Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 01:57 PM

709 posts, read 1,130,529 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JXBC View Post
Not really frightening. It actually makes myself feel better that I'm not a leech to the global society, and actually make something of myself.
Many people try to make something of themselves and fail. It's not always laziness. The world is competitive and there is limited room at the top.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2013, 03:12 PM

1,411 posts, read 1,002,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
pretty much any and all govt jobs.

since the govt budget is up in the air many private world jobs are this way.

most of the old timers that are running companies think they need to spend 70 hrs a week working, well thats fine, but they also get paid way more. at 50k per year you should take on a job where you dont have to work past 8 a day, its just not worth it in the long run.

everyone is paid by the hour, once you get past 40 per week your hourly rate goes down, this is how the companies take advantage of salaried employees.

work smarter, not longer or harder.

I work with the Fed government. Have you looked at the GS pay scale? What government job can you get without a college degree that pays $50,000 a yr? I'm not talking about after 20 yrs and you work up to $50,000. I hate when people just quote stuff they know nothing about. With no college education, you are coming in at a GS-2 through GS-4. Engineers coming in at a GS-5/7 with a BS degree. So show me the uneducated government worker coming in at $50,000 yearly.

Old 11-14-2013, 03:34 PM

4,749 posts, read 4,323,760 times
The therapies (SLP, OT, PT) are flexible careers, have great pay, and different environments (school, clinic, nursing facility, hospital, etc.).

Here are some of the high demand careers that I can think of:
Speech-Language Pathologist (my career path)
Occupational Therapist
Physical Therapist
Audiologist (extension of SLP-requires Ph.D. or Au.D.)
Software developer
Physician assistant
Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetists (CRNA)
Registered Nurse (RN) *new grads are having trouble finding jobs
Nurse practitioner (NP)
IT (information technology) Analyst
Accountants
Actuary
Elementary school teacher
Special education teacher
School psychologist
Financial Advisers
HVAC technician
Pharmacist (Although, according to the kids on Grad Café, they can't find a job)
American Sign Language (ASL) Interpreter
Translator
Database Administrator
Diagnostic Medical Sonographer
Most of the engineering degrees

Old 11-14-2013, 03:38 PM

1,561 posts, read 2,371,891 times
Registered nurses make over $50,000 a year, at least where I live (Texas) and only work 36 hrs a week.

Old 11-14-2013, 03:43 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,737,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tewest86 View Post
I work with the Fed government. Have you looked at the GS pay scale? What government job can you get without a college degree that pays $50,000 a yr? I'm not talking about after 20 yrs and you work up to $50,000. I hate when people just quote stuff they know nothing about. With no college education, you are coming in at a GS-2 through GS-4. Engineers coming in at a GS-5/7 with a BS degree. So show me the uneducated government worker coming in at $50,000 yearly.
i use to work for the USACE, a GS13 had no BS degree started as a GS1, he worked his way up the ladder, of course he was a less desirable GS13, EOC.

many engineers come in as a 7 with a BS, 9 with MS, 11 with PHD, now that the budget sucks this is no longer true. I left for the private world due to furloughs and sequestration.

goodluck

Old 11-14-2013, 03:48 PM

709 posts, read 1,130,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post
The therapies (SLP, OT, PT) are flexible careers, have great pay, and different environments (school, clinic, nursing facility, hospital, etc.).

Here are some of the high demand careers that I can think of:
Occupational Therapist
Physical Therapist
Software developer
Physician assistant
Nurse practitioner (NP)
IT (information technology) Analyst
Accountants
Actuary
Elementary school teacher
Special education teacher
School psychologist
Financial Advisers
HVAC technician
Pharmacist (Although, according to the kids on Grad Café, they can't find a job)
American Sign Language (ASL) Interpreter
Translator
Database Administrator
Diagnostic Medical Sonographer
Most of the engineering degrees
Many of these are more than a 40 hour week. Also, some of these (like ES teacher) don't pay 50k or even close to it.

Old 11-14-2013, 03:50 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,737,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
I realize that it is popular to criticize anything government, but you are simply incorrect.

Virtually everybody earning 50k plus where I work puts in more than 40. If you include after hours emails, working on projects over the weekend and that type of thing, I doubt I could find a single person working under 45.

I am not saying that we are overworked, but I am saying that the stereotype of 9-5 government workers who leave the office with a clean desk and no responsibilities is wrong.
wasnt my experience as a fed employee.

Old 11-14-2013, 04:45 PM

4,749 posts, read 4,323,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Collateral View Post
Many of these are more than a 40 hour week. Also, some of these (like ES teacher) don't pay 50k or even close to it.
Really? Elementary school teachers make $50k in some areas.

Occupational Therapist
Physical Therapist
Physician assistant
Nurse practitioner (NP)
Biomedical Engineering

Here are some that won't do over 40 hours depending on which way you go… For instance, a SLP in the school system has a lot of paperwork (billing Medicaid), whereas one in the clinic has office managers to do that stuff; therefore, they have set hours. If a client doesn't show up, then they have that window open.

Old 11-14-2013, 05:03 PM

1,023 posts, read 1,552,432 times
What is an "absurd amount" of education? Bachelor's degree? Master's? IMO, a Master's degree is pretty standard for a comfortable professional-level job these days. I would say going to school for longer than you would have to go for a Master's - say, a JD, MD, or Phd - just to find a good 40 hr/week job, would be my definition of "absurd." It would also be foolish, since lawyers, doctors, and academics typically work MUCH longer than 40 hrs and are at the pinnacle of professions where work concerns consume social/family/home life (my partner has a PhD, I know what I'm talking about).

Personally, I got a Master's degree and then landed a government job paying ~$50k per year with my only experience being internships during grad school. Six years and a bumpy ride through the recession later, I'm earning in the $70s, with a benefit plan I would estimate to be worth another $40k or so (employer paid retirement and medical/dental/life premiums), plus guaranteed step increases and COLAs. For all that, I think about work from exactly 8:30 am to exactly 4:30 pm and that's it. I read novels on the train home while everyone else is checking emails and whatnot. Sometimes I have to stay late but I can always flex my schedule for that. The only downside is that I'm in a high COL area, but even in a low COL area I'd be making in the 50s by now.

Old 11-14-2013, 06:14 PM

2,305 posts, read 2,409,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
pretty much any and all govt jobs.

since the govt budget is up in the air many private world jobs are this way.

most of the old timers that are running companies think they need to spend 70 hrs a week working, well thats fine, but they also get paid way more. at 50k per year you should take on a job where you dont have to work past 8 a day, its just not worth it in the long run.

everyone is paid by the hour, once you get past 40 per week your hourly rate goes down, this is how the companies take advantage of salaried employees.

work smarter, not longer or harder.
Agree with this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment