Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 08:42 AM

2,008 posts, read 4,725,152 times

Advertisements

My suggestion for your son.... Lie. If he's as down as you say he is, he has to what he needs to do to survive. You say that places requires proficiency in XXXXX program. Then he needs to put that he is on his resume. If he gets an interview then he needs to buy a book and learn that program so he can be relevant in the interview.

My friend did this for a job. It required that he be proficient in a programming language he didn't know (he knew others, just not the specific one they wanted). He put down that he had experience with it and then when he got the call to set up for the interview he bought a book and studied that language until he was good. During the interview he was able to answer all the questions they had. Almost 10 years later at the job and I'm sure they could care less now if he told them that's how he got the interview.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2013, 09:26 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,621,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by windrunner4484 View Post
He has no money and we can't afford to help.
If he was on unemployment for a year, how is he out of money.

If I lost my job and was on unemployment, I'd be out there building fences, painting houses, pressure washing driveways, etc. I'd be stacking away money under the table in between interviews.

I could understand him being out of money if he unemployment ran out a year ago and side jobs didn't keep up with the mortgage payment, but from what I've read, he ran out of money when the unemployment checks stopped coming. To me, that reads that he did essentially nothing to earn any money, outside of unemployment, during that year.

Old 12-03-2013, 10:52 AM

4,505 posts, read 6,483,735 times
Quote:
If I lost my job and was on unemployment, I'd be out there building fences, painting houses, pressure washing driveways, etc. I'd be stacking away money under the table in between interviews.
I think I saw you at Home Depot Pedro!

Seriously, Pedro is right...you do what you gotta do...a YEAR on UE? I don't feel sorry for anyone who wastes that much time before figuring things out...sounds like he took a vacation and now can't get it in gear!

Old 12-03-2013, 11:04 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
If he was on unemployment for a year, how is he out of money.

I could understand him being out of money if he unemployment ran out a year ago and side jobs didn't keep up with the mortgage payment, but from what I've read, he ran out of money when the unemployment checks stopped coming. To me, that reads that he did essentially nothing to earn any money, outside of unemployment, during that year.
The issue I see with this thinking is we assume that you can find a form of secondary income. You can only do odd jobs around the community if there is a demand for it. For example: you won't shovel snow below the snow line in Arizona, you can't be a dog walker if the majority of dog owners walk their own dog or you cannot build fences if the community already has fences built. I realize there are many things on can do, however there is a lot of stuff that one could look and their community and write it off. I would say there is enough to try and start one if one has the time and the resources to do that.

Old 12-03-2013, 11:18 AM

It's the cousin Eddie syndrome!

http://www.hark.com/clips/wztnmzjxjf...ement-position

Old 12-03-2013, 11:50 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,972,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
The issue I see with this thinking is we assume that you can find a form of secondary income. You can only do odd jobs around the community if there is a demand for it. For example: you won't shovel snow below the snow line in Arizona, you can't be a dog walker if the majority of dog owners walk their own dog or you cannot build fences if the community already has fences built. I realize there are many things on can do, however there is a lot of stuff that one could look and their community and write it off. I would say there is enough to try and start one if one has the time and the resources to do that.
Anything beats doing nothing. He has had a very unproductive year. It is long past time to consider all options, relocating, new fields, multiple jobs, whatever, as his kids deserve better.

Old 12-03-2013, 12:36 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,175,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
I wouldn't hire him, either, for one simple reason.

The fact that he chose to be unemployed for a year, rather than dust himself off and immediately make an effort to re-enter the workforce, demonstrates a lack of motivation.

If nothing else, he could've delivered pizza or flipped burgers until the dust had settled on whatever caused his termination. That's the guy/girl I'd hire.

Your unemployment insurance is supposed to be used for RETRAINING, not LIVING expenses.

Old 12-03-2013, 12:52 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Anything beats doing nothing. He has had a very unproductive year. It is long past time to consider all options, relocating, new fields, multiple jobs, whatever, as his kids deserve better.
I am not debating that. I am just saying we can say "oh do this, do that" but we don't know the local. Shoveling snow for neighbors depends on 1 if the area gets (enough) snow and 2 if the neighbors do not shovel their own snow. Dog walking depends 1 if the neighbors have dogs and 2 if the neighbors do not walk their own dogs. Babysitting depends on 1 if the neighbors have kids, 2 if they are not old enough to watch themselves and 3 if the parents cannot watch them. House repairs and odd-jobs depends on if the neighbors are willing to do stuff themselves (if they are anything like my dad, that is a waste except for maybe two people.) Computer set up and repairs depend if the user is computer dumb (again like my dad.)

As for the other options, I rather leave that to another thread that I started to front that "myth". Can You Move on Little to No Money?

Old 12-03-2013, 12:56 PM

Mkpunk...you're laboring over the details...the point is that he could have done SOMETHING!

You suggest that there was not one single opening the entire year that he could've taken to lessen the impact of being unemployed?

No, what we're talking about is someone kicking back and living off the system instead of being responsible.

No job is beneath the unemployed IMHO.

Old 12-03-2013, 01:11 PM

6,562 posts, read 8,396,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by windrunner4484 View Post
Sorry, forgot to add he's in Virginia, Shenandoah Valley area.
OP, what part of the Shenandoah Valley? If in a rural part, he may need to branch out to cities such as Roanoke, Lynchburg, Harrisonburg, Winchester. If in northern Shenandoah Valley, he should look in Northern VA.

If he's exhausted all the local resources, he'll have to go where the jobs are - which may require relocating or changing fields.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment