Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2013, 02:43 PM

15,945 posts, read 12,281,411 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't say there are backstabbers here, but I am amazed at how much normal people pay attention to what everyone else is doing. I just do my job and constantly here about how such and such was doing this or that. I don't care honestly and don't want to know about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2013, 07:12 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,032,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zeppelin View Post
This is only true in the idealized world. Read this thread. I for one see plenty of evidence that you are wrong, but then again.... all of these people might be lying.
Actually, based on personal experience, doing your job well and not focusing on BS will make you a larger target for backstabbers. It doesn't matter that they are worthless liars - management will believe them because while you're busy working, they are busy sucking up. Then, when the layoffs hit, the workers are shown the door and the sociopath suck-ups keep their jobs.

Old 12-08-2013, 07:19 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,843,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
Actually, based on personal experience, doing your job well and not focusing on BS will make you a larger target for backstabbers. It doesn't matter that they are worthless liars - management will believe them because while you're busy working, they are busy sucking up. Then, when the layoffs hit, the workers are shown the door and the sociopath suck-ups keep their jobs.
That has been my experience as well.

Old 12-08-2013, 10:53 PM

2,672 posts, read 2,233,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
Personally, what I do is say HELLO to everyone once a day with a big smile and nothing else. And I stay out of all the arguments about politics and stuff in the breakroom. I never tell anyone what I think about anything. I don't say anything bad about anybody. I do my job to the best of my ability, help others when they ask for it and never leave my rear end exposed carelessly or neglectfully.

You can really make people like you by just saying hello to them by name everyday. But the more you talk, the more you risk. And that's my secret. It works pretty good. Plus, I don't want to be in charge anymore. There's nothing you can do when you're in charge, to keep the bullseye off your back.

Old 12-08-2013, 11:52 PM

2,026 posts, read 2,775,342 times
I work as a development engineer. For this kind of work, normally an engineer needs data or software or other prepared material from co-workers so I can do my thing on it and pass it over. Some co-workers gives it to me without me asking for it, or they give me everything after I asked once. But there are some others who are either lazy or incompetent and cannot or don't want to create the material and giving me nothing or garbage. The problem with this, is that based on garbage I can only produce garbage and I will be held responsible. And the other problem is some co-workers are unaccountable so when they fail to deliver the data/material to me they will not be held accountable, as the upper management does not have the ability to understand the actual data/material to be delivered from that group.
that is the background.

The actual story is: When I ask the bad co-worker for the data, he gives me garbage and bull****. Some times I have to prepare his work as well so I can go on with mine. When I mention this the co-worker denies it and lies that he delivered those pieces as well. Also starts making up lies about me not delivering or screwing op thing. I am lucky that the guy is so stupid that his accusations against me are easy to prove in a 1-2 day timescale. What is not lucky is that it happens again and again.
In another case I asked another guy from another team for the data, he gave me bull****. I asked again, then he called my boss to "get this guy off my back immediately and shut him up now!". Then my boss came to talk to me very upset and rude and told me to "get off his back immediately and shut up now!".

Old 12-09-2013, 01:05 AM

3,875 posts, read 3,870,204 times
The worst kind of back stabber is the older **** at work that has had plenty of flings over the years and believes she has the power to influence others at work because of this.

Younger female employees that are more attractive or better workers are seen as a threat and so are new male employees that ignore her BS.

This is usually the person that makes it much harder on her coworkers as she's got by over the years by putting out instead of actual work performance.

Old 12-09-2013, 04:21 AM

1,480 posts, read 2,795,858 times
One: I don't believe it is possible to ignore or isolate yourself from office politics and just do your job. Most professional jobs require you work as a team and you need to work with the nasty backstabbers.

Two: You guys have an advantage, you know who your work place enemies are. In my experience, most of my critics have been able to stay anonymous and the boss just told me every few weeks that "people" were complaining about me but would not tell me which people or any details about the complaints because he wanted them to be able to complain about me in confidence.

Old 12-09-2013, 02:15 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,650,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zeppelin View Post

You can really make people like you by just saying hello to them by name everyday. But the more you talk, the more you risk. And that's my secret. It works pretty good.
I believe this, too. I've seen it. The more you talk, the more you risk. I am not one to blab about anything, but there are those who purposely or stupidly or both say too much about everything. I look at work/ a job as a job. Hehe.

Old 12-09-2013, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buenos View Post
I work as a development engineer. For this kind of work, normally an engineer needs data or software or other prepared material from co-workers so I can do my thing on it and pass it over. Some co-workers gives it to me without me asking for it, or they give me everything after I asked once. But there are some others who are either lazy or incompetent and cannot or don't want to create the material and giving me nothing or garbage. The problem with this, is that based on garbage I can only produce garbage and I will be held responsible. And the other problem is some co-workers are unaccountable so when they fail to deliver the data/material to me they will not be held accountable, as the upper management does not have the ability to understand the actual data/material to be delivered from that group.
that is the background.

The actual story is: When I ask the bad co-worker for the data, he gives me garbage and bull****. Some times I have to prepare his work as well so I can go on with mine. When I mention this the co-worker denies it and lies that he delivered those pieces as well. Also starts making up lies about me not delivering or screwing op thing. I am lucky that the guy is so stupid that his accusations against me are easy to prove in a 1-2 day timescale. What is not lucky is that it happens again and again.
In another case I asked another guy from another team for the data, he gave me bull****. I asked again, then he called my boss to "get this guy off my back immediately and shut him up now!". Then my boss came to talk to me very upset and rude and told me to "get off his back immediately and shut up now!".
The thing to do here would be to give it back to the jerk and tell him it's not up to par in a reasonable and non-confrontational way. And, BEFORE you do that, show it to your boss, tell him what you're going to do and why, and then get his reaction. You've just got to make your case that this guy is hamstringing the process. But the key is to be diplomatic, cool and not upset at all about the situation.... because you're in control and you know what you're doing.

Then sit back and watch the other guy blow his stack and get defensive and prove he isn't in control.

Old 12-09-2013, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antarez View Post
The worst kind of back stabber is the older **** at work that has had plenty of flings over the years and believes she has the power to influence others at work because of this.

Younger female employees that are more attractive or better workers are seen as a threat and so are new male employees that ignore her BS.

This is usually the person that makes it much harder on her coworkers as she's got by over the years by putting out instead of actual work performance.

The thing to do is to not know anything about this woman's past in terms of what you tell other people. Really, you can't trust anyone who would gossip TO YOU - especially whoever told you about this woman's past. Anyone who gossips TO you will gossip about you. It's only a matter of time. It never fails. And others who listen to you gossip will tag you as untrustworthy, even if they listen with a big smile on their face and lap it up and repeat every bit of it. Because as soon as something happens where they get pissed at you... they'll have a handful of aces to throw down on you.

Don't ever tell anyone anything about this woman. It will get back to her. Sexual politics.... oh, the joy of it all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment