Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2013, 11:32 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,050,479 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCmum View Post
How about you get a Skype phone number? For 3 months, it is $6/month, then you can list that phone number on your resume and have people call you, you can also call back using skype. I think this is a cheaper option if you're having money issues as opposed to paying for a cellphone plan. Online personal number, online business number with voicemail - Skype
Excellent option. Google voice is also free. Any voicemails left on that number can be picked up as email and then you can return the call.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2013, 06:11 AM

1,057 posts, read 2,420,069 times
I thought about Google Voice as well but I think you need an active Phone number to link the account from what I found out

Old 10-14-2013, 08:25 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
We send snail mail rejection letters, but for people that are invited for an interview it's a phone call. Here you would not be considered for a job without a phone number, and I'm sure that is the same at many/most places. I see plenty of pre-paid cell service at $25-$35/month with major carriers, that would be a good investment.

Old 10-14-2013, 08:50 AM

2,957 posts, read 5,905,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by docryan View Post
I spent better part of last couple months homeless living out of my car, but fortune smiled on me and once I arrived to new hometown I was able to rent a place. Shortly after my cell bill came in at a whopping $1k apparently the unlimited plan doesn't refer to data, so naturally my cell was disconnected until first of November. I've been applying to jobs a lot recently cause w/ government shut down I may loose or not receive my monthly pension which I live off of. My question is how likely is it that a potential employer will email me about a position if I don't list a cell or phone #.

I don't have any friends family or acquaintances in area to use their cell or land line. Should I just stop applying am I waisting my time until first of month?
Get a google voice number in your area and check it from a library or anywhere else you get any internet access. Anybody calling you will just think they hit your voicemail and will have no idea that you even have google voice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment