,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobucks86 View Post
Entry level jobs in every field seem to be extinct.

It's scary and frustrating out there.

I have to agree with you unfortunately. Accounting internships are few in between and very difficult to land and for most people, without an internship it is practically impossible to get a full time job right out of college.

Its especially frustrating that my university (University of Houston) doesn't screen job opportunities and or internships so all I see are MLM scam companies or sales positions and very few legit opportunities for Finance, Supply Chain, and or MIS majors.

Old 11-01-2011, 07:34 PM

29,843 posts, read 24,942,627 times
Unfortunately, many of these graduates are finding out that supply does not create the demand. If everyone runs out and gets an accounting degree, the number of job openings will not increase. What will happen is employers will realize there is a glut of accounting grads seeking precious few opportunities, and seek the best of the best, or offer crap salary/wages. Both appear to be happening simultaneously.

Eventually, some of these grads will be forced to seek another profession. That would explain the phenomenon of the highly educated workforce at many local Starbucks.

Old 11-01-2011, 08:21 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,629 posts, read 81,316,164 times
A recent posting for an entry level $20/hour administrative position resulted
in 4 applicants with MBAs, 2 CPAs, and a lawyer. For accounting jobs at our place, the lowest level requires 3 years experience, but that's not in response to the economy, it's always been that way. Corporate Accounting is an area where people really do prefer experienced workers. Tax preparing is about the only way to get hired right out of college.

Old 11-01-2011, 09:15 PM

83 posts, read 247,218 times
So do you plan to get your CPA license? Maybe that would open more doors for you. I'm in my junior year in the accounting program but I have been looking for internships/jobs to get experience while I'm still in school. I've had 2 interviews so far, and I'll keep looking even if it means going to school part-time.

@Wartrace great advice! I don't know why they don't have an advance excel class as a requirement in the major... I have to take useless classes and yet something that will be useful and I will need in a daily basis, they don't teach it ugh! But this winter break I will try to find books on excel and learn those pivot tables by myself

Also the H&R Block is a good idea, if I can't find a job by that time, I'll definitely put in an application there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment