Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 05:51 PM

106 posts, read 171,839 times

Advertisements

I graduated in May with a BS in marketing. Started my MBA in September. Started an MBA marketing internship in October. And I couldn't hate it more if I tried. I think even if the commute wasn't so terrible, and the hours weren't so long, I'd still hate it. I don't understand how people can sit in an office chair for 9 hours. What I've learned is that when this internship is over, I have some serious soul searching to do. I'm in trouble. What am I going to do to make ends meet if I can't stand the office life ? I'd love to be my own boss but I don't have any ideas for a business....or the money to fund it. Suggestions ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2013, 06:01 PM

3,118 posts, read 5,356,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyboy View Post
I graduated in May with a BS in marketing. Started my MBA in September. Started an MBA marketing internship in October. And I couldn't hate it more if I tried. I think even if the commute wasn't so terrible, and the hours weren't so long, I'd still hate it. I don't understand how people can sit in an office chair for 9 hours. What I've learned is that when this internship is over, I have some serious soul searching to do. I'm in trouble. What am I going to do to make ends meet if I can't stand the office life ? I'd love to be my own boss but I don't have any ideas for a business....or the money to fund it. Suggestions ?
There are jobs that don't require you to be in an office all day. Is it just sitting in an office or the work? Just remember that it is WORK. Have you ever liked a job you've had, or is it just this one? You could always go a completely opposite direction and try cop, firefighter, trade, etc.

Old 10-22-2013, 06:04 PM

570 posts, read 1,729,883 times
Quote:
because people have works to do. The hours go very quick when you have stuffs to do. You can work at homework too, but it's still the same. Do you just hate this type of work or just don't like siting in office?

Old 10-22-2013, 06:04 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,034,396 times
Is it the environment - the office itself - or a sense of meaninglessness in the work?

For example, in general I'd prefer an office job over almost anything else, though there might be a few exceptions. On the flip side, so much of that work can be utterly meaningless and/or highly stressful. High stress + meaninglessness is the worst, of course.

So, what is it that bugs you about the job?

- The specific environment?
- The people?
- The technical details of the work?
- The BS that fills most offices?
- The office environment overall?
- The career field overall?

Try to pin down what it is that you find so frustrating and then go from there.

Good luck.

Old 10-22-2013, 06:13 PM

1,237 posts, read 3,448,948 times
What were you expecting from the marketing field? (Not sarcasm, genuinely asking). How did you envision spending your days when you were in undergrad studying marketing?

You're right, you need to do some soul searching. Keep in mind that a LOT of jobs involve the 9-5 cubicle work. If you can't see yourself working behind a desk, can you make marketing work with an interest of yours? Can you parlay your marketing education into something related (perhaps PR or event planning is more active/interactive)? Or maybe you'll end up finding a job to make ends meet while you change your course.

Do you have any mentors either at the internship or school who can help you

Old 10-22-2013, 06:53 PM

106 posts, read 171,839 times
Thanks for the responses everyone. The answer to "What is it specifically that you don't like ?" is multifaceted. There's definitely a sense of meaningless. And there's also stress to get the meaningless work done. I've liked other jobs I've had before (cashier, mail room assistant, etc.). Heck I even worked on a bread truck for a while and it wasn't easy. But at the end of the day I thought to myself (damn...I'm a beast !). This internship is a chore of the worst kind. Everyone there is nice enough but it's just not for me.

I was always engaged and excited by my marketing assignments in college. They made me think. And be creative. This, not so much. But I'm going to just power through it. I'll be looking into other areas of marketing that might suit me better I guess.

Old 10-22-2013, 07:44 PM

3,118 posts, read 5,356,588 times
Quote:
Thanks for the responses everyone. The answer to "What is it specifically that you don't like ?" is multifaceted. There's definitely a sense of meaningless. And there's also stress to get the meaningless work done. I've liked other jobs I've had before (cashier, mail room assistant, etc.). Heck I even worked on a bread truck for a while and it wasn't easy. But at the end of the day I thought to myself (damn...I'm a beast !). This internship is a chore of the worst kind. Everyone there is nice enough but it's just not for me.

I was always engaged and excited by my marketing assignments in college. They made me think. And be creative. This, not so much. But I'm going to just power through it. I'll be looking into other areas of marketing that might suit me better I guess.
I think I've got it figured out. You are an intern! Usually interns get the most meaningless work, because the established people don't want to do it. Even when you first start in a field, the first year or so you are doing the boring meaningless work. I've had plenty of friends straight out of college say the same thing! A lot of interns for good companies that get paid well just make copies and spreadsheets all day! Even straight out of college. Hang in there and pay your dues! You won't be doing the same type of meaningless work your whole career. You seriously need to have a sit down talk with someone higher up in your company that you trust. I'm sure they will tell you the same thing and to hang in there. Marketing isn't supposed to be boring.

Old 10-22-2013, 07:51 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,131,339 times
Yeah, marketing interns get the worst "projects" so I don't blame you. The only "exciting" function of marketing that I liked was marketing event planning or road shows.

Old 10-22-2013, 10:12 PM

29,825 posts, read 24,908,096 times
Haha, kind of sounds like my experience working in an office. For many days, my job was to sit in front of a computer, inputting data into Excel. All day long, 8 hours a day. The radio was the only thing that kept me sane. I realized why office politics and gossip was such a popular escape.

Anyways, I'm glad I got that experience out of the way. I much prefer my "must be able to stand for long periods at a time" job.

Old 10-22-2013, 10:39 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,481,533 times
I think you might like Business Development Manager. Sales, meeting people out of office, and marketing too! Or you could go outside sales. Sales is nice because you get a mix of in/out of office.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment