Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2013, 09:35 AM

63 posts, read 227,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
I'd hate to see how nasty the guy at the top is. Who runs the company Vlad the Impaler?
Its more the department, not so much the company. These sales managers ugh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2013, 07:31 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,245,419 times
Default How was the Christmas party?

Just wondering.

Old 12-28-2013, 10:00 AM

2,612 posts, read 5,586,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
In your circumstances, I think this is particularly good advice. Barring a death in the family, you better show up everyday and get caught up on your work. I am only guessing but I bet the attendance problem is really grating on your boss, no matter what excuses you may have for it.
I agree about the attendance issue, especially the wedding time off. It's a pet peeve of mine, actually - people taking a week or two or three off for a wedding, planning a wedding, and a honeymoon. It's always something they planned before they got the job, but usually didn't mention at the interview. In any case, if you are looking for a job you probably shouldn't plan something like that. I took one day off for a courthouse wedding (waited another 6-7 months for a more appropriate time for a honeymoon) in order not to be one of those people. So I find it a pretty poor excuse and get really pissed when I am inconvenienced by people who do that - maybe the supervisor feels the same way.

Old 12-29-2013, 05:14 AM

1,646 posts, read 2,781,476 times
I get what is going on. Your boss is incompetent and can not do reports herself, so she has you (an administrative, not analytic position) do the reports for her. She hands the reports which were not analyzed to her boss who then looks at them and says "this is garbage". Your boss then goes back to you and says you are not up to par, but in reality you are in an Administrative role, not an Analyst role. If the reports you are "doing" are being sent to Senior Management, then your boss needs to look at the reports and catch things before they are handed in..but I don't think your boss knows what to do, therefore she is incompetent.

They should hire an Analyst to analyze reporting data that is submitted to senior management, or hire a Manager who knows what she is doing. She is trying to pawn off her incompetencies on you, but really you are only an Administrative person, she needs to look at herself. I hope for your sake, she is canned.

Old 12-29-2013, 06:31 AM

2,324 posts, read 2,907,374 times
Bad managers are notorious for blaming their staff for the manager's incompetence

Old 12-29-2013, 07:17 AM

1,581 posts, read 3,854,187 times
I confess I didn't read the whole thread-- I just got to the point where you said the letter you got said "final warning."

I am a manager of HR staff. We advise people like your manager on how to fire employees. You would never, as an employee, get something titled "final warning" unless the decision was made to let you go. So I agree with others on here that say to start looking for something else.

Many supervisors will be irritated when support staff can't manage priorities or take lots of time off. If you don't have vacation time and are taking unpaid time after only working there for 7 months, NO MATTER WHAT THE REASON, most supervisors would complain that you are unreliable. I am not sure how old you are, but it sounds as though your supervisor may be older than you, or at least have very clear ideas about how often you should be there and what you should be doing while you are there. Work ethic can differ generationally. Next time, get he expectations clear.

Absolutely do not go to HR unless you want your supervisor to know. We work for MANAGEMENT, not employees.

Next time you get a job, DO NOT take more than 2 sick days in the first 6 months or 1 week of planned vacation which your supervisor signs off on several months in advance. Period.

Old 12-29-2013, 10:00 AM

8 posts, read 9,305 times
If your boss really wanted you to just improve she would do it with discussions not final warning crap.

Be sure to write a written rebuttal to the boss and HR stating your side of the story and what things you have accomplished. Even copy a member of Senior Management on the Written response if you want to go more aggressive.

Verbally be nice and say you are happy to work with your boss etc.

You can also see a Mental Health Professional to give you a note for stress leave. You can provide this note to HR. Stress leave is a valid reason for taking time off work unpaid.

You can take this stress leave time to find a new job. I've seen this done by several in certain corporations when they get a PIP or some other BS paper trail setup.

Old 12-29-2013, 10:17 AM

8 posts, read 9,305 times
I still cringe when I hear HR and Management say they are dedicated to helping an employee get through this when they give a final warning or PIP. They actually look the employee in the eye and tell them this. What a crock.

As someone who has given employees PIPs as an instruction from Senior Management to reduce and force out staff and as someone who has received a baseless PIP, I would want no more part of such a thing.

Old 12-30-2013, 04:35 AM

1,646 posts, read 2,781,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by confusedasusual View Post
Next time you get a job, DO NOT take more than 2 sick days in the first 6 months or 1 week of planned vacation which your supervisor signs off on several months in advance. Period.
Yeah, who needs human empathy?

Old 12-30-2013, 06:24 AM

128 posts, read 267,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodSchoolols View Post
Yeah, who needs human empathy?
I'm not following...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment