Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 02:23 PM

48 posts, read 140,518 times

Advertisements

Like the title said, I graduated last year and right now I'm looking for work just to get my life moving in a positive direction. I have family in Louisiana and it seems that Houma is a very popular place for oil and gas workers. I've also heard of states like North Dakota and Mississippi are hubs for that kind of work.

Can anybody point me in the right direction? I figure I can do something like this while I'm young. Save money and finish college later.

How do I get started with this, where to apply? Any safety courses to take?
What are the different entry level tiers and what are the salaries generally and the cost of living in the areas they're located? It seems most oil and gas towns are small and extremely blue collar. What about Houston?

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2011, 03:42 PM

29,835 posts, read 24,927,606 times
You want to work on the oil platforms out in the gulf? You'd start as a roustabout and do the grunt work. The advantage is that you are young and can make do on the earnings given. It ain't terribly much, but shouldn't be a problem living on at your age. Again, age is in your advantage because you'll have more time to prove your worth and accumulate skills and knowledge. After that, you'll stand a much better chance of earning pretty darn good money. I hear North Dakota is booming because of oil. Haliburton will pay pretty good for your age. Oil is a very cyclical industry though, just be warned.

Old 09-23-2011, 04:33 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,359,422 times
I worked in the oil patch after high school. Back in 1984 I was making over $13 an hour while minumum wage was I think $4.35 or something. Back then some companies would have a room where you would show up in the morning and wait to see if they would need you. Everyone was sitting in the same room and their was seniority within the room. Over time I made it to the front of the line and was hired on the spot. Ended up working on a production rig changing pumps on well heads. You have 3 guys to a rig and would pull all the rods out and then all the tube out to access the pump. My job was at the top of the rig. I had to release the lift as soon as I sat the rod or tube in its spot. It isn't a job for the faint of heart and many jobs open up because someone gets hurt. I had replaced someone that had the business end of a tube land on the arch of their boot busting all the bones in their foot.

Old 09-23-2011, 05:29 PM

So it seems Haliburton is hiring a ton of people.. I bet the adjustment from Florida to North Dakota is gonna be ridiculous.

Old 09-23-2011, 08:44 PM

81 posts, read 234,989 times
Would not recommend North Dakota oil field work for those inexperienced and not familiar with the oil field trades. There is also an extreme housing shortage in the oil field areas here with many workers living in travel campers or company provided "mancamps". Also, unless you have lived in the upper midwest or points north, you may find the winter months here brutally cold, and many leave because of it. Not at all being discouraging, however those are some facts of the ND oil field work/lifestyle.

Old 09-23-2011, 09:34 PM

I've always been adventurous and I guess I'd like to experience at least once.

Is there anything I could do that could give me a boost in employment? I'm thinking I should get a CDL

Old 09-23-2011, 10:32 PM

81 posts, read 234,989 times
They get many applicants for the ND oil field CDL positions, and the ones who have the experience driving the trucks in snow, chaining tires, etc. tend to get hired.

Old 09-24-2011, 12:10 AM

29,835 posts, read 24,927,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDtrucker View Post
Would not recommend North Dakota oil field work for those inexperienced and not familiar with the oil field trades. There is also an extreme housing shortage in the oil field areas here with many workers living in travel campers or company provided "mancamps". Also, unless you have lived in the upper midwest or points north, you may find the winter months here brutally cold, and many leave because of it. Not at all being discouraging, however those are some facts of the ND oil field work/lifestyle.
Yes, but an experience like this could be a positive for young people. Good pay for hard work in harsh condition... Puts some thick skin on a young lad. Seems my parents generation did a good job of rearing soft children... Bought time they get toughened up by some good ol hard work! I imagine those campers aren't very well insulated for the winters though. Better bring some extra sweaters!

Old 09-24-2011, 07:45 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,937,594 times
Halliburton...North Dakota. They are hiring many unskilled laborers. Its hard work though.

Old 09-24-2011, 01:00 PM

Any other known places besides North Dakota? Louisiana, Houston area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment