Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 02:43 AM

220 posts, read 475,703 times

Advertisements

It seems like EVERYONE is trying to be or wants to be a nurse. Is that the new "it career"?

What's the appeal? Nurses do crappy work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2012, 02:45 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,273,394 times
Not EVERYONE, humans are way too eager to share ALL of their bodily fluids and functions..........blech

Old 10-04-2012, 04:12 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,919,106 times
Because it has been an occupation in demand, even in the rotten economy. Beats the heck out of Architecture, Engineering or Construction, law, and on and on.

Old 10-04-2012, 04:59 AM

763 posts, read 2,605,550 times
Because most hospitals (especially the larger ones) have very attractive sign-on bonuses for nurses. The hourly rate is incredible and there are generally many, many nursing positions open at hospitals. The down side would be the schedules. Nurses can work some heinous schedules, which for the most part, is never the same from one week to the next. Unless you're a nurse manager, you would probably never have a set work schedule.

Old 10-04-2012, 06:00 AM

4,160 posts, read 5,624,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KABurke View Post
Because most hospitals (especially the larger ones) have very attractive sign-on bonuses for nurses. The hourly rate is incredible and there are generally many, many nursing positions open at hospitals. The down side would be the schedules. Nurses can work some heinous schedules, which for the most part, is never the same from one week to the next. Unless you're a nurse manager, you would probably never have a set work schedule.

Not anymore...

Because it's the only profession that is in demand and also pays well. However, Nurses have a very demanding job...it's stressful physically, mentally, and emotionally...

A lot of Nurses ( I believe it's 35%) leave after 7 years. Yes it seems like everyone is going into Nursing...but the schools are really weeding people out...entrance exams, difficult school requirements (most schools require a passing with a B+ or you will be kicked out). I've noticed the media has died down the Nursing shortage..but in 2020 I'm sure it will start up again.

Old 10-04-2012, 06:12 AM

763 posts, read 2,605,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnvrsoul View Post
Not anymore...

Because it's the only profession that is in demand and also pays well. However, Nurses have a very demanding job...it's stressful physically, mentally, and emotionally...

A lot of Nurses ( I believe it's 35%) leave after 7 years. Yes it seems like everyone is going into Nursing...but the schools are really weeding people out...entrance exams, difficult school requirements (most schools require a passing with a B+ or you will be kicked out). I've noticed the media has died down the Nursing shortage..but in 2020 I'm sure it will start up again.
I worked for one of the largest hospitals in our tri-state area a few years ago, and at that time, they offered a minimum $2,500 sign-on bonus (DOE) for nursing staff. I wouldn't be surprised at all if this has been eliminated since I left, though.

Old 10-04-2012, 06:53 AM

715 posts, read 1,074,496 times
Nursing is one of those professions where I wouldn't care how much it was paying, I would never go into it. I am not built nor wired for the demands of the profession, simple as that. I know mostly younger women who are studying it as a part of their college programs. I don't know anyone who is any older and looking to career change into nursing, but that could be happening also.

I guess there's money to be made there, if that's the appeal, but there's professions that pay more for less physical work and more normal hour type schedules. Nursing seems to be more in demand than most. More power to them.

Old 10-04-2012, 07:32 AM

1,880 posts, read 2,310,289 times
I'm in the medical field and I have found that I very much like my workmates in this field more than in any other field in which I've worked.

However, I don't really have an interest in being a nurse as such. I did have a mother who was a nurse.

Last edited by susankate; 10-04-2012 at 08:07 AM..

Old 10-04-2012, 07:36 AM

365 posts, read 645,076 times
My soon to be ex-wife is a RN Labor and Delivery. As much as she bytches about the job. It's a pretty sweet deal.

3 days a week. High salary. Loads of vacation and sick leave. Union makes it almost impossible to get fired. Some Hospitals you can go to school for free or even have tuition reimbursement. There are tons of seminars in different states. If you work nights you get extra pay.

You could go to school for two years and get all of that. Making a minimum of 28/hr to start. If you go to school for 4 years. The Nursing world is your Oyster.

Old 10-04-2012, 09:54 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,626,353 times
A lot of nurses get into the profession because they care about others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment